2022 NBA Draft Thread

NYRaider

1 hour ago, Texansfan713 said:

Winners

Rockets-  The homer in me says the Rockets had the best draft.  Got a player who many people had going 1, at pick 3.  Tari Eason was nice value at 17.  Fills a huge need for the Rockets, then traded back and got 2 extra 2nd rounders while getting TyTy Washington at 29 is a steal. 

Your homerism will allow you to spin anything, I love it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I'm probably in the minority but I really didn't love what the Thunder did in the draft.

me neither. I think it hinges on Dieng and how he ends up.  obviously loved the chet pick. Jalen Williams was definitely a reach at pick 12. 

Edited by Texansfan713

8 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

me neither. I think it hinges on Dieng and how he ends up.  obviously loved the chet pick. Jaylen Williams was definitely a reach at pick 12. 

I think Jalen Williams was a decent value at #12, he was reportedly the biggest riser during the pre draft process. I just don't love his fit with Giddey/SGA as another perimeter player that's at his best with the ball in his hands. I think Chet/Dieng are two of the biggest boom/bust players in this years class. Overall they got good value with where they picked, I just don't look at their young core and see a real star player outside of SGA or a team that's going to be a contender. 

When you look at the Rockets adding Jalen Green/Jabari Smith or the Pistons adding Cade Cunningham/Jaden Ivey it's just difficult for me to get excited about Chet Holmgren/Josh Giddey. 

The Kings passing on Ivey was me saying "thankfully Im already done with them the second they traded away Haliburton". And I get that Ivey didnt want to go to the Kings but you still draft him and see what happens. Worst case scenario is the Kings own his rights and if the Pistons want to trade for him you can ask compensation and if the Pistons dont want to give up anything and Ivey dont want to play then he can sit out.

The Knicks are going to be the Knicks. Stephen A had me rolling. The Knicks traded the pick to clear cap space to go get Brunson. Stephen A said the Knicks are doing all of this for Brunson. They are acting like Brunson is KD or something. Idk what the Knicks are doing. Thats why they have been irrelevant and still is irrelevant.

I loved the fact that Banchero went 1st overall. As a matter of fact, Duke players were well represented in the 1st round. Griffin and Williams went back to back I think 15 and 16. But all talk was Chet or Smith Jr. going 1st overall for Banchero to go 1st. I loved it. There was talk early in the draft process Banchero is likely to go 1st overall and he did nothing to change that throughout the college basketball season so rightfully so he went 1st overall.

With all that said, Chet going to the Thunder was a great pick 2nd overall. If Im the Thunder I would try my hardest to get the 1st overall pick next year to get Wembanyama. They say he is the best prospect since LeBron. He is a mix of Gobert and KD. Can you imagine the Thunder with him, Chet, SGA, and Giddy? Talk about a young core that could rise up quickly into title contenders for many many years to come.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

The Kings passing on Ivey was me saying "thankfully Im already done with them the second they traded away Haliburton". And I get that Ivey didnt want to go to the Kings but you still draft him and see what happens. Worst case scenario is the Kings own his rights and if the Pistons want to trade for him you can ask compensation and if the Pistons dont want to give up anything and Ivey dont want to play then he can sit out.

The Knicks are going to be the Knicks. Stephen A had me rolling. The Knicks traded the pick to clear cap space to go get Brunson. Stephen A said the Knicks are doing all of this for Brunson. They are acting like Brunson is KD or something. Idk what the Knicks are doing. Thats why they have been irrelevant and still is irrelevant.

Yeah that was my biggest gripe with the Kings draft approach, they just missed a golden opportunity to acquire more draft assets while still landing the guy they wanted. They leaked out that they were super high on Murray and that he went to dinner with their star players a few days before the draft. Like how does that benefit the team in any way shape or form when they'e trying to create leverage for a potential trade. The best strategy would've been to draft Ivey and then immediately start working deals with the Pistons, Pacers, Thunder, and Knicks. One of those teams would've bit on a trade, imo.

James Dolan legitimately runs the Knicks like they're a small market team. Dude traded away two lottery picks within a few minutes with good prospects on the board so that he could dump Kemba Walker's salary and save a whopping $9M. The only way it'd even be somewhat justifiable is if they thought they could legitimately land an elite, top tier player. I like Jalen Brunson but to be sacrificing lottery picks so you can shed salary to max him out has disaster written all over it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Yeah that was my biggest gripe with the Kings draft approach, they just missed a golden opportunity to acquire more draft assets while still landing the guy they wanted. They leaked out that they were super high on Murray and that he went to dinner with their star players a few days before the draft. Like how does that benefit the team in any way shape or form when they'e trying to create leverage for a potential trade. The best strategy would've been to draft Ivey and then immediately start working deals with the Pistons, Pacers, Thunder, and Knicks. One of those teams would've bit on a trade, imo.

James Dolan legitimately runs the Knicks like they're a small market team. Dude traded away two lottery picks within a few minutes with good prospects on the board so that he could dump Kemba Walker's salary and save a whopping $9M. The only way it'd even be somewhat justifiable is if they thought they could legitimately land an elite, top tier player. I like Jalen Brunson but to be sacrificing lottery picks so you can shed salary to max him out has disaster written all over it.

The Kings have been a joke for awhile and its painfully obvious. Same way the Knicks have been a joke for awhile. They just dont know how to do things the smart way.

5 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

The Kings have been a joke for awhile and its painfully obvious. Same way the Knicks have been a joke for awhile. They just dont know how to do things the smart way.

There’s no arguing that at all haha, however there are a handful of reports saying that the Pacers were actually interested in moving up for Murray, not Ivey. Probably wishful thinking, but it’s possible the Kings were leaking the Murray pre-draft stuff attempting to get them to up their offer of Duarte and pick 6. That’s the rumored offer on the table, which if holds any truth, would have been accepted immediately if I was running things. But the Kings wanted more if they were going to be passing up on Murray who was “their guy”. 

Even if the Pacers targeting Murray and not Ivey are true Kings could have squeezed something out of the Pistons for pick 4 or Ivey. Unless they were really fine going Ivey or Manthurin 

Edited by Fureys49ers

1 hour ago, stl4life07 said:

It's just crazy because even when they bring new people into the front office to run the team they still just make weird moves. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fureys49ers said:

Even if the Pacers targeting Murray and not Ivey are true Kings could have squeezed something out of the Pistons for pick 4 or Ivey. Unless they were really fine going Ivey or Manthurin 

Ivey was the most valuable trade asset in the draft, you would've had no problem finding a team that was ready and willing to give up a kings ransom for him.