Eagles LT Jason Peters tore his ACL and MCL

marky mark

30 minutes ago, BLick12 said:

Dude, guys play banged up literally every single week. Peters has definitely had some general wear and tear the last few years, but a catastrophic knee injury like this has nothing to do with him breaking down and everything to do with being unlucky and having a 300 pound lineman cave his knee the wrong direction.

Ya guys are banged up, not injured. Idk how your acting like hes just been some injury free iron man for the last few years. He has had a lot more than your every day banged up that doesnt make the news. He has been an almost constant on the injury report. Hes 300 lbs and 35 years old. I doubt this injury happens is he was 25. There was plenty of writing on the wall that he has been redlining his body for the last few years.

14 minutes ago, eagles101 said:

Ya guys are banged up, not injured. Idk how your acting like hes just been some injury free iron man for the last few years. He has had a lot more than your every day banged up that doesnt make the news. He has been an almost constant on the injury report. Hes 300 lbs and 35 years old. I doubt this injury happens is he was 25. There was plenty of writing on the wall that he has been redlining his body for the last few years.

I can't believe I'm even debating this.  If you're injured, you're not playing. What he has right now is an injury.  He's been dinged up the last few years, but still healthy enough to play.  Is it a cause for concern? Not really, a lot of guys in the NFL play the same way. I'm pretty sure Big Ben hasn't practiced during the regular season since 2001 because his name is always on the list, but it's no reason to believe he'll suffer a significant injury.

This injury would happen to any lineman, regardless of their age.  Legs don't bend like that.  And lineman young and old get injured regularly on those types of plays.  

8 minutes ago, BLick12 said:

I can't believe I'm even debating this.  If you're injured, you're not playing. What he has right now is an injury.  He's been dinged up the last few years, but still healthy enough to play.  Is it a cause for concern? Not really, a lot of guys in the NFL play the same way. I'm pretty sure Big Ben hasn't practiced during the regular season since 2001 because his name is always on the list, but it's no reason to believe he'll suffer a significant injury.

This injury would happen to any lineman, regardless of their age.  Legs don't bend like that.  And lineman young and old get injured regularly on those types of plays.  

Are you really just debating the semantics of injury? Like there is a injury report, if your on it i consider you injured. So battle semantics all you want, hes been hurt, banged up, injured, etc. more often then not. 

Ben gets hurt because of his play. Hes always been hurt because hes a rough and tough player. 

Peters injuries are signs of his body giving out. Thats obvious. You can pretend like every player has the same problems but just by some happenstance dont get on the injury report like him but its just not true. 

And yes and person has there knee bend like that is going to get hurt but not every player would have there knee bend like that. Its not lole he got rolled up on hard. Plenty of young and old people get hurt on things similar but far more players dont get hurt on things like that. 

5 hours ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Nine time pro bowler, 6 time all pro , played at an elite level for 12 years, how is this guy not a HoF LT.  He would have been an all pro and pro bowler this year if he hadn't got hurt.The only thing Peters didn't do is win a Super Bowl. If this guy isn't a HoFer, who is?

Sometimes Matts just makes the most ridiculous arguments.

Ruben Brown, Alan Faneca, and Kevin Mawae have struggled to make Canton with similar accolades. It isn't really that cut and dry. It's hard to make it as an offensive linemen.

I'm kind of torn, personally. I've never thought of Peters as a hall of famer, to be honest. The awards do make it look that way. But part of me feels that may just be him playing in a weak era for OTs. He's always been one of the best LTs in the league, but he's never been an all-time great kind of LT. I wouldn't put him up there with Jones or Pace or Roaf or Ogden of the era just before him, for instance. Since then it has generally felt like Joe Thomas at the top, follow by a few guys a tier below. Peters has been consistently in that tier below, but that just doesn't feel hall of fame material.

9 hours ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Nine time pro bowler, 6 time all pro , played at an elite level for 12 years, how is this guy not a HoF LT.  He would have been an all pro and pro bowler this year if he hadn't got hurt.The only thing Peters didn't do is win a Super Bowl. If this guy isn't a HoFer, who is?

Sometimes Matts just makes the most ridiculous arguments.

21 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

The latter statement here is why I don't think he has any shot. He's never been the PREMIER OT. He's been the very good OT.

He has literally been named the first team all pro LT twice in his career. But yeah, definitely not the Premier OT in the NFL at any point of his career.

How many players have been put in the hall even though they weren't the undisputed number one player at their position at any time? Why does Peters playing at the same time as someone who you have claimed is perceived as one of the greatest OTs of all time even hurt his case? If anything, the fact that he was able to get two first team all pro awards with Thomas in the league should be a sign of his greatness in general.

