Looking To Build A PC.....Need Help

@AkronsWitness If you are looking on newegg I would look at ABS brand. 

If you want to do some of your own research as well, you can pick and choose here and there are some pretty good deals: https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Syber-M-Xtreme-400 

And finally, here is a good link to follow: https://www.reddit.com /r/suggestapc/comments/gxl8wd/discussion_an_easy_guide_to_buying_the_best/

Edited by JBURGE
  • Like 1

I built my PC right before all PC parts began to skyrocket. 

All I total, not counting taxes, my PC cost just over $1100 to build last April.     Now, that same PC would cost over $1500.

Not a good time to build.   Told my boss the same thing when he told me his son wanted to build one.

Buy a prebuilt.    Its actually cheaper to do that right now.    Just dont do Dell or Alienware.   Ive bought from CyberPowerPC twice in the past with good results.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, 43M said:

All I total, not counting taxes, my PC cost just over $1100 to build last April.     Now, that same PC would cost over $1500.

Not a good time to build.   Told my boss the same thing when he told me his son wanted to build one.

Buy a prebuilt.    Its actually cheaper to do that right now.    Just dont do Dell or Alienware.   Ive bought from CyberPowerPC twice in the past with good results.

This was several years ago but I bought a prebuilt CyberPowerPC and have been quite happy with it (although I admit I rarely use it).  I didn’t buy a top end model since I don’t really play games on pc that push the graphics, but I only spent like $650 on it (not including monitors or anything). The only hiccup I had was that I originally bought it on Amazon and had it shipped directly to my house, and during shipping the motherboard chip came lose and bent some of the attaching pieces so the pc wouldn’t work at all.  Had to return that one and bought the same unit online from Best Buy and just drove to the store to pick it up.  I think it was like $15 more expensive through Best Buy but at least I knew it worked.

• Like 1

I would recommend building one yourself if possible.  While it seems like a lot of money upfront (and it is), it is a better choice financially long-term than buying a prebuilt.  Even the best of prebuilt PCs charge you more than what is actually being used, sometimes a lot more.  This doesn't make them bad, but it does mean you're a lot more likely to need upgrades 5 years from now than someone who built their PC at a similar price.

Plus, at least for me, I like that I am familiar with how my PC was built and that if there are any issues, I can fix it.

Not that any of this is me saying buying a prebuilt is bad.  It has a lot of positives too, number one of which is convivence.  And if you mainly want to play FPS's and sports games, then you probably don't need to worry about future upgrades as much. 

It really will just depend on how long you want to wait to have a PC.  Graphic cards are stupid expensive, so if you want to build it you are going to have to wait awhile for a quality graphic card to become available at a decent price.  If you want it soon then probably just buy a prebuild.  Just be cautious about the companies you buy from.

As far as the price, you absolutely don't need to spend 3k on a system.  This was my build:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/duckscanflytoo/saved/#view=kGTqpg

Not included in the final price on there is that I ended up with the Samsung SSD, bought the 3600X rather than the 3600 CPU (which isn't necessary, think I just got the 3600X because they were doing a deal), and the graphics card price isn't on there because of the shortage currently but it was $410.  So all in all I spent roughly $2200 on my PC.  But for the average gamer, I'd say that is a pretty strong system - I can play every game at high settings.  You could cutback on some of the quality of stuff, like the CPU, SSD, monitor, case, and keyboard and it could knock you back down to around $1700-1800 with still a good system.  Really unless you want an absolute beast of a system, there is no reason to spend 3k.  

• Like 1

On 8/5/2021 at 8:06 PM, AkronsWitness said:

lol Im in my 30s now and have been holding a controller for 20+ years, there is no changing now. I dont have the patience to go through a learning curve of mouse/keyboard at 34 y/o.

With the console though, nobody I know plays on console anymore--all of my friends are on PC. So getting a console is also about being able to play/chat with friends. 

My work PC is also like 6 years old and still runs Windows 7. Im thinking of just asking them to get me a nice new work PC and add whatever components into it myself to make it a 'gaming PC'. I assume its just a powerful graphics card and a butt load of RAM?

Then you might as well stick with console gaming. Keyboard and mouse is much more precise than having a controller input, and experienced FPS players will frustrate the heck out of you. 

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Then you might as well stick with console gaming. Keyboard and mouse is much more precise than having a controller input, and experienced FPS players will frustrate the heck out of you. 

Ya I don't really see the point of building a gaming cpu then using a controller.  

2 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Game selection and price. It's not about what you use as a controller more than it is about the experience. The actually controller/keyboard is the last thing I care about when doing this.

