Looking To Build A PC.....Need Help

2 minutes ago, 43M said:

But a PC has way more uses than just gaming.

Plus mods.

Plus advanced settings.

Plus emulators.

Plus xBox exclusive games and PC games.

Im not saying a gaming PC is right for everyone, but its worth it if you want more overall options in pretty much every facet.

You can probably get an Xbox and a laptop for less than a gaming pc.

7 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

This is the one I have my eye on.

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Gaming-Desktop-i7-10th-GeForce/dp/B08DX8V93F/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=dell+g5&qid=1628520930&sr=8-4

I also dont know how much of a difference there is between that one and this one. I know the specs are less but is it really THAT noticable to save $700?? Is there a extremely noticeable difference in these two?

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Desktop-i5-10th-GeForce-i5000-5378BLK-PUS/dp/B08DWSC3DC/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=dell+g5&qid=1628521020&sr=8-3

The cheaper one is waaaaay better of a deal. The $1600 is crazy overpriced; the GPU is maybe 10-15% better at best. The CPU/RAM aren't great on the second one, but for like half the cost, it's a much better value. Your gaming experience would be pretty similar on either, especially if you're playing in 1080p. With that being said, I haven't heard great things about Dell prebuilts. They routinely score pretty low compared to pretty much every other brand.

Those prebuilds don't look like very good deals to me even with GPU prices. Or is other stuff inflated too?

Ran very close to my build, without secondary drives through PC parts builder and that's tower only and got to 1500. Yikes. Yeah stuff is high, though it's still mostly GPU. Think I got my Ryzen on sale to start the whole build

Edited by Norm

2 hours ago, elevators_rule said:

The cheaper one is waaaaay better of a deal. The $1600 is crazy overpriced; the GPU is maybe 10-15% better at best. The CPU/RAM aren't great on the second one, but for like half the cost, it's a much better value. Your gaming experience would be pretty similar on either, especially if you're playing in 1080p. With that being said, I haven't heard great things about Dell prebuilts. They routinely score pretty low compared to pretty much every other brand.

Dam.....any suggestions? I'm trying to keep it in the $800-1,400 range. I haven't been over to reddit yet to ask anybody over there.

Herss the other one I was looking at too but I know nothing about computers to know what one is better

https://www.amazon.com/Skytech-Shadow-Gaming-Computer-Desktop/dp/B095RS6L2V?th=1&psc=1

Edited by AkronsWitness

How strict is that price range? 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B093CG8VHP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_JFKWX4W2KSRAM19YBDX8

That's a really good deal in today's market... That GPU alone will cost you that price. If you can afford it I'd jump at that one right now and don't look back.

Under $1,400 is tough in today's market... It's possible... But you're looking at a low end gaming PC with a GPU already outdated.

EDIT:

Btw I was being slightly sarcastic that GPU won't really cost you $1,800 on its own but it legitimately will run you $1,200. 

Edited by rob_shadows

9 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

How strict is that price range? 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B093CG8VHP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_JFKWX4W2KSRAM19YBDX8

That's a really good deal in today's market... That GPU alone will cost you that price. If you can afford it I'd jump at that one right now and don't look back.

Under $1,400 is tough in today's market... It's possible... But you're looking at a low end gaming PC with a GPU already outdated.

EDIT:

Btw I was being slightly sarcastic that GPU won't really cost you $1,800 on its own but it legitimately will run you $1,200. 

Well heres my situation. I work from home (thanks Covid) and my work PC through my job is on its last leg. It hit me since I need a new work PC, maybe I could ask our IT guy to take whatever he would spend on a new work PC--and just get me a decent gaming PC that could do both so I dont have to spend $850+ of my own money on a console. I also do web design/graphics for my job so my PC already needs to be good enough to run big programs like the Adobe Suite well.

Im not sure what they would be willing to spend but probably the same cost of a good professional desktop that can run Adobe smooth. Whatever that is.

I know when he buys new computers, he buys those mini All-In-Ones that I think are made my Lenovo if you know what Im talking about? Its not a big tower, but a smaller box you can basically mount to the back of the monitor. Apparently those are in the 2k+ range.

Edited by AkronsWitness

On 8/5/2021 at 8:09 PM, AkronsWitness said:

More power to you sir, Ive spent the last 3 years getting pwned by a bunch of GFuel 12 year olds in Call of Duty who have the reaction time of a cat. I need a wireless Playstation controller for PC if thats a thing.

Most PS controllers are Bluetooth. I've been able to hook a PS4 controller to my PC with no issues. 

6 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Well heres my situation. I work from home (thanks Covid) and my work PC through my job is on its last leg. It hit me since I need a new work PC, maybe I could ask our IT guy to take whatever he would spend on a new work PC--and just get me a decent gaming PC that could do both so I dont have to spend $850+ of my own money on a console. I also do web design/graphics for my job so my PC already needs to be good enough to run big programs like the Adobe Suite well.

