Keeper Help

AkronsWitness

Hello! Looking for some help in my 3WR 2RB 1FLX 12-team, .5 PPR league lol

Need 2 keepers and here are the rounds I have them in from last year.

1st- Zeke

2nd- Godwin

3rd- Dobbins

4th- Metcalf

Im def. keeping Metcalf, the question is who do you keep between Zeke and Dobbins. Dobbins in the 3rd? or spend my 1st to keep Zeke.

Im not sure Ill be able to keep Dobbins and redraft Zeke since I have the 6th pick.

It comes down to do you like Metcalf/Dobbins + keep 1st or do you like Metcalf/Zeke + lost my 1st rounder.

48 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Hello! Looking for some help in my 3WR 2RB 1FLX 12-team, .5 PPR league lol

Need 2 keepers and here are the rounds I have them in from last year.

1st- Zeke

2nd- Godwin

3rd- Dobbins

4th- Metcalf

Im def. keeping Metcalf, the question is who do you keep between Zeke and Dobbins. Dobbins in the 3rd? or spend my 1st to keep Zeke.

Im not sure Ill be able to keep Dobbins and redraft Zeke since I have the 6th pick.

It comes down to do you like Metcalf/Dobbins + keep 1st or do you like Metcalf/Zeke + lost my 1st rounder.

Probably keep Dobbins still unless the majority of the 1st round RBs are being kept. Worst case you’re probsbly looking at an Ekeler or Aaron Jones at 1.06

Just now, AFF said:

Probably keep Dobbins still unless the majority of the 1st round RBs are being kept. Worst case you’re probsbly looking at an Ekeler or Aaron Jones at 1.06

Yeah the obvious guys will be gone that are projected 1st rounders. If there is a good RB put back in the pool--at #6 I will be out of range.

Im leaning towards Metcalf/Dobbins and keeping my #1/#2 round picks to pluck whoever is there. Maybe get lucky and have Zeke fall back to me at #6 if people get scared away. I just didnt know if anybody has heard if Dobbins will be the #1 bellcow even if Edwards is there or how Zeke is looking this year because he scared me away last year.

5 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I'd probably go Dobbins. If the keeper pool gets more clear follow up and we can weigh in. I agree with you though, its unlikely Zeke falls

Usually there are 3-4 "top tier' guys thrown back but Im pretty confident Ill be out of that range.

Most likely I will be selecting between guys like Chris Carson, Austin Eckler, Chris Godwin, ect with the 6th pick. More like 2nd-3rd round guys in the 1st.

35 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Usually there are 3-4 "top tier' guys thrown back but Im pretty confident Ill be out of that range.

Most likely I will be selecting between guys like Chris Carson, Austin Eckler, Chris Godwin, ect with the 6th pick. More like 2nd-3rd round guys in the 1st.

Thats interesting because you can see the difference between Zeke at 6 and those guys then. 

5 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Thats interesting because you can see the difference between Zeke at 6 and those guys then. 

Oh yeah, each person can keep a player for up to 3 years--then they have to throw them back into the pool. Thats how I got Zeke last year with the #2 pick. Somebody who had him for 3 years already had to put him back. I took him and he literally rode my bench the last 5 games of the year.

So because of this there is always 2-4 normal 'top tier' guys being thrown back after their 3 year window with one team expires. There are 12 teams and 2 keepers per team so that is 24 of probably the top 35 players already off the board before the draft starts.

By name value alone I have a hard time believing if I put Zeke back into the pool that he would make it past the top 3 picks. Usually the 1st round consists of those top tier guys who are thrown back and people reaching on really good rookies.

I might have a chance at Najee Harris at #6

Edited by AkronsWitness

10 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Oh yeah, each person can keep a player for up to 3 years--then they have to throw them back into the pool. Thats how I got Zeke last year with the #2 pick. Somebody who had him for 3 years already had to put him back. I took him and he literally rode my bench the last 5 games of the year.

