General Defense

onejayhawk

Given our depth issues at DE, this is interesting. Whitney Mercilus could be a nice piece, even at age 31.
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2021/10/19/kansas-city-chiefs-interested-texans-whitney-mercilus/

HC Reid likes to talk about complimentary football--offense helping defense and vice versa, building a machine. In the second half, we saw that for the first time this season. 

Edited by onejayhawk

They signed Shalique Calhoun to PS. Darryl Williams was released. Calhoun is a veteran LB but I'm sorry to see Williams go. Still, Creed Humphrey now owns his position so we move on.
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2021/10/19/22735486/kansas-city-chiefs-sign-veteran-linebacker-shilique-calhoun-to-practice-squad-drop-darryl-williams

In a related story, the team has been trying out DL
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2021/10/19/kansas-city-chiefs-workout-defensive-linemen-justus-reed-kobe-jones-shilique-calhoun-signed/

Update: Mercilus officially cut.
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2021/10/19/22734516/texans-cut-whitney-mercilus-should-the-chiefs-try-to-sign-him

Edited by onejayhawk

Packers signing Mercilus…Chiefs left sitting on their thumbs yet again.  It’s official we aren’t a draw, and I’m becoming concerned with our complacency to mediocrity on the defensive side of the ball.  If people start playing to their level, we may become average…is that good enough now that we aren’t THE offense to beat?

We were better than average last season, close to top 10.

Talentwise, I think we are there again, but very little depth. More than anything we just need to get players back to where they were before. The only players to conspicuously improve are Danna and Sneed. 

Then there is Bolton, who leads all rookies in tackles.
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2021/10/20/kansas-city-chiefs-nick-bolton-nfl-rookie-tackle-leader-through-week-6/

8 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

We were better than average last season, close to top 10.

Talentwise, I think we are there again, but very little depth. More than anything we just need to get players back to where they were before. The only players to conspicuously improve are Danna and Sneed. 

Then there is Bolton, who leads all rookies in tackles.
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2021/10/20/kansas-city-chiefs-nick-bolton-nfl-rookie-tackle-leader-through-week-6/

We are generating an abysmal amount of pass rush pressure, we’re not creating turnovers and are giving up yards at a record setting rate.  I keep hearing from the coaches, well we Just need to clean up this or that…news flash, THAT’S NOT HAPPENING! And yes we looked somewhat better against a Washington team starting a backup QB, without their starting RB…

The bottom line is this, if KC doesn’t win the division there’sa good chance we’re in the outside looking in.  We are getting precariously close to the point where waiting for us to suddenly play to where we expect them to be…won’t be good enough.

• Like 1

This has been true, but it need not stay true. Among other things, they found a pass rush on Sunday. Danna is getting good at it and Clark is rounding into playing shape. 

I am not worried so much this week, given the nature of the opponent, but the Raiders are coming soon. That's a team that can score with us.

J

Chiefs don’t much have cap left to really work much.       Let’s not forget they had to rework Andrew Wylies RFA tag,  just 2ish Mil so he would make the roster.   

I don’t like Clark,   I don’t think he’s all the great.   But he does make the DL more rounded.    The defense played better than the offense against Washington, so while I think the ceiling is lower.. the defense is improving with what’s on the roster.. and we really don’t have the cap room to really add much. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, RedGold said:

Chiefs don’t much have cap left to really work much.       Let’s not forget they had to rework Andrew Wylies RFA tag,  just 2ish Mil so he would make the roster.   

I don’t like Clark,   I don’t think he’s all the great.   But he does make the DL more rounded.    The defense played better than the offense against Washington, so while I think the ceiling is lower.. the defense is improving with what’s on the roster.. and we really don’t have the cap room to really add much. 

I’m on record that I don’t like Frank Clark at all, even before the idiotic off the field stuff.  His contract remains the biggest folly of this regime with the single caveat of his playoff performance during the Super Bowl run.  That being said I agree if we’re going to be successful we need him to get hot and play like that for the rest of the season.

We are in a tough cap situation, but there is ways to make small moves yet impactful moves happen, look at what GB is doing.  It’s also plausible we lost to them on Mercilus because he wanted a sure thing playoff team, kind of hurts that we aren’t viewed that way currently.

1 hour ago, EMAW_KSU said:

It’s also plausible we lost to them on Mercilus because he wanted a sure thing playoff team, kind of hurts that we aren’t viewed that way currently.

That's a whole lot of speculation. It's also just as likely they offered him more money, more guarantees of playing time, add in the fact GB is still running a 3-4 which WM has been running basically (I think Houston switched this past year) at OLB his whole career and he would've had to play DEnd here.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

That's a whole lot of speculation. It's also just as likely they offered him more money, more guarantees of playing time, add in the fact GB is still running a 3-4 which WM has been running basically (I think Houston switched this past year) at OLB his whole career and he would've had to play DEnd here.

Reports are that he turned down more money to play there.

5 hours ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

I all but guarantee he didn't get this higher dollar offer from us cuz we don't have it.

Just saying, I don't think that we're viewed as some down and out franchise cuz we're 3-3, is all.

I’m not saying we’re down and out, but 3-3 in a tough division looks a lot less sure than 5-1 in a division where at least 2 teams struggled to get out of their own way…

In terms of us having money, I agree I think “big money” was Steelers, but if we consistently are “interested in Marlon Mack…we certainly could have fit in Mercilus.