Around the NFL: Only Commies like Carson.

Kiltman

30 minutes ago, Art_Vandalay said:

Giants fans still think Saquon was the right pick?

If you choose a RB any time before pick 25 you’re dumb or in tremendous shape. You’re either massively ignoring glaring roster holes or are a perennial playoff team. 

On 8/6/2021 at 2:29 PM, Jroc04 said:

If you choose a RB any time before pick 25 you’re dumb or in tremendous shape. You’re either massively ignoring glaring roster holes or are a perennial playoff team. 

I think you have to qualify that.
Any time you draft an Alabama RB or any similar RB before 25, it is true.

But, on occasion there are trancendent talents like Barry Sanders.
You can't miss on them.

5 hours ago, babyatemydingo said:

You can't miss on them.

I don't watch college ball so correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't saquon and gurley both considered transcendent talents as rbs.

1 hour ago, Daimonas said:

I don't watch college ball so correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't saquon and gurley both considered transcendent talents as rbs.

Barkley yes, Gurley? Eh not so much.

Barkley if he could stay healthy probably would be.

58 minutes ago, Art_Vandalay said:

But if your QB and O-line suck, does it even matter? That was the most baffling thing about the pick.

yeah I agree, but if they would have gone with conventional nature then, they'd hav Sam Darnold right now, which is still kind of a dead end situation.

I mean, sure maybe they could've gone with Josh Allen, but who knows if he pans out the way he has in Buffalo with a crappy supporting cast and who knows what inept coaching.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Art_Vandalay said:

But if your QB and O-line suck, does it even matter? That was the most baffling thing about the pick.

Yeah, you need to have at least part of your oline established and probably should have your QB figured out. Otherwise you get a talent like Saquon who looks on par with a ton of other guys. And when you’ll finally get the oline and QB together it’ll be just as he’s hitting the 5th yeah and it’s time to pay him. And the steep decline for RBs is soon after.

13 hours ago, babyatemydingo said:

You can't miss on them.

Still though, you can argue Barry was wasted in DET. He was maybe the best RB of all time and he enjoyed what, 4-5 winning seasons? I remember them being really good one year and even then didn’t get to a SB. All other playoff years were one and done. Funny thing is, Derek Thomas and Deion Sanders were picked directly behind him and I’d say they were probably a better fit. One was the best shut down CB of all time and the other was an elite pass rusher most all of his career, both HoFs and better building blocks. Point is, he maybe was a “can’t miss” but his franchise wasted his talent because they were just not ready to compete. 

1 hour ago, Danger said:

Why is Gale Sayers a Hall of Famer? I saw Calvin Johnson got inducted and thought he might be the youngest person ever to be inducted, but Gale Sayers narrowly beat him out. Looked at his numbers and they're pretty paltry TBH.

I obviously am not old enough to have seen him play, but he was supposedly one of the most graceful runners of all time according to my dad and other people I've heard talk about him. He had shiftiness and creative running that paved the way for those to follow like a Barry Sanders or a LeSean McCoy. He isn't one of those older players that you look back at and say "he was good for that era" or "he's boring to watch". He could've played today and just watching his highlights they are jaw dropping, especially considering the era he played in without the same advances in strength training and nutrition we have today.

Not sure how you call his numbers paltry either.

He only played 5 seasons really from 22 to 26 and one he missed a good amount of time due to an injury in 1968 when he was having his most productive season of his career rushing wise and then had the rest of his career completely derailed by following injuries before he was encouraged to retire. He had 14 TDs as a rookie. Won the rushing title his second season and his fifth season (last healthy one). Good chance if not for injury he would've possibly won the rushing title in 1968 (his 4th season). LeRoy Kelly far outpaced the next top rusher that year at 1,239 yards to 967 yards, but Sayers only played 9 games compared to Kelly's 14 and he averaged 95.1 yards per game to Kelly's 88.5 which was still a lot more than the next best which was 69.1. He averaged 5.0 YPC even with the injuries he had to go through.

Here are some excerpts from Wikipedia about his injuries:

1968–1969: Right knee injury and comeback season

Sayers had the most productive rushing yardage game of his career on November 3, 1968, against the Green Bay Packers, during which he carried 24 times for 205 yards.[40] His season ended prematurely the following week against the 49ers' Kermit Alexander, when he tore several ligaments in his right knee including his anterior cruciate ligament, his medial collateral ligament, and his meniscus cartilage. Garry Lyle, the teammate nearest Sayers at the time, said, "I saw his eyes sort of glass over. I heard him holler. I knew he was hurt."[41] Sayers had again been leading the league in rushing yards through the first nine games, and finished the year with 856 yards. After surgery, Sayers went through a physical rehabilitation program with the help of Piccolo, who had replaced him in the starting lineup.[42] Despite missing the Bears' final five games, he earned first-team All-Pro recognition from several media outlets, including the AP,[43] UPI,[44] and NEA.[45]

In the 1969 season, after a slow start and despite diminished speed and acceleration, Sayers led the league in rushing once again with 1,032 yards. He averaged 4.4 yards per carry and was the only player to gain over 1,000 rushing yards that year.

1970–1971: Left knee injury and retirement[edit]

In the 1970 preseason, Sayers suffered a second knee injury, this time bone bruises to his left knee. Attempting to play through the injury in the opening game against the Giants, his production was severely limited.[49] He sat out the next two games and returned in Week 4 against the Vikings, but he was still visibly hampered, most evidently when he was unable to chase down Vikings defensive lineman Alan Page during a 65-yard fumble return.[50] Sayers carried only six times for nine yards before further injuring his knee. He underwent surgery the following week and was deemed out for the remainder of the season.[51] He had carried 23 times for 52 yards to that point. During his off time, Sayers took classes to become a stockbroker and became the first black stockbroker in his company's history.[52] He also entered a Paine Webber program for 45 nationwide stockbroker trainees and placed second highest in sales.[53]

After another knee operation and rehabilitation period, Sayers attempted a comeback for the 1971 season. He was kept out of the first three games after carrying the ball only twice in the preseason, as Bears head coach Jim Dooley planned to slowly work him back into the rotation.[54] His first game back was against the New Orleans Saints on October 10, in which he carried eight times for 30 yards. After the game, he told reporters he was satisfied with his performance and that his knee felt fine.[55] The following week, against the 49ers, he carried five times before injuring his ankle in the first quarter,[56] an injury that ultimately caused him to miss the remainder of the season.[57] He was encouraged to retire but decided to give football one last try. Sayers' final game was in the 1972 preseason in which he fumbled twice in three carries; he retired from professional football days later.[58]

Context is important.

Here is a video from NFL Network where he was listed at 22nd best player all time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIpgdo9Ab38

Can't embed the video unfortunately. Damn NFL.

Here is another one (Top Rookie Seasons all time... comes in at #4): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp5ZjoiS_Yo

Here is a longer highlight film of him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcll_wwpT6I

MV5BMTkyNjQ3NTQ5Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzk3

Was also immortalized in Brian's Song which was a true story about him and his teammate Brian Piccolo.

His spot in Canton is more than deserved despite his career being cut short.