2022 NBA Draft Thread

NYRaider

On 1/8/2022 at 12:26 PM, MOSteelers56 said:

Do Paolo or Jabari have the ability to play above the rim? Seems like neither produce a lot of wow highlight plays like monster blocks and dunks. To the people that watch them, do they have the ability to do these things, is it scheme related? Seems like all their points are scored with 3s, mid range jumpers, and layups. Am I just spoiled because of past prospects like Zion? 

smith seems closer to being a 3 than a 5 to me. i’ve seen some good things from him defending on the perimeter and he’s long enough to alter some shots down low but i don’t think he’ll ever be your franchise rim protecting defensive anchor. on offense it doesn’t seem like they try to get him going downhill as a screener that often but i guess that’s because kessler’s occupying that space already 

i haven’t watched as much of paolo but the important thing is that neither of their offensive games should preclude you from getting that rim running guy

something that’s been intriguing to me recently is if the pistons can get one of those two and then can acquire another 1st rounder for grant to see if you can find a way to also land mark williams

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I thought Paolo looked great against Wake. He was playing big and above the rim. Why do you say Griffin will be better? Not calling you out, just curious. 

AJ's game is just perfect for the modern NBA. I feel like Paolo is what he is but we don't know AJ's ceiling yet. 

• Like 2

On 1/14/2022 at 12:48 PM, beekay414 said:

AJ's game is just perfect for the modern NBA. I feel like Paolo is what he is but we don't know AJ's ceiling yet. 

I've seen 4-5 Duke games this season now and while I certainly wouldn't criticize anyone for taking Paolo 1st, if I were an expansion franchise (so what I have already doesn't figure in the equation) and had the #1 pick, I think I would lean towards Griffin.  He's a prototypical build for an NBA SG, has a 7' wingspan which is going to make him a problem for other guards/wings when he's defending them, is still a young 18, and has been shooting the lights out.

I'm a Chet fan, but that body build screams complementary piece more so than someone you build around.

I haven't had a chance to see Jabari Smith play yet.

Banchero is the total package and very pro ready. He's good at everything on offense. It is all there for him to have a money jumper and become a 25 PPG scorer at next level. Doesn't have a dazzling ceiling I suppose since he's not an insane athlete or have crazy length but it's very easy to see how his skills and body will translate to next level. Think he is the safest #1 pick among the 3 bigs, and by safest I mean best chance to be a franchise core piece. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

i like his chances better guarding 4's than 5's.  depends on his weight gain.  centers are going to abuse him early in his career.

I think it's a pretty clear path to a stretch 4, where you get less physical play than at the 5 and Chet's length will makeup for any athletic mismatches, which won't be as prevalent as some think. The form is there and I think his 3 pt shot will come around, he just needs another 10000 reps.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

I think it's a pretty clear path to a stretch 4, where you get less physical play than at the 5 and Chet's length will makeup for any athletic mismatches, which won't be as prevalent as some think. The form is there and I think his 3 pt shot will come around, he just needs another 10000 reps.

He is shooting almost 40% from three already on 3 shots per game.  I think that number improves but his shot is already there to be effective.  He is definitely a stretch 4 but could play the 5 and be ok when teams go smaller and would have the advantage. 

Paolo feels like he could be the next KAT.  Good offensive player, liability on D, not sure you will build a championship team around him but will fill up stat sheets.  

• Like 1