Jump to content

Looking To Build A PC.....Need Help


Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I just booted up Sea of Thieves to see what the FPS was running that and it was jumping between 30 FPS and 45 FPS 

Do you think it matters in the type of games I play? I dont really play any huge RPGs like Horizon Zero Dawn, ect. I mostly stick to shooters like COD/Battlefield/Apex and sports games like Madden/Steep/2K. I will mix in the occasional Destiny or Need For Speed but I tend to stay away from the solo massive world RPGs.

Aww *** it Im probably going to buy it 😆

I know most console games are 30-60 and that honestly doesn't bother me much but it's just so damn nice to get well above that and be in that 144 or better range. Especially with shooters. I don't think I could play 30fps on PC and not lose my mind anymore. 

Battlefield at that frames rate on close to max settings is just so nice too.

One other thing I was going to mention too, when you're looking to upgrade gfx cards it's not really about what the gfx look like. Old cards can run on the same settings as new, it's just not as fast. This isn't like going from ps3 to PS4. It's all about horsepower, getting the highest settings to run at high FPS, and being future proofed so that you can continue to run the new stuff at high settings at high FPS going forward. If that makes sense

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Norm said:

I know most console games are 30-60 and that honestly doesn't bother me much but it's just so damn nice to get well above that and be in that 144 or better range. Especially with shooters. I don't think I could play 30fps on PC and not lose my mind anymore. 

Battlefield at that frames rate on close to max settings is just so nice too.

One other thing I was going to mention too, when you're looking to upgrade gfx cards it's not really about what the gfx look like. Old cards can run on the same settings as new, it's just not as fast. This isn't like going from ps3 to PS4. It's all about horsepower, getting the highest settings to run at high FPS, and being future proofed so that you can continue to run the new stuff at high settings at high FPS going forward. If that makes sense

Definitely thank you, thats where Im at. The biggest reason for me wanting to pull the trigger isnt just for right now or the next year. Its because I want something that I wont have to worry about and will be 'elite' for the next 5+ years and not have to worry about the 970 crapping out on me or not being able to run games next year.

I read a article where the Ndivia CEO said he sees these production problems continuing through 2022--so it likely wont be anytime soon I will be able to get a 3070 for $500 again.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Definitely thank you, thats where Im at. The biggest reason for me wanting to pull the trigger isnt just for right now or the next year. Its because I want something that I wont have to worry about and will be 'elite' for the next 5+ years and not have to worry about the 970 crapping out on me or not being able to run games next year.

I read a article where the Ndivia CEO said he sees these production problems continuing through 2022--so it likely wont be anytime soon I will be able to get a 3070 for $500 again.

Wait I'm confused... Why you looking to buy a 3070? If your GPU was doa it should be replaced for no charge by Asus.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, rob_shadows said:

Wait I'm confused... Why you looking to buy a 3070? If your GPU was doa it should be replaced for no charge by Asus.

From what I was told its because 1) It was bought from Amazon as a prebuilt from a 3rd party seller. Asus apparently said 'tough ***' you didnt buy directly from us. 2) The case was opened to tinker around with some things and was swapped into a new case to make the ventilation work. Apparently that voided any warranty. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

From what I was told its because 1) It was bought from Amazon as a prebuilt from a 3rd party seller. Asus apparently said 'tough ***' you didnt buy directly from us. 2) The case was opened to tinker around with some things and was swapped into a new case to make the ventilation work. Apparently that voided any warranty. 

Huh, that's weird. Didn't know prebuilts were like that. How are you suppose to even know it's dead without opening it up and making sure it's not just a case of a wire coming loose in transit or something? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

Huh, that's weird. Didn't know prebuilts were like that. How are you suppose to even know it's dead without opening it up and making sure it's not just a case of a wire coming loose in transit or something? 

Thats the thing, Im not the one who looked at it-- He told me it had no power, no video displayed, no RBG lights on and the fans were not working. So no power to it = dead.

I just listed my PS4 and all the games for sale on ebay/letgo so lets see if I can sell that for $300 and only pay another $200 out of pocket for the $500 graphics card.

