2022 NBA Draft Thread

NYRaider

8 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

One thing I'd like to know is how many guys have that much NBA success after sitting out for a year and then getting picked highly? The only one that I can think of off the top of my head is Enes Kanter.

I am not sure there have been enough of them to really say there is a trend one way or another.  How many have sat out a year, went pro and not turned out?  There also has not been someone as highly touted as Sharpe sit out a whole year other than Wiseman maybe. 

Kyrie played very little.  Jalen Johnson only played a few games but didnt sit out entirely. Wiseman didn't play and questions still out on him but looking like a bust. Lamelo Ball played in a so so league but still played.  

1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I am not sure there have been enough of them to really say there is a trend one way or another.  How many have sat out a year, went pro and not turned out?  There also has not been someone as highly touted as Sharpe sit out a whole year other than Wiseman maybe. 

Kyrie played very little.  Jalen Johnson only played a few games but didnt sit out entirely. Wiseman didn't play and questions still out on him but looking like a bust. Lamelo Ball played in a so so league but still played.  

James Wiseman and Enes Kanter are the only two prospects that I can think of that were originally supposed to play college basketball, were ruled ineligible, and then were taken early in the draft. Both of them were top 5 recruits coming into college as well. 

Just now, NYRaider said:

There have been other guys with limited film like LaMelo Ball, Dante Exum, Thon Maker, and Emmanuel Mudiay that were taken highly. 

Most of those guys had a lot of tape overseas at least.  More against higher than HS competition than Sharpe has anyways. 

Was there a reason he didn't play this year once determined he could? It just seems odd to me.  Not really the mentality I want in a kid, if it was his decision.  The intrigue is definitely keeping his stock up but I am nervous he is a Brandon Boston or Jaden Hardy. 

3 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Most of those guys had a lot of tape overseas at least.  More against higher than HS competition than Sharpe has anyways. 

Was there a reason he didn't play this year once determined he could? It just seems odd to me.  Not really the mentality I want in a kid, if it was his decision.  The intrigue is definitely keeping his stock up but I am nervous he is a Brandon Boston or Jaden Hardy. 

He was originally a part of the 2022 recruiting class, decided to reclassify in January to prepare for next season, and then I think the rule had just changed so his family realized he just met the requirements to be draft eligible this year. The plan was apparently for him to just get acclimated to campus, etc. and then play next year according to Cal. He was eligible to play immediately so I don't know why he sat out. 

He sat out of the U19 tournament last summer and scouts weren't allowed to attend EYBL games while he was still playing. So whoever does draft him will have to do so without ever having him seen play a game live, lol. There's really not even that much film on him since he didn't play HS basketball last year either.

26 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

a team with 2 firsts in the lottery should take a gamble on him like the Blazers.  

It's just insane that he's likely going top 10 and he hasn't even played competitive basketball in like a year and literally no NBA scouts have ever seen him play in person, lol.

UCLA 9th man F Peyton Watson declares for the draft and hires an agent.  Played 12 minutes a game averaged 3 points and less than 3 rb per game.  My best guess is he wasn't going to qualify academically or literally never attended class, because just being a 6'8" wing probably doesn't get you drafted.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

UCLA 9th man F Peyton Watson declares for the draft and hires an agent.  Played 12 minutes a game averaged 3 points and less than 3 rb per game.  My best guess is he wasn't going to qualify academically or literally never attended class, because just being a 6'8" wing probably doesn't get you drafted.

He was a top 10 recruit coming into UCLA and is supposedly a good defender. Dude got bunnies but will definitely be headed to the G-League, lol.

• Like 1