I'm not paying $850 for a PS/Xbox that retails at $500 while also simultaneously pigeon holing myself into playing only that systems titles.

There are 2x the amount of games on a PC than there is on a exclusive console. Having a PC is like owning both a PS and Xbox and then some on top of it.

Edited by AkronsWitness

25 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Game selection and price. It's not about what you use as a controller more than it is about the experience. The actually controller/keyboard is the last thing I care about when doing this.

I'm not paying $850 for a PS/Xbox that retails at $500 while also simultaneously pigeon holing myself into playing only that systems titles.

There are 2x the amount of games on a PC than there is on a exclusive console. Having a PC is like owning both a PS and Xbox and then some on top of it.

Then I highly suggest putting the time into learning keyboard and mouse for FPS. I was a 2-1 KD ratio player in Battlefield and COD and never turned positive on the PC for either game. 

don’t get me wrong, not judging you on the cost factor. I got a gaming laptop, and still have one, because I love Star Wars: The Old Republic. I tried to switch everything over but FPS on PC was just not fun for me. 

3 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Mouse/Keyboard are definitely superior for aiming, but most FPS games implement really strong aim assist that allows controllers to compete. There are numerous games where controller is even better, and cross platform tournaments have seen many controller players win.

No reason preferring a controller should steer someone away from getting into PC gaming IMO.

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Then I highly suggest putting the time into learning keyboard and mouse for FPS. I was a 2-1 KD ratio player in Battlefield and COD and never turned positive on the PC for either game. 

don’t get me wrong, not judging you on the cost factor. I got a gaming laptop, and still have one, because I love Star Wars: The Old Republic. I tried to switch everything over but FPS on PC was just not fun for me. 

Was that on mouse and keyboard or with a controller?

Idk, I really just want something to game on and there are so many cool games I want to try that are only on PC or specify to a console. The new Halo for example is for PC as well so I can play a Xbox exclusive on PC.

That and honestly I really don't play much anymore so having a good PC to work on and occasionally switch over to gaming when I want seems ideal. Better than dripping mega $$ on a overpriced console that I can only use for gaming.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Ya I don't really see the point of building a gaming cpu then using a controller.  

There are a bunch of reasons to build a gaming PC beyond what peripherals you use to play.   I dont play FPS at all.    The only times I use keyboard and mouse are for MMOs (which I rarely play) and some RPGs.  I use an XBox controller for most games I play on PC.

Mods, advanced graphic settings, emulation and a huge library of games you cant find on consoles are just a few reasons to build/buy a gaming PC.  

Especially if you're a Sony console guy like me...my gaming PC allows me to play all XBox games without having to get an XBox.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2021 at 9:44 AM, 43M said:

This is the one I have my eye on.

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Gaming-Desktop-i7-10th-GeForce/dp/B08DX8V93F/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=dell+g5&qid=1628520930&sr=8-4

I also dont know how much of a difference there is between that one and this one. I know the specs are less but is it really THAT noticable to save $700?? Is there a extremely noticeable difference in these two?

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Desktop-i5-10th-GeForce-i5000-5378BLK-PUS/dp/B08DWSC3DC/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=dell+g5&qid=1628521020&sr=8-3

Edited by AkronsWitness

2 hours ago, 43M said:

There are a bunch of reasons to build a gaming PC beyond what peripherals you use to play.   I dont play FPS at all.    The only times I use keyboard and mouse are for MMOs (which I rarely play) and some RPGs.  I use an XBox controller for most games I play on PC.

Mods, advanced graphic settings, emulation and a huge library of games you cant find on consoles are just a few reasons to build/buy a gaming PC.  

Especially if you're a Sony console guy like me...my gaming PC allows me to play all XBox games without having to get an XBox.

Ya but an Xbox is way cheaper

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

Not right now. Consoles are still $850 and thats before you buy any accessories which would easily put you over 1k. From what Ive seen you can get a solid prebuilt gaming PC for around $1,200 which you can also use as a good normal every day computer as well. So its like 2in1 whereas a console is strictly for gaming only which makes the additional $200-$300 bucks for a PC the far better longterm value.

Like I said I dont game nearly as much as I used to so my biggest fear is spending $1k on a new console and not playing it nearly enough to justify the cost. At least with a PC, I know Im going to use it everyday for work and web browsing at the bare minumum so I wont feel like a total POS if I dont put crazy hours into gaming. Because of my job the cost will still be justifiable 

Edited by AkronsWitness

3 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

But a PC has way more uses than just gaming.

Plus mods.

Plus advanced settings.

Plus emulators.

Plus xBox exclusive games and PC games.

Im not saying a gaming PC is right for everyone, but its worth it if you want more overall options in pretty much every facet.