Hall of Fame Game vs Dallas

JustPlainNasty

1st Half

Highsmith and Buggs (minus the personal foul penalty) looking pretty good.

Norwood +

Kendrick Green looking pretty good.

Pressley Harvin ..only paid attention to the one kick be buried inside the 1.  Been hoping for years the Steelers would draft a good punter...If we a gonna utilize a running game and defense the punter can play a huge role in keeping the field position favorable and helping to work the clock.  

Ulysses Gilbert not so impressive

Pierre trailing a lot in coverage, then Pierre makes nice play vs Fihoko.

Couple blown assignments on TE Shultz in coverage.

Rudolph similar pedestrian game. Ok. ok. Then nothing inspiring nor anything clutch.

Spillane trailing, will he be exposed in coverage ? 

Haskins one series..felt some energy.  Looked like a couple balls were a little hot comin in. 

Edited by JustPlainNasty
add a few things
  • Like 1

Why don't we like Dobbs over Rudolph and possibly Haskins? I know its the 3rd string etc, but Dobbs always moves the ball and there is always energy in his game. If I had to win a game with one of these 3 , I'd be playing Dobbs. His mobility (underutilized) is a difference maker in this competition. Based on this game Id give Rudolph one more shot to play 2nd next week and then make a decision on him, because he just takes the life out of the game. *Note..Im not rooting against Rudolph,  I was hopeful, but not seeing anything different or progress. 

Edited by JustPlainNasty
  • Like 1

Personally, I don’t see Dobbs as a viable option. His accuracy has been too big an issues. You are right, maybe with a coordinator how can use his skill set running, he could be interesting but I don’t like 2 sets of game plans at QB. 

I can never get the Dobbs vs Oakland game out of my head when he came in for the “hurt” Ben and we lost a game we had no business losing after they had to put Ben back in. Small sample size but he has always been as advertised: athletic with a good arm but no accuracy. 

Mason was meh. So was Haskins, but I thought the play-calling and style for Haskins was very, very safe. Lotta boots and PA and quick check down reads. 

I would like to see Haskins with a first team game calling style. Felt like they wanted to see certain things with him where with Mason it was more a real game flow. Haskins footwork and even the depth on his rollouts where bad…but man it’s easy to fall in love with that arm and how he can spin. Hoping we see more downfield next week. 

You can just see the difference in talent between Mason and Haskins. 

If that young man can just get his head on straight, he'll be an absolute steal.
Even if he doesn't start a game all season...let him absorb and grow, for when Ben is gone. 
If we're patient, he stays engaged and keeps working. He could be real.
The ball comes out so easy and sharp.

My few notes:

I like Killebrew. Solid. 
Claypool and Johnson are going to be real trouble (as long as Ben is throwing the ball).
Harris will be a solid workhorse.
Harvin did exactly what we all hoped he would.
Highsmith is going to start. And play well.

9 hours ago, JustPlainNasty said:

Why don't we like Dobbs over Rudolph and possibly Haskins? I know its the 3rd string etc, but Dobbs always moves the ball and there is always energy in his game. If I had to win a game with one of these 3 , I'd be playing Dobbs. His mobility (underutilized) is a difference maker in this competition. Based on this game Id give Rudolph one more shot to play 2nd next week and then make a decision on him, because he just takes the life out of the game. *Note..Im not rooting against Rudolph,  I was hopeful, but not seeing anything different or progress. 

He is inaccurate and it has not gotten better.  Which is odd because it is one thing that could be improved. 

Haskins just needed to settle in and put some touch on the balls.  He was firing them hard when there was no need.

I like the punter Harvin.  Great pick in the 7th

Edited by jebrick
  • Like 2

Exciting stuff listening to Highsmith talk about how he used his speed rushes earlier in the drive to set up the inside spin move for his sack. He just looked much quicker/faster off the ball out there last night too. I’m excited for him, double digit sacks is definitely not out of the question especially playing across from TJ and behind Cam. And let’s not forget about Ingram. 

Spillane on the other hand got toasted a few times last night. I’ll have to pay attention to who he was covering when I re-watch the game today but tbh the ILB spot next to Bush probably worries me more than any other position on defense at this point. I’m pulling for Marcus Allen or Buddy Johnson to take a big step this year. I think Allen can play just needs to process things quicker.

• Like 1

Just adding in another player....was bummed watching McFarland last night. Hoping I just had higher expectations and he was hyped up himself. Looks like a guy locked in on one speed rather than actually searching for holes and blocking. I think it was his first carry he tried to hit the corner and couldn't -- it was a "Oh, everyones fast here" moment. But then he had another carry to the right with good blocking and he jetted for a nice pickup around the right side. 

Then the check down from Haskins where he clearly could have pushed forward for a first down and....well, didn't? Hoping the game slows down for him. He needs a bit of patience. 

I wasn't too upset with McFarland. I think he's still the #2 on the roster. The end of his reception wasn't great, but I think it takes game breakers awhile to realize that every play isn't going to be a 60+ yarder. I know Ballage put up the numbers, but I actually thought Samuels looked better as a runner. Ballage runs ugly. Samuels looked quick. I doubt he'll get ahead of Ballage, but that's my two cents. 

I rewatched the highlights. I watched the majority of the game too, but they didn’t do a lot of replays. I noticed on the highlights that Gentry played really well. He wasn’t involved a lot as a receiver, but he blocked really well. Granted, this was just the highlights so maybe he stunk some other plays. Rader blocked really well too, but it’s a crowded TE room. Gentry looked huge and moved well in his routes, even if he wasn’t getting targeted. Rader looked a little blocklier in his route running. I think Gentry is clearly more talented, but Rader is probably the tougher player and is better on ST. I’m really excited for Gentry. I think he’s going to be a very solid #2 TE. A definite upgrade to Jesse James’ days of being the #2. Add Pat, and we’ve got a really tough, athletic, big TE duo.