Looking To Build A PC.....Need Help

On 8/20/2021 at 6:33 PM, Norm said:

DOA **** sucks but it just comes with the territory. I've been pretty lucky over the years honestly but I've had some too. Always pisses me off. Though I think that's been happening a lot with that card, I swear I read that when I was considering one

I've heard that of that game but I wasn't exactly sure what it was all about. 

Welp, got another update. The GPU currently in my computer blows. Its a 5 year old Asus Strix GPU nobody has ever heard of I talked to lol

I found a 3070 for only $500....

My question is should I jump on this or no? Im hesistant because $500 is a good deal but still a lot of money and a little more than I wanted to spend.

How much of a difference will I really see in a older GPU to something top of the line like the 3070? Is that difference worth $500?

Here is the current GPU thats in it right now: https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-GeForce-Overclocked-DisplayPort-Graphics/dp/B00NJ9BJ8G

Edited by AkronsWitness

5 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Welp, got another update. The GPU currently in my computer blows. Its a 5 year old Asus Strix GPU nobody has ever heard of I talked to lol

My question is should I jump on this or no? Im hesistant because $500 is a good deal but still a lot of money and a little more than I wanted to spend.

How much of a difference will I really see in a older GPU to something top of the line like the 3070? Is that difference worth $500?

I bought a 3060 for the same price like 2 months ago lol. It does everything I want at 1080p and I'm playing modern stuff and everything. I think you'd be pretty happy with that, seems pretty low...

1 minute ago, Norm said:

I bought a 3060 for the same price like 2 months ago lol. It does everything I want at 1080p and I'm playing modern stuff and everything. I think you'd be pretty happy with that, seems pretty low...

Yeah and heads up I found the one that is currently in my system if you could potentially tell me how much this thing sucks lol

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-GeForce-Overclocked-DisplayPort-Graphics/dp/B00NJ9BJ8G

21 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Here is the current GPU thats in it right now: https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-GeForce-Overclocked-DisplayPort-Graphics/dp/B00NJ9BJ8G

It's a 970, which is one of the flagship Nvidia GPUs from 2014. Really good for it's time... but it's well past that now lol. A 3070 is significantly better than a 970. It's like comparing the PS4/X1 to the newer consoles. A night and day difference in performance. Here's the GPU benchmark if you were interested: https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-3070-vs-Nvidia-GTX-970/4083vs2577

That just shows some of the stats. But the big ones:

3070 - 12th best GPU

970 - 91st best GPU

3070 is considered 200% faster is nearly all metrics. Probably overall, even without comparing it to the 970, it's the best price/performance GPU out there today.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AkronsWitness said:

Right now they are still going for $350 lol

Yeah it's absurd. The card I bought for $200 like 7 years ago that died, was $300+ new and almost $200 used still when I got a got my 3060.

That sounds like a legit deal for the 3070 though for sure

7 minutes ago, Norm said:

Yeah it's absurd. The card I bought for $200 like 7 years ago that died, was $300+ new and almost $200 used still when I got a got my 3060.

That sounds like a legit deal for the 3070 though for sure

Last question (and its a dumb one).....

What exactly is the noticable difference between the one I have and the 3070. I understand that it processes faster, ect but does all it do give you a slight upgrade in graphics?

For instance, Im playing Splitgate right now on a 1440p 165hz monitor---and it looks crystal clear. Like....I dont know how grahpics could get better lol or does that 3070 do more noticeable things like allow multitasking, ect.

Im just making sure when I pay $500 that its a clear noticable difference and not just like "if you squint hard enough you can clearly see this texture is more clear than that other one"

Edited by AkronsWitness

2 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Last question (and its a dumb one).....

What exactly is the noticable difference between the one I have and the 3070. I understand that it processes faster, ect but does all it do give you a slight upgrade in graphics?

For instance, Im playing Splitgate right now on a 1440p 165hz monitor---and it looks crystal clear. Like....I dont know how grahpics could get better lol or does that 3070 do more noticeable things like allow multitasking, ect.

Im just making sure when I pay $500 that its a clear noticable difference and not just like "if you squint hard enough you can clearly see this texture is more clear than that other one"

Frame rate is going to be the biggest thing there. And stopping frame rate drops. I'm not familiar with that game but the reqs look super low so you're probably able to run that at the same frame rate as your refresh, but that's not going to be the case with every game.

