General Defense

onejayhawk

55 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

Tyler Clark was a nice surprise to me Friday night.  He's a big bruiser that can push people around.

The practice squad will be loaded.

I doubt there is any way Tyler makes the 53, but he could be useful down the road. If you look at the snap counts, a lot of them went to players who were auditioning for PS. 

We have been observing the evolution of the defense through the last month or so, but the rest of NFL fandom is not so fortunate. This article talks about where the defense fits in a potential title run.