In a normal year I would say no way--but the fact that I read GPU prices may never come down as long as crypto mining is here along with the fact I currently have a waiting to die 7 year old 970 in my system. I feel like my hand is forced and I have to take this one for $500. This 3070 better be worth it because Im jumping through a whole lotta hoops to get this done just to get the GPU that should have been included with my system anyway.

 

Edited by AkronsWitness
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Thats the thing, Im not the one who looked at it-- He told me it had no power, no video displayed, no RBG lights on and the fans were not working. So no power to it = dead.

I just listed my PS4 and all the games for sale on ebay/letgo so lets see if I can sell that for $300 and only pay another $200 out of pocket for the $500 graphics card.

In a normal year I would say no way--but the fact that I read GPU prices may never come down as long as crypto mining is here along with the fact I currently have a waiting to die 7 year old 970 in my system. I feel like my hand is forced and I have to take this one for $500. This 3070 better be worth it because Im jumping through a whole lotta hoops to get this done just to get the GPU that should have been included with my system anyway.

 

The 3070 is a great card and is a steal at $500 in this market but it's definitely messed up that the doa card isn't going to be replaced that's just boggling my mind.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Thats the thing, Im not the one who looked at it-- He told me it had no power, no video displayed, no RBG lights on and the fans were not working. So no power to it = dead.

I just listed my PS4 and all the games for sale on ebay/letgo so lets see if I can sell that for $300 and only pay another $200 out of pocket for the $500 graphics card.

In a normal year I would say no way--but the fact that I read GPU prices may never come down as long as crypto mining is here along with the fact I currently have a waiting to die 7 year old 970 in my system. I feel like my hand is forced and I have to take this one for $500. This 3070 better be worth it because Im jumping through a whole lotta hoops to get this done just to get the GPU that should have been included with my system anyway.

 

Link me to your PS4. I've been debating buying one

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Norm said:

Link me to your PS4. I've been debating buying one

Here it is 

Just a heads up, I'm meeting with someone who messaged me on LetGo/OfferUp this Tuesday. They said they agree to the $300 but I have my doubts.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Playstation-4-Console-Bundle-1-Controller-18-Games-500-GB-Black-/255120827898?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Edited by AkronsWitness
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Here it is 

Just a heads up, I'm meeting with someone who messaged me on LetGo/OfferUp this Tuesday. They said they agree to the $300 but I have my doubts.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Playstation-4-Console-Bundle-1-Controller-18-Games-500-GB-Black-/255120827898?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Haha alright. I'll check out. I've been debating buying one that can be modded though, and yours won't be, because then I can throw the entire psx and PS2 library on a huge external and play them all on one device, either way I'm going to buy a PS4 eventually.

I've been buying random video game crap on eBay all evening lol. Still need to find a damn laserdisc player and a Sega CD and 32x but I'm being cheap about it because they've gone up so damn much in the last 3/4 years

Link to post
Share on other sites

More games than I somehow expected, let me know after Tuesday, maybe I convince myself I can't live without it by then, even I don't get stupid and spend $500 on random crap tonight

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Norm said:

More games than I somehow expected, let me know after Tuesday, maybe I convince myself I can't live without it by then, even I don't get stupid and spend $500 on random crap tonight

Haha sounds good I'll check back after Tuesday

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/4/2021 at 10:24 PM, Norm said:

More games than I somehow expected, let me know after Tuesday, maybe I convince myself I can't live without it by then, even I don't get stupid and spend $500 on random crap tonight

Welp.....after this kid (I assume it's a kid) changed times on me twice, I just drove 25 mins across town to a police station parking lot and he didn't even show up after I wanted 20+ mins.

F.....M......L......

Are you interested Norm? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Welp.....after this kid (I assume it's a kid) changed times on me twice, I just drove 25 mins across town to a police station parking lot and he didn't even show up after I wanted 20+ mins.

F.....M......L......

Are you interested Norm? 

Lolol. That ****s the worst. Yes and no, yes but I just bought a 700$ TV on Monday for the game room so it wouldn't be this week.... Old lady already doesn't know about that. 

But I still want one for sure

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...