That probably sounds like Greek to you, I'm not sure maybe I'm wrong, but trust me once you get used to 100+ consistent frame rates and you go feel 60ish with jumps from 40-80 you want to start to put your fist though things. 

I've never felt this huge jump from 1080p to 4k but 60 fps to 144fps is night and day. 

If you need more explanation I could probably find some YouTube stuff that would make more sense. It's so hard to explain with actually seeing it in front of you. 

Also someone else might be smarter than me here but I think there's advancements well beyond that with the 30 series with lightning and things like that, but I'm not at all the expert there.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Norm said:

Frame rate is going to be the biggest thing there. And stopping frame rate drops. I'm not familiar with that game but the reqs look super low so you're probably able to run that at the same frame rate as your refresh, but that's not going to be the case with every game.

That probably sounds like Greek to you, I'm not sure maybe I'm wrong, but trust me once you get used to 100+ consistent frame rates and you go feel 60ish with jumps from 40-80 you want to start to put your fist though things. 

I've never felt this huge jump from 1080p to 4k but 60 fps to 144fps is night and day. 

If you need more explanation I could probably find some YouTube stuff that would make more sense. It's so hard to explain with actually seeing it in front of you. 

Also someone else might be smarter than me here but I think there's advancements well beyond that with the 30 series with lightning and things like that, but I'm not at all the expert there.

I did some Youtubing, am I the only idiot who cant really tell a difference here? haha

The other thing Im thinking is if I dont jump on this 3070, how long will the 970 last before crapping out since its already 7 years old.

Edited by AkronsWitness

1 minute ago, AkronsWitness said:

I did some Youtubing, am I the only idiot who cant really tell a difference here? haha

It's getting triple+ the frames per second but you can't see that on a YouTube video all that well, if at all. It's probably only showing 30fps? In real life those two side by side, would be a huge difference. Especially as you move around in game

7 minutes ago, Norm said:

It's getting triple+ the frames per second but you can't see that on a YouTube video all that well, if at all. It's probably only showing 30fps? In real life those two side by side, would be a huge difference. Especially as you move around in game

Yeah I guess its the FPS you can tell because to me, graphically they look dam near the same. I also wonder how long this 970 would even last since its 7 years old already so thats more incentive to make the swich. I have to call them today and give my answer so Im just sitting here going back and forth in my head if I want to spend $500 right now and if this upgrade is really worth that money. 

Edited by AkronsWitness

14 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Yeah I guess its the FPS you can tell because to me, graphically they look dam near the same. I also wonder how long this 970 would even last since its 7 years old already so thats more incentive to make the swich. I have to call them today and give my answer so Im just sitting here going back and forth in my head if I want to spend $500 right now and if this upgrade is really worth that money. 

If they're the same settings, and they are, no it's not going to change the graphics unless the new DX features on that card are enabled and things like that. 

40 fps to 140, like that video is a crazy huge difference. It's just hard to explain. 

You ever seen like old WW1 footage and it's all weird and janky because it's on like 14fps film. It looks stupid *** hell compared to modern stuff. That's kind of the same idea. 40 fps is disgusting and will feel like crap, to me anyways, so I'd have to lower settings to get it higher, and then the gfx are going to look different worse. That's what kind of the deal here is

4 minutes ago, Norm said:

If they're the same settings, and they are, no it's not going to change the graphics unless the new DX features on that card are enabled and things like that. 

40 fps to 140, like that video is a crazy huge difference. It's just hard to explain. 

You ever seen like old WW1 footage and it's all weird and janky because it's on like 14fps film. It looks stupid *** hell compared to modern stuff. That's kind of the same idea. 40 fps is disgusting and will feel like crap, to me anyways, so I'd have to lower settings to get it higher, and then the gfx are going to look different worse. That's what kind of the deal here is

I just booted up Sea of Thieves to see what the FPS was running that and it was jumping between 30 FPS and 45 FPS 

Do you think it matters in the type of games I play? I dont really play any huge RPGs like Horizon Zero Dawn, ect. I mostly stick to shooters like COD/Battlefield/Apex and sports games like Madden/Steep/2K. I will mix in the occasional Destiny or Need For Speed but I tend to stay away from the solo massive world RPGs.

Aww *** it Im probably going to buy it 😆

Edited by AkronsWitness