Preseason, Week 1: Broncos (0-0) at VIKINGS (0-0)

swede700

13 hours ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

Hate to say it this early in the season, but I don't like our chances at making the playoffs if we don't pull this one out.

A true must win. 

In all seriousness (which I know this was not), I do think it's important to get off to a good start with the first preseason game in 2 years.  Hopefully, the first team offense can just march down the field and score and then sit for the rest of the game.  

On 8/8/2021 at 7:06 AM, Ozzy said:

Will be interesting to watch Quinn Meinerz and Netane Muti for the Broncos both guys Vikings could have drafted as interior OL, will see how they look.  Not to mention watch Risner if he plays, a guy I wanted the Vikings to take 1st round few years back.

Javonte Williams will be fun to watch also and great to see Teddy also get yet another shot at starting and he could not question take the job from Lock in the season.  Also will see how Stephen looks with a new team, might be better in a 3/4.  

Also is curious how the young rookie safeties are for the Broncos, they are stacked with youth and tons of good players in Jamar Johnson, Caden Sterns and Kary Vincent Jr.  From previous years also have Bassey, Dawson and Ojemudia who are solid players.  Not to mention the starters in Darby, Fuller, Kareem Jackson and Justin Simmons.  Hell of a secondary there potentially and Callahan in the slot and Patrick Surtain II who could be a starter sooner rather than later.   

They better hope Von Miller can stay healthy because that backup OLB group is not super deep once you get past Chubb and Miller.  ILB is decent but Jewell is out and I think Browning got hurt as well but he was a great draft choice.  

Some context of how our players have looked in camp so far:

Muti has been getting some 1st team reps and has been praised for taking a big jump going into his second year. Broncos fans are pretty excited about his potential.

Meinerz has been struggling, especially at center. Just seems to be too big of a jump for him coming from D3. That said, our Oline coach Munchak does wonders and we tend to see lineman starting to thrive after 2-3 years with him. 

Risner, haven't actually heard too much about him other than he is more vocal, helping get the Oline on the same page, and trying to be more of a leader. Did great year 1, took a step back year 2 partly due to some injuries as well as a terrible year from our rookie center. This is a big year for him to get back on pace to being an above average player. Cautiously hopeful for him. 

Javonte Williams by all accounts has been great and is already listed over Boone as our #2 RB on the first depth chart release. He has been praised for his well roundedness and turning up when the pads come on. Very excited for him to learn the ropes from Gordon this year, then take over next. 

Our DB room is stacked... Simmons and Jackson are one of the best safety duos in the league. Behind them, this biggest contributor so far has been Caden Sterns who has had a knack for getting his hands on the ball. He is still doing some catching up from being out of camp early, but has been showing pretty well. The biggest question from him is his tackling and we won't know how that is until games. If he can be consistent there, he may be our replacement for Jackson after this year. Jamar Johnson has been out and most likely won't get playing time this year because of it. He's just too far behind. Same with Kary Vincent Jr who I was super excited about. Might be for the best though as we are likely going to have to cut good players at the position. Hoping we can stash him on the practice squad. Surtain has been incredibly impressive, looking like a Vet. He would be a fun one to keep an eye on. 

Beyond that, our QBs have been alternating what days they "win". Teddy started camp very conservative with mostly check downs but he has started to open it up as of late. Lock is still boom or bust. He is capable of making great throws but isn't able to be consistent. He does seem a little improved, but that isn't saying much when you were one of the worst starting QBs last year. I anticipate we see both start games this year. 

Other interesting players to keep an eye on: Calvin Anderson (battling for RT), Kendall Hilton (HOF QB lighting it up as a WR), Trinity Benson (Bottom of the depth chart WR who has been showing well) and Justin Strnad (LB). 

We are deepest at CB and WR so if we are going to cut talent, that's likely where you'll be looking to poach from us. 

Edited by grizmo78
  • Like 3

In other preseason action Rodney Adams is doing quite well on the Bears today, former 2017 Minnesota Vikings draft pick.  I always liked him as a receiver, sucks he could not stick around for the Vikings but awesome he is still going at it and might make the Bears roster.

Also Justin Fields looks like a bigger stronger version of Kyler Murray, who also has probably a stronger throwing arm as well.  With experience and his ability to scramble, that could be hell for defenses to deal with.  And that OL is getting some push which is a surprise because I think they have a lot of guys out.