This isn't some guy who was good for a few years being pimped by his fan base, this is a guy who has dominated at his position for over a decade and has the accolades to show for it. Hell he was playing at the highest level in the league this season before he got hurt. There isn't even a question if he deserves to get in, he does. Does he actually end up getting in? I absolutely think he does, you can argue he wasn't perceived to ever be that great, but I would say you just have a short memory. 

Happy @Matts4313?

5 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Ruben Brown, Alan Faneca, and Kevin Mawae have struggled to make Canton with similar accolades. It isn't really that cut and dry. It's hard to make it as an offensive linemen.

I'm kind of torn, personally. I've never thought of Peters as a hall of famer, to be honest. The awards do make it look that way. But part of me feels that may just be him playing in a weak era for OTs. He's always been one of the best LTs in the league, but he's never been an all-time great kind of LT. I wouldn't put him up there with Jones or Pace or Roaf or Ogden of the era just before him, for instance. Since then it has generally felt like Joe Thomas at the top, follow by a few guys a tier below. Peters has been consistently in that tier below, but that just doesn't feel hall of fame material.

That's a really interesting HOF conundrum, because I would agree that I don't think of Peters in the same realm as Pace / Roaf / Walter Jones / Ogden. But against his contemporaries, he's certainly been one of the best over the last decade. It's kind of the inverse with what's going on with skill players who are blowing by the stats and skill of their predecessors, but are mired within a group of contemporaries where it makes them not seem like hall of famers. 

13 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Are there any non-Eagles fans/homers that think Peters is a HOF lock?

Are you going to give a reasonable argument for why isn't HoF player? Compare him to players currently in the Hall. The only thing he lacks is a ring, and yet there are numerous other OTs in the hall with 0 rings.

The "he played in a weak era" argument is garbarge and simply fueled by feelings of nostalgia. People are claiming Joe Thomas is an all time great in this era, but on top of that we are playing in a league that is completely different than 10-20 years ago. We pass the ball at a much higher rate, DE's and DT's are much better at getting to the QB in general, and running the football is a compliment to offenses to open up the pass. Playing OT in the NFL is much harder now than it was all those years ago, and we still have numerous top tier OT's in the league who get the job done day in and day out. So if Peters has the accolades of HoFer, the elite longevity of an HoFer, and he played in a league where playing OT is much harder now than it was in the past, why is not a HoF caliber OT?

I actually have yet to read a single argument that actually makes any sense other than the fact that three other guys who deserve to be in the hall, and likely will be one day (especially Faneca and Mawae), are currently not there. But lets just ignore that he was one of the two best OTs in the league this season at the age of 35 before he got hurt because nostalgia says he "probably" wasn't as good as the guys before him.

He doesn't have the name recognition. He's never been the best OT in the league. He's an afterthought in the minds of the voters. Maybe he is worthy of the HOF, but he does not past the "name test." If I had to come up with a list of the best 5 OT's in the NFL right now, he wouldn't be on that list. And it's because I'd forget about him. As would a lot of people I suspect.

I don't watch enough Eagles games to say whether or not he deserves to get in. But I do know that his name is rarely thrown around by people outside of Philly. Nobody talks about great OT's unless you're an all-time great like Joe Thomas. He is not an all-time great. There are no stats to point to that say, "THIS is how good he was." You almost have to go off name recognition when it comes to OL. Peters doesn't have that IMO.

Go throw snowballs at Santa, Homer Simpson. It's not that big of a deal that we don't think an awesome player is HOF-caliber.

50 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

He doesn't have the name recognition. He's never been the best OT in the league. He's an afterthought in the minds of the voters. Maybe he is worthy of the HOF, but he does not past the "name test." If I had to come up with a list of the best 5 OT's in the NFL right now, he wouldn't be on that list. And it's because I'd forget about him. As would a lot of people I suspect.

I don't watch enough Eagles games to say whether or not he deserves to get in. But I do know that his name is rarely thrown around by people outside of Philly. Nobody talks about great OT's unless you're an all-time great like Joe Thomas. He is not an all-time great. There are no stats to point to that say, "THIS is how good he was." You almost have to go off name recognition when it comes to OL. Peters doesn't have that IMO.

Go throw snowballs at Santa, Homer Simpson. It's not that big of a deal that we don't think an awesome player is HOF-caliber.

Name recognition is an interesting argument, but completely based from your own experiences. You might not think he has the name recognition other players have, but that is based purely on your own experience. I would hope that people who are voting on HoF players would have a little bit more expertise on the subject than you. It is why they are voting for the awards and we aren't.

And if you are going to whine about me bringing up valid issues with your arguments why even post on the site? Isn't that what this platform is for? To talk about and debate football?

2 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Disregarding the whole "no name recognition", which is ridiculous because he has 9 Pro Bowls to his name (probably would have 10 if not for injury this year), and that is widely regarded as being based on "name recognition".

But, If there was only if a way to measure Peters and other lineman through stats...if only...hmm...

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=7122

(sacks allowed)

JasonPeters.png

Archived