So because of this there is always 2-4 normal 'top tier' guys being thrown back after their 3 year window with one team expires. There are 12 teams and 2 keepers per team so that is 24 of probably the top 35 players already off the board before the draft starts.

By name value alone I have a hard time believing if I put Zeke back into the pool that he would make it past the top 3 picks. Usually the 1st round consists of those top tier guys who are thrown back and people reaching on really good rookies.

I might have a chance at Najee Harris at #6

if you think you have a chance at Najee at 6 then you absolutely keep Dobbins

18 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

if you think you have a chance at Najee at 6 then you absolutely keep Dobbins

Cool Metcalf/Dobbins it is then. Worst case scenerio is that Im stick with Dobbins/Eckler or there might be a really good WR like Julio/Godwin there at #6 if no RB1/RB2 are left on the board.

Edited by AkronsWitness

• 3 weeks later...

i can choose 1 keeper

- 12 team, 0.5 ppr, 2RB, 2WR, 1 Flex league
- draft position has not been determined yet

my viable choices are Diontae Johnson for a 7th rounder, Chase Edmonds for a 9th rounder, or Myles Gaskin for a 10th rounder. 

obviously diontae is the best player in a vacuum here, but i like the appeal of having Gaskin as a secure-ish RB2 in the back pocket, instead of worrying about finding a guy off the scrap heap, as i intend to grab a top 3 TE and hammer WR after round 1

On 8/26/2021 at 12:56 PM, Turnobili said:

i can choose 1 keeper

- 12 team, 0.5 ppr, 2RB, 2WR, 1 Flex league
- draft position has not been determined yet

my viable choices are Diontae Johnson for a 7th rounder, Chase Edmonds for a 9th rounder, or Myles Gaskin for a 10th rounder. 

obviously diontae is the best player in a vacuum here, but i like the appeal of having Gaskin as a secure-ish RB2 in the back pocket, instead of worrying about finding a guy off the scrap heap, as i intend to grab a top 3 TE and hammer WR after round 1

I hate Diontae Johnson TBH given that he is essentially a boom or bust WR3 in PIT with a QB who has a stitched together throwing arm.

Im keeping Gaskin in the 10th for suuuuuuuure and here are my reasons

1) Hes the bonafide #1 RB on a NFL team

2) He looked very 'stable' last year and gets his far share of volume--also in the receiving game. He will always be in that 8-15 PT range which is very reliable on a weekly basis as your RB2 or FLEX.

3) RBs in fantasy are just more valuable than WRs. You can find a WR off the waiver who will give you Dionte Johnson production by week 3.

4) Gaskin in the 10th gives you 4th round value.

5) There are roughly 20 RBs worth a crap in fantasy--if you have 1, dont let them go. Especially if you have one at a 10th round value.

HM- You could also go with Edmonds if you personally like him better. I think him and Gaskin are very comparable RBs.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

I hate Diontae Johnson TBH given that he is essentially a boom or bust WR3 in PIT with a QB who has a stitched together throwing arm.

Im keeping Gaskin in the 10th for suuuuuuuure and here are my reasons

1) Hes the bonafide #1 RB on a NFL team

2) He looked very 'stable' last year and gets his far share of volume--also in the receiving game. He will always be in that 8-15 PT range which is very reliable on a weekly basis as your RB2 or FLEX.

3) RBs in fantasy are just more valuable than WRs. You can find a WR off the waiver who will give you Dionte Johnson production by week 3.

4) Gaskin in the 10th gives you 4th round value.

5) There are roughly 20 RBs worth a crap in fantasy--if you have 1, dont let them go. Especially if you have one at a 10th round value.

