Around the NFL: Only Commies like Carson.

Kiltman

1 hour ago, Danger said:

source? That seems pretty far fetched.

https://www.seattlepi.com/news/article/New-NFL-goal-A-longer-life-1272886.php

If you Google NFL player lifespan this is what Wikipedia will tell you and this is their source. They say 53-59 years old depending on position. I don't stand behind these numbers completely or anything only because I don't see where they show the data that proves the claim.  I'd like to find a better or corroborating source on it.

1 hour ago, Folesadelphia said:

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2019/05/former-football-pros-die-faster-rate-baseball-veterans-and-reasons-are-surprising

This is a better one and showed the life expectancy of an NFL player to 59.6 years old. 

NFL players back in the day took way harder hits in way worse equipment though. Also, Jason Peters doesn’t play a position where he would be susceptible to a lot of concussions or anything. He is a huge dude which will effect his life expectancy more so than anything. A lot of OL end up slimming down a lot after retirement though which Peters probably should’ve already entered.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

1 minute ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

NFL players back in the day took way harder hits in way worse equipment though. Also, Jason Peters doesn’t play a position where he would be susceptible to a lot of concussions or anything. He is a huge dude which will effect his life expectancy more so than anything. A lot of OL end up slimming down a lot after retirement though which Peters probably should’ve already entered.

I agree that more modern players probably will have longer lifespans than those used in the data set. How much longer, though? If you read the second source, it indicates the biggest cause of death was heart disease. So while the NFL has tried to minimize head injuries, they weren't the main reason for early death among NFL players anyway. However, the study did show that NFL players do also tend to develop neurodegenerative diseases earlier in life too. So, it's really not that crazy to think that Peters only makes it to his mid 60s at best. Being 350lbs is not healthy even if you have low body fat, which he doesn't. Carrying that type of weight around for years puts you at risk for heart disease. 

16 minutes ago, Folesadelphia said:

I agree that more modern players probably will have longer lifespans than those used in the data set. How much longer, though? If you read the second source, it indicates the biggest cause of death was heart disease. So while the NFL has tried to minimize head injuries, they weren't the main reason for early death among NFL players anyway. However, the study did show that NFL players do also tend to develop neurodegenerative diseases earlier in life too. So, it's really not that crazy to think that Peters only makes it to his mid 60s at best. Being 350lbs is not healthy even if you have low body fat, which he doesn't. Carrying that type of weight around for years puts you at risk for heart disease. 

Agreed about football players being higher weight. I mean about half the starters are OL and DL which are bigger dudes. Like I said a lot of them shed the weight pretty quick after they stop playing football though. Joe Thomas is a recent one.

But, there are a lot of them. Here is an article with more examples:

https://thesportsdrop.com/articles/former-nfl-players-who-lost-a-ton-of-weight-since-retiring/20/

I was trying to link some of the pictures, but I’m on my phone and couldn’t figure out how.

Hopefully for Peters sake he does like them and gets to a healthier weight, so he can extend his lifespan. 

Then again I don’t think he has any kids, so he may be fine not making it past his mid 60s.