NBA Summer League Thread

15 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Yeah, I think 4 years guaranteed and then a 5th year qualifying offer. 

That's way better. Not sure why the Jazz traded back then.

16 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Coach K said it's better for prospects to go undrafted then to be a 2nd round pick because if you're a 2nd round pick an NBA team controls your rights but you don't get a guaranteed contract. While if you go undrafted you get to pick where you want to go.

Yep. It was reported teams were ready to pick both the Lakers undrafted guys we gave two way deals to just so they could go to where they wanted. Ayayi hasn't really shown up so far though. I've heard we've been misusing him, but he's kind of just faded. Austin Reaves looks like he made a good decision though.

He might get moved up to the parent roster on a full contract.

Fairly certain the Hornets SL guards would have been run out of the gym by a good AAU team tonight.   I think we had more turnovers than made field goals for the entire first half, and second half was only marginally better.   The entire team set the sport of basketball back by decades.   25 made field goals,  22 turnovers  .... and it didn't feel like they played even that well

The full stat line won't reflect it but Davion Mitchell looks the real deal for SAC.  Very impressive at controlling the game.  He absolutely harassed and manhandled Bouknight to the point that at times it looked like Bouknight was actively avoiding moving to get the ball in his hands and when he did have the ball he was turning it over anyway.    Bouk should still have ended with 13 pts on a really off night (1 missed goal tending call) and had a few impressive drives but we'll chalk this up to...a learning experience  (sounds better than an ***-thrashing)

BTW I was listening to someone talk on Twitter about Summer League and the guy asked the question "I think Green might be better than Cunningham" and he responded that you have to take SL with a grain of salt and how its "glorified pick-up basketball" and it favors 2 guards over guys who are gonna be running a team who have a tougher transition anyways. Made sure to reference Trae's SL experience who he's a huge huge fan of. I was also confused when I was watching the Pistons the first quarter when I actually watched cause I didn't get to see the whole game, but it seemed like they weren't letting Cade really run things like sometimes he wouldn't get a touch or he would just be standing over in the corner. He also said to the other guy to close it out that he thinks Cade will be better but he's "not mad at you thinking Green will be better he's an undeniable talent and he's gonna get buckets right away". He also talked about how Mobley as a big has a tougher transition too, especially with physicality and its not gonna be as seamless as some fans want it to be.@NYRaider

31 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I was also confused when I was watching the Pistons the first quarter when I actually watched cause I didn't get to see the whole game, but it seemed like they weren't letting Cade really run things like sometimes he wouldn't get a touch or he would just be standing over in the corner.

welcome to the dwane casey experience where we prioritize tyler cook post ups and three pg lineups over allowing your #1 pick to run the offense

• Like 1
Just now, TheRealMcCoy said:

Wait Casey is coaching SL? lol

But, yeah man it was tough to watch. 

no its our assistant coach for player development or something but almost everything i complained about 3 weeks into last season was evident last night

maybe worse than the rotations, the offense is eye gouge inducing. there aren't any sets to get guys open looks or favorable matchups. its all just dribble handoffs, a roulette of empty drive and kicks, some action where a big tries to initiate from the high post but nothing ever develops out of it, and the all too often blake, or even worse, mason plumlee post up. there's no off ball movement aside from the guy who might be taking a handoff. most times there are two guys just standing in the corner for whole possessions doing nothing. it feels like watching houston without the spacing, spacing, shooting ability, or iso scoring ability. there was a possession in the suns game i think where rose walked the ball up the court, which used 6 seconds of the shot clock, and then he just stood at the wing for 8 seconds trying to make an entry pass for an okafor post up, who turned it over on the catch. then at the end of the game needing a score to tie it, casey drew up a plumlee post up. jerami grant has fallen in love with contested mid range jumpers to the point that he's taking the 12th most shots per game in the nba, coming in at 76th in efg% and 80th in ts% (both of those numbers are the best on the team).

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, catcheryea said:

no its our assistant coach for player development or something but almost everything i complained about 3 weeks into last season was evident last night

Gotcha. I'll have to look out for some of that stuff you described. #PrayForCade

Hopefully you guys end up hiring a new coach next year

Edit: Wait I googled and you guys gave Casey an extension this offseason 😕

Edited by TheRealMcCoy
13 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Gotcha. I'll have to look out for some of that stuff you described. #PrayForCade

Hopefully you guys end up hiring a new coach next year

Edit: Wait I googled and you guys gave Casey an extension this offseason 😕

yGGNoEX.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

favors 2 guards over guys who are gonna be running a team who have a tougher transition anyways. @NYRaider

So why would Cade not be favored? He's not a PG, he's a scoring wing. Cade had 17 FGA, 2 assists, 5 TO, and 0 FTA, lol. 

Edited by NYRaider