HM- You could also go with Edmonds if you personally like him better. I think him and Gaskin are very comparable RBs.

honestly i disagree pretty strongly with point #3... i dont think you're replicating diontae johnson production. they have johnson playing 15 games but he also left like 1-2 games in the first quarter with injuries, so his per game numbers are actually deflated. he's a bona fide 100 reception player which you're not just getting off the waiver wire. 

fringe RB2/flex guys like Gaskin? i mean gaskin himself was a WW guy. and RBs become hot waiver pickups because when the starter goes down, more often than not the primary backup is not owned (except for select handcuffs), and the backup inherits a starter workload. but when WRs get hurt, you dont see the backup WR pile on 8-9 targets just because they're on the field. olamide zacchaeus wasnt putting up numbers just because julio was out. i would say the exception is when a true talent like Justin Jefferson gets more opportunity, they will produce. but you're not just finding JAGS put up numbers. you do get that with RBs though (Mike Davis, etc)

also dont really see diontae is a boom or bust type. he's a pretty steady PPR guy.

but even after all that my gut is still probably telling me Gaskin. i used to be a RB truther (take 3 RBs with first 4 picks, etc). have cooled off that a bit in recent years, not that i ever go with true 0RB drafts. still, i like a guy who, even in a muddy backfield, will probably be a reliable 8-12 points per week for a 10th round pick which is borderline free. can still get a starting caliber fantasy player in round 7, not so much in 10

Edited by Turnobili

9 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

honestly i disagree pretty strongly with point #3... i dont think you're replicating diontae johnson production. they have johnson playing 15 games but he also left like 1-2 games in the first quarter with injuries, so his per game numbers are actually deflated. he's a bona fide 100 reception player which you're not just getting off the waiver wire. 

fringe RB2/flex guys like Gaskin? i mean gaskin himself was a WW guy. and RBs become hot waiver pickups because when the starter goes down, more often than not the primary backup is not owned (except for select handcuffs), and the backup inherits a starter workload. but when WRs get hurt, you dont see the backup WR pile on 8-9 targets just because they're on the field. olamide zacchaeus wasnt putting up numbers just because julio was out. i would say the exception is when a true talent like Justin Jefferson gets more opportunity, they will produce. but you're not just finding JAGS put up numbers. you do get that with RBs though (Mike Davis, etc)

also dont really see diontae is a boom or bust type. he's a pretty steady PPR guy.

but even after all that my gut is still probably telling me Gaskin. i used to be a RB truther (take 3 RBs with first 4 picks, etc). have cooled off that a bit in recent years, not that i ever go with true 0RB drafts. still, i like a guy who, even in a muddy backfield, will probably be a reliable 8-12 points per week for a 10th round pick which is borderline free. can still get a starting caliber fantasy player in round 7, not so much in 10

I have to agree with @AkronsWitness tbh.  I dont love Johnson at his ADP.  Ben is older, Claypool will cut more into target share.  Harris will get more rush attempts reducing opportunities for Johnson.  There is a reason Gaskins has a higher ADP than Johnson by about 20 spots.  You can find WRs like Johnson every year.  There are just more of them because most teams have 2/3 that put up numbers.  I would much rather keep Gaskins and find a better WR early in the draft.  Side note, 7th round you are drafting starters still, 10th round is depth.  Having a RB2 drafted in the 10th is crazy value. 

4 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I have to agree with @AkronsWitness tbh.  I dont love Johnson at his ADP.  Ben is older, Claypool will cut more into target share.  Harris will get more rush attempts reducing opportunities for Johnson.  There is a reason Gaskins has a higher ADP than Johnson by about 20 spots.  You can find WRs like Johnson every year.  There are just more of them because most teams have 2/3 that put up numbers.  I would much rather keep Gaskins and find a better WR early in the draft.  Side note, 7th round you are drafting starters still, 10th round is depth.  Having a RB2 drafted in the 10th is crazy value. 

yeah i think part of why im leaning Gaskin, aside from the draft price (which is the reason i gave above for why i'm leaning Gaskin) is the format of the league. 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex, as opposed to leagues with 3 WR or 2 Flex (where WR becomes more important).

i'm honestly not worried about Diontae's production. im not sure where you are seeing that ADP, though. ive seen some where one is ahead of the other, usually within a round