Im not sure what they would be willing to spend but probably the same cost of a good professional desktop that can run Adobe smooth. Whatever that is.

I know when he buys new computers, he buys those mini All-In-Ones that I think are made my Lenovo if you know what Im talking about? Its not a big tower, but a smaller box you can basically mount to the back of the monitor. Apparently those are in the 2k+ range.

Sadly just like the consoles are overpriced at like $800+, PCs are in a similar boat. The chip shortage has lowered the supply of most important PC parts driving the price up pretty high.

Honestly, the PC that rob posted is actually pretty great all things considered. It'll easily outperform the consoles while also being really good at the entire Adobe Suite- like top tier.

Another really good deal is this one: https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1PK8HT

Using code 'SUMMIT', it should be $1249. It's a little bit worse than the one posted above, but like $600 cheaper. Honestly one of the best deals out I've seen so far.

If you wait maybe 1 year, you'd probably be able to get that same PC for $850, but in that scenario you're pretty much in the same place as just waiting for a console.

Edited by elevators_rule

2 hours ago, elevators_rule said:

Sadly just like the consoles are overpriced at like $800+, PCs are in a similar boat. The chip shortage has lowered the supply of most important PC parts driving the price up pretty high.

Honestly, the PC that rob posted is actually pretty great all things considered. It'll easily outperform the consoles while also being really good at the entire Adobe Suite- like top tier.

Another really good deal is this one: https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1PK8HT

Using code 'SUMMIT', it should be $1249. It's a little bit worse than the one posted above, but like $600 cheaper. Honestly one of the best deals out I've seen so far.

If you wait maybe 1 year, you'd probably be able to get that same PC for $850, but in that scenario you're pretty much in the same place as just waiting for a console.

Well I have a update lol I sent the link to that ASUS one that Rob posted to our IT guy. He said it was a really good computer with a good price (all things considered) and that he send the proposal over to our director for approval lol

He said it was on the expensive side but it was worth a shot.

Fingers crossed it gets approved!!

• Like 1

On 8/5/2021 at 8:00 PM, MKnight82 said:

My personal experience from years and years of gaming, just get a console.  A gaming PC will be super expensive and you'll constantly have to upgrade it.  Just my 2 cents.

Wait, back to this.

Constantly upgrade? What? You can literally build one now that will be stronger than the PS5 with ease.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Supersuavesky said:

Wait, back to this.

Constantly upgrade? What? You can literally build one now that will be stronger than the PS5 with ease.

I think he's referring to every 4-5 years you need to keep up with the hardware and constantly upgrade things like graphics cards when they become 'old tech'

I personally have no idea how long a good graphic card lasts until it becomes ancient by tech world standards.

Edited by AkronsWitness

21 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I think he's referring to every 4-5 years you need to keep up with the hardware and constantly upgrade things like graphics cards when they become 'old tech'

I personally have no idea how long a good graphic card lasts until it becomes ancient by tech world standards.

It's a bit of a myth. If you buy a graphics card today that's better than a PS5/Xbox, in 5 years it'll still be better than a PS5/Xbox. So it really only applies as logic if you consider having to upgrade to the 'pro' console in 5 years as well.

Just now, elevators_rule said:

It's a bit of a myth. If you buy a graphics card today that's better than a PS5/Xbox, in 5 years it'll still be better than a PS5/Xbox. So it really only applies as logic if you consider having to upgrade to the 'pro' console in 5 years as well.

Right on. Quick question, I did some research and people say that graphics cards last about 3 years.

I looked it up and that RTX 3070 card in that Asus retails right now for $1,100 at the cheapest. That's insane lol That means if I get that PC from my work, every few years I will need to drop 1k+ on a new graphics card? Sheeesh lol

49 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Right on. Quick question, I did some research and people say that graphics cards last about 3 years.

I looked it up and that RTX 3070 card in that Asus retails right now for $1,100 at the cheapest. That's insane lol That means if I get that PC from my work, every few years I will need to drop 1k+ on a new graphics card? Sheeesh lol

Well, 4 years is the sweet spot right for upgrading your graphics card, but mostly because it's a great time for always having the best GPU performance/price ratio. It has nothing to do with the graphics card breaking after 4 years or anything like that. It's in no way an obligation if you're okay with not being at the tippity top for graphics (again, not really different than buying a console and sticking with it for a whole generation). I'd expect the graphics card to last an easy 6+ years without breaking, ~10 is likely.

That price you mentioned isn't really accurate, though. The actual card sells for $499, it's just that the pandemic has ruined the supply/demand and they're all sold out meaning inflated prices. If you wanted to upgrade in 4 years, you definitely wouldn't be paying more than the $499 MSRP for whatever the newest graphics card is.

Edited by elevators_rule
  • Like 1