Looking To Build A PC.....Need Help

8 hours ago, RavensfanRD said:

For your budget, yeah. 1440p and its over 144Hz with a 1ms response time, absolutely. 

I personally have this https://www.microcenter.com/product/626571/acer-nitro-xv272u-vbmiiprx-27-wqhd-170hz-hdmi-dp-freesync-hdr400-ips-led-gaming-monitor
And yours(The one Ilinked for you) check all the boxes same as my personal one. That 0.5ms is fake news though. This monitor is really a 2ms monitor. I can tell A LITTLE when I play Apex, but it is by no means bad and I love it. But yeah, the one I linked for you looks really good imo for $200.

What is your opinion on this one? This is the one I was sort of targeting before

https://www.microcenter.com/product/635491/asus-tuf-gaming-vg279q1r-27-fhd-(1920-x-1080)-144hz-hdmi-dp-freesync-premium-low-motion-blur-ips-led-gaming-monitor

4 hours ago, Shockwave said:

I have the be quiet 500DX. I actually purchased an additional two Pure Wings and added it to the front, so I have two in the front as intake, then the AIO radiator, so it's in a push pull configuration. It's a little tricky to set up because the Pure Wings block some of the mounting screws for the AIO. But I was able to get enough in to secure it. Then two exhaust fans out the top and one out the back. Super quiet, can barely even tell when its on.

We shall find out here with mine. Our IT guy will be here shortly and he stopped at micro center to either 1) get more 120mm fans to mount inside the case or 2) buy a new case for it.

It was so bizarre. I read all the reviews, they all said the computer has major overheating issues because of only having 1 exhaust fan but I thought they were just being dramatic. The moment I turned it on it didnt last 15 mins until poof, everything turned off. I would start it back up, load Steam, get into a game of APex and then poof 10 mins later it turned off. I couldnt even get past the tutorial part before it shut down. Probably shut off 6-8x on me last night alone INCLUDING in the middle of my fantasy draft haha

How does Asus ship a computer thats this faulty? Especially for $1,800

ALSO! I didnt realize the PC hates PS4 configurations so much. If im on bluetooth with my controller, all of the button prompts in the games are Xbox lol Its super confusing. I also dont know how to get my headset to work......I plugged it in my controller and there is no audio....

Edited by AkronsWitness

4 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Oh that's a good monitor! You'll have a fun time with it for sure.

5 hours ago, RavensfanRD said:

Oh that's a good monitor! You'll have a fun time with it for sure.

I actually went to micro center earlier and got the first one you suggested because it was 1440P lol It looks incredibly better than the old one I had. I can actually see things clear in the distance now!

Now the next problem....I downloaded H-Hour to play and after it opens and plays the Unreal Engine thing, it crashes and just goes back to the Steam menu. Ive uninstalled it and redownloaded the game 3x now. Not sure really what to do

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

I actually went to micro center earlier and got the first one you suggested because it was 1440P lol It looks incredibly better than the old one I had. I can actually see things clear in the distance now!

Now the next problem....I downloaded H-Hour to play and after it opens and plays the Unreal Engine thing, it crashes and just goes back to the Steam menu. Ive uninstalled it and redownloaded the game 3x now. Not sure really what to do

You done much googling the game name and "crash to desktop" yet. You'll find a thousand different answers but usually I can solve it with just that, eventually

11 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

We shall find out here with mine. Our IT guy will be here shortly and he stopped at micro center to either 1) get more 120mm fans to mount inside the case or 2) buy a new case for it.

It was so bizarre. I read all the reviews, they all said the computer has major overheating issues because of only having 1 exhaust fan but I thought they were just being dramatic. The moment I turned it on it didnt last 15 mins until poof, everything turned off. I would start it back up, load Steam, get into a game of APex and then poof 10 mins later it turned off. I couldnt even get past the tutorial part before it shut down. Probably shut off 6-8x on me last night alone INCLUDING in the middle of my fantasy draft haha

ALSO! I didnt realize the PC hates PS4 configurations so much. If im on bluetooth with my controller, all of the button prompts in the games are Xbox lol Its super confusing. I also dont know how to get my headset to work......I plugged it in my controller and there is no audio....

Idk if there's a solution for your PS4 buttons but it's because windows uses a thing called xinput which is basically taking an Xbox controller and well, using it. I'm no expert but basically everything with that type of button configuration is then emulated as if it's an Xbox pad, no matter what the buttons say. I honestly don't think there's a way around this for most games. But again, I'm no expert and I use MS controllers on there when I do use them. 

11 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Idk if there's a solution for your PS4 buttons but it's because windows uses a thing called xinput which is basically taking an Xbox controller and well, using it. I'm no expert but basically everything with that type of button configuration is then emulated as if it's an Xbox pad, no matter what the buttons say. I honestly don't think there's a way around this for most games. But again, I'm no expert and I use MS controllers on there when I do use them. 

And you might have to switch what audio device is set for output when you're trying to it through that. Probably won't switch that to default for you when you plug in.

Isn't PC fun....

I can probably help more at some point if ya still have issues. I've worked through a lot of this crap over the years

2 hours ago, Norm said:

You done much googling the game name and "crash to desktop" yet. You'll find a thousand different answers but usually I can solve it with just that, eventually

Yeah I did that and the answers were 1) Redownload the game--i did that. 2) Right click the game and Validate the files--everything comes back clean 3) Update your drivers for GPU--,it's a brand new PC and 4) Check firewalls--all my other games work just fine

It's very strange

7 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Yeah I did that and the answers were 1) Redownload the game--i did that. 2) Right click the game and Validate the files--everything comes back clean 3) Update your drivers for GPU--,it's a brand new PC and 4) Check firewalls--all my other games work just fine

It's very strange

I wonder if there's a log file for the crash somewhere. I'd imagine there is, but I'd have no damn idea where that would be. 

Assuming you installed the drivers from the web and not from an included CD as well? Not to ask a bunch of stupid questions

2 hours ago, Norm said:

I wonder if there's a log file for the crash somewhere. I'd imagine there is, but I'd have no damn idea where that would be. 

Assuming you installed the drivers from the web and not from an included CD as well? Not to ask a bunch of stupid questions

Umm Im actually not the one who set everything up, out IT guy did so Im assuming he updated the drivers.

So get this--apparently the RTX 3070 it was shipped with was faulty. So he had to put a 3-5 year old STRIX GPU in it instead. He said he is dealing with Asus customer support trying to get another 3070 but apparently the Strix GPU he said was def. above average for the time being---i dont know how true that is. Not only did he have to buy a new case with more fans in it because the original case sucked with ventilation, but it also had a faulty GPU. Good job Asus lol

As far as the game (H-Hour) that wont load..I looked at the community page and somebody posted 2 months ago that only like 20-30 players play it and its a 'dead game' 😒So I might just chalk it up and not play it anyways. That sucks because it was the spiritual successor to Socom (childhood fav. game) that I really wanted to check out.

Edited by AkronsWitness

Hahahahaha ASUS tech support... heres my post from Reddit detailing what I went through with them:

My recent experience is similar. Bought the X570 Gaming Plus motherboard in March. Lasted 2 months then died. Went through the RMA process, paid the $25 fee shipped it off. The board was pristine. No scuff marks or mars. Couple weeks later I get a "replacement" board sent to me. Which was all marred and scuffed up and completely DOA. At this point I'm irate. Go back through the process the Rep tells me to do another RMA. I'm like nope...you gotta do better then that. "Shall I escalate your case to level 2 sir?" ... me absolutely. So level 2 decides to send me an advanced replacement and will give me a waiver for the shipping fees to send the DOA board back. Ok that sounds fair. They require my credit card to have a hold on it as collateral. No problem here's the numbers.

Replacement arrives and is obviously a brand new unit. Put the rig all back together and I'm off and running. Notice that the shipping label for the DOA board is not in the box. Go back to tech support. They can't create me a label..some error on their end. Gives us 24-48 hours. Week later still nothing.. back to tech support. Oh still an error give us another 24-48 hours. Then I get an email notification that if the DOA board isn't returned within the next 3 days my credit card will be charged the full amount for the replacement. Back to tech support...explain the situation. No worries your case is documented and your card won't be charged. Shipping label finally gets emailed to me the next day. Send in DOA card. 2 days later.. I'm charged for the new board. Back to tech support. Well sir your package didn't arrive on time so it's our standard practice to charge for the replacement. Would you like me to escalate? Yes.... week goes by..nothing. Eventually I just called my credit card company and had them wipe the charge.

I was a huge ASUS fan before this experience. Don't think I will be buying anything else from them after this.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Umm Im actually not the one who set everything up, out IT guy did so Im assuming he updated the drivers.

So get this--apparently the RTX 3070 it was shipped with was faulty. So he had to put a 3-5 year old STRIX GPU in it instead. He said he is dealing with Asus customer support trying to get another 3070 but apparently the Strix GPU he said was def. above average for the time being---i dont know how true that is. Not only did he have to buy a new case with more fans in it because the original case sucked with ventilation, but it also had a faulty GPU. Good job Asus lol

As far as the game (H-Hour) that wont load..I looked at the community page and somebody posted 2 months ago that only like 20-30 players play it and its a 'dead game' 😒So I might just chalk it up and not play it anyways. That sucks because it was the spiritual successor to Socom (childhood fav. game) that I really wanted to check out.

DOA **** sucks but it just comes with the territory. I've been pretty lucky over the years honestly but I've had some too. Always pisses me off. Though I think that's been happening a lot with that card, I swear I read that when I was considering one

I've heard that of that game but I wasn't exactly sure what it was all about. 

Hey all, its been about a week of playing and had some questions (because I have nobody else to ask lol) about some of the things I was wondering about with PC gaming.

1) What is the best controller to use for PC? Im using a PS4 controller now but looking to get something new. The button prompts on every game steer me towards a XBox controller but Ive always dispised them because of their AA battery use. Ive also noticed when I game (I have big hands) that I get sweaty palms and when Im playing FPS games my thumbs slips off the grips since the PS4 controller is so smooth. Does anybody use something they like a lot that is 'grippier'? PS5 maybe? XBOX X? 3rd party?

2) Is Steam the best for downloading games? I didnt know if there was something else out there that I should get for downloading games that maybe has a bigger better library or cheaper prices. I have a lot of interest in older games that I dont know if they are out there or not. I would love to somehow find a place to download games like SSX or a place with a gamepass sort of deal since I jump around a lot.

3) I cant get my headset to work to save my life. When I plug it in, I can switch the audio source to headset on my desktop and receive the game audio---but my Mic doesnt work. I have a Hyper X Stinger headset if that matters. Is there a setting somewhere either on the computer or in-game that Im missing? I noticed the headset doesnt work at all when I plug it into the PS4 controller directly.

On 8/27/2021 at 12:39 PM, AkronsWitness said:

Hey all, its been about a week of playing and had some questions (because I have nobody else to ask lol) about some of the things I was wondering about with PC gaming.

1) What is the best controller to use for PC? Im using a PS4 controller now but looking to get something new. The button prompts on every game steer me towards a XBox controller but Ive always dispised them because of their AA battery use. Ive also noticed when I game (I have big hands) that I get sweaty palms and when Im playing FPS games my thumbs slips off the grips since the PS4 controller is so smooth. Does anybody use something they like a lot that is 'grippier'? PS5 maybe? XBOX X? 3rd party?

2) Is Steam the best for downloading games? I didnt know if there was something else out there that I should get for downloading games that maybe has a bigger better library or cheaper prices. I have a lot of interest in older games that I dont know if they are out there or not. I would love to somehow find a place to download games like SSX or a place with a gamepass sort of deal since I jump around a lot.

3) I cant get my headset to work to save my life. When I plug it in, I can switch the audio source to headset on my desktop and receive the game audio---but my Mic doesnt work. I have a Hyper X Stinger headset if that matters. Is there a setting somewhere either on the computer or in-game that Im missing? I noticed the headset doesnt work at all when I plug it into the PS4 controller directly.

1. Controller will always be user preference. You'll just have to test a few that has caught your eye to be honest.  I'm using a DS4 controller as well and its fine to me. If you get an Xbox controller, you can always get the wired one that doesn't require batteries. Maybe try some out at a Gamestop and get a feel of the controllers and make your decision from that.

2. Steam is the best for me when it comes to downloading games, but I still download games from other places since most games today want you to use their stupid game launcher anyway. With that said, Steam is my daily driver but I might not buy all games from there and use places like https://isthereanydeal.com/#/ and then add it to my Steam library since that's a thing.

3. For your Headset, You may need to change the mic input device to your headset. Should be right below the audio input setting in Windows. Sometimes I have to manually set it as every so often Windows will want to use my DS4 controller as mic input as well. So I just click on the drop down menu and force the headset as audio and mic input.

Assuming you're using Windows, you should be able to right-click the volume icon in the bottom right-hand corner then:

• Open sound settings
  • Choose your input device (Your headset should appear in the drop down menu here)

Then you should be all set. Hope this helps a little.

On 8/27/2021 at 12:39 PM, AkronsWitness said:

I have big hands too.  I love the PS5 controller, so go for that if you are cool with spending a buck.  But the Xbox controller is good too, and like the person above me said, you can always get a wired one or you can just use a USB cord to connect it to your computer.  That is what I usually do.  Just make sure you get the right USB one.  I think I have the newer Xbox controller for the new systems (even though I just have a standard X1) and it uses a different type of USB cord, USB-C I think.