Training Camp 2021

AKRNA

On 8/25/2021 at 10:40 AM, grizmo78 said:

One thing I want to call out, is how well Vic has gotten our entire team prepared for the preseason games. No total turnovers, only 5 penalties vs the vikings and none vs the Seahawks. If he can improve on his in game management (time outs/clock management mainly) he could be one of the better head coaches in the league imo. I'm still not a big fan of having a defensive minded head coach as that would mean either below average offensive play or high turnover if they play well, but it could definitely be way worse (cough Vance Joseph, McDaniels, cough).

Lions fans said the same thing about Rod Marinelli in the preseason where they went 4-0. 

How'd that regular season play out? Does anyone remember? The Lions went 0-16. 

It's the pre freaking season

If we played Seattle, in Seattle, in October instead of August do you really see us winning 30-3? Give me a break. 

4 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Lions fans said the same thing about Rod Marinelli in the preseason where they went 4-0. 

If we played Seattle, in Seattle, in October instead of August do you really see us winning 30-3? Give me a break. 

That would be awesome if we went 0-16!! Like that is a hard thing to do. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Oh trust me, I'm not saying our preseason scores will definitely translate to regular season success, but we can give credit for having 80 players prepared and not have any penalties from any of them. Definitely better than the alternative of having tons of penalties. I'm all for being critical and cautious about interpreting what things mean, but no need to discount positives unnecessarily. 

1 hour ago, grizmo78 said:

Oh trust me, I'm not saying our preseason scores will definitely translate to regular season success, but we can give credit for having 80 players prepared and not have any penalties from any of them. Definitely better than the alternative of having tons of penalties. I'm all for being critical and cautious about interpreting what things mean, but no need to discount positives unnecessarily. 

That's the bar we're setting? "Hey we didn't have any penalties in the preseason! Orange slices for everyone!" 

Vic Fangio is a bad head coach. Period. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

You guys want to hear how a real Head Coach runs his training camp and preseason games, listen to Orlando Franklin, who was a coaching intern in San Fran, give his account. Listen to all 3 hours from August 18th. 

https://denverfan.com/category/podcast_results/?sid=1163&n=Orlando & Sandy

I mean that's kind of the issue with all this isn't it? If we are going that far back, we should have just handed the keys to Shanahan like in San Fran but we didn't want to which is why he picked there. As you and others have spoken about here, after that point there was a cascade of decisions that have led us to a standard of mediocrity whether it be getting Keenum, or Shurmur, or drafting 2 WR in a class already stacked with em when we had other large needs on the team. But yeah for perspective, they gave good perspective (in regards to the standard of mediocrity) on the radio for once when they talked about us not trying to have another Manning or Elway, but just trying to have another Siemian

46 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

You guys want to hear how a real Head Coach runs his training camp and preseason games, listen to Orlando Franklin, who was a coaching intern in San Fran, give his account. Listen to all 3 hours from August 18th. 

31-36 as a Head Coach. How many Superbowls has he won?

I'm just using your logic here.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

31-36 as a Head Coach. How many Superbowls has he won?

I'm just using your logic here.

I listened to it and I found it interesting how he operated with his staff versus what we’ve heard about our current staff. 

And, hate all you want, Kyle has coached in more Super Bowls than Paton/Vic/Shurmur combined. He’s coached in more Super Bowls than your fab-3 as an OC and he’s coached in more as an HC than your fab-3. Keep it coming. 

Actually if you’re gonna be semantic Shanahan has coached 2 SBs and Vic and Shurmur have each coached in 1 so while he definitely has the upper hand as a HC to act like he’s some coaching god is dumb. Dude has 1 winning season and blew a massive SB lead, you put him on a pedestal like he’s Bill Walsh. 

He may very well never sniff the SB again or he also could end up winning more than his dad but until then he’s a coach with a losing record. 

9 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I listened to it and I found it interesting how he operated with his staff versus what we’ve heard about our current staff. 

And, hate all you want, Kyle has coached in more Super Bowls than Paton/Vic/Shurmur combined. He’s coached in more Super Bowls than your fab-3 as an OC and he’s coached in more as an HC than your fab-3. Keep it coming. 

Again, show me where I have once said any of Fangio, Shurmur or Paton are even 'good' at their jobs, nevermind them being my fab 3.

The only thing I've said is Fangio is perhaps the best Defensive Coach in the NFL. If you dispute that, then this isn't the sport for you.

You're the one who over the past couple of days have gone on some rather strange rant about Paton not having won Superbowls like that's the only possible barometer of evaluation. Then, you contradict yourself by calling Kyle S a proper HC, despite him having a losing record and him tanking in his only 2 Superbowl appearances.

• Like 5

I'm one of the ppl who doesn't think Fangio can be our HC long-term if we want to take the steps needed to be a sustained contender.   But I would recognize he's  the best DC around.   He's also one of the best HC's in getting teams prepared, and his ability to develop cheap D talent is top tier.   He's just lost at the other decision-making aspects of HC that are needed, and rarely works well when the job is delegated elsewhere (because in crunch time, HC's rarely give it up and take over again).   To have teams ready for preseason isn't anything really different in Fangio's MO.  

My overall point - Fangio's ability to get teams ready partially explains the preseason success - but it's also more pronounced now that we have roster depth.    Roster wise minus QB, our O is IMO a top 10 group talent wise (but QB wise, it's bottom 5 talent, and that matters).  Our D depth is finally filling out.   So in preseason, with other teams playing their backups more than we have (I'll explain why next section) - we have a  talent mismatch AND depth, along with willingness to go all out with whoever is out there (and not just do "talent evaluation time" in 2H).   That's what leads to preseason success.   BAL has that with Harbaugh, I think they're 17-0 in preseason now last 5 years (wow - diff being their talent & coaching success keep them going in reg. season, vs. our past subpar roster talent and coaching issues since 2017+).   Overall though, preseason success rarely translates to reg. season alone because teams aren't playing full teams and rosters and even playbooks - but saving it for regular season. 

The fact we have had an all-out QB competition also explains the preseason success - because you need the starters and decent 2nd stringers out long enough to make the QB evaluation.  We've been playing 1 vs 2's and 2's vs 3's a LOT on O this preseason.  It's not really a surprise we are doing so well in preseason - nor is it a surprise to say it has no bearing on regular season success overall.

What it does do IMO - it likely increases the chances of a 3-0 start - because we start off facing 3 lesser talent teams and our squads have had more in-game time (and been fortunate enough to avoid crippling injury - fingers crossed this weekend!).    By going with Teddy now AND with getting a lot of preseason work in with 1 & 2's...we should be more prepared to start the season than other teams.   Against teams with a talent gap - it's 3-0 or bust IMO.   

Edited by Broncofan

19 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Interesting that Franklin notes the access Mike Shanahan has to the 49ers

• Like 1

21 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

If we got blown out you'd be calling for his head too. So basically, it wouldn't matter how we performed, you'd be complaining. This team is not even in the same orbit as that god awful Lions team. And you of course know that.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Again, show me where I have once said any of Fangio, Shurmur or Paton are even 'good' at their jobs, nevermind them being my fab 3.

The only thing I've said is Fangio is perhaps the best Defensive Coach in the NFL. If you dispute that, then this isn't the sport for you.

You're the one who over the past couple of days have gone on some rather strange rant about Paton not having won Superbowls like that's the only possible barometer of evaluation. Then, you contradict yourself by calling Kyle S a proper HC, despite him having a losing record and him tanking in his only 2 Superbowl appearances.

His last name is Shanahan so he can do no wrong.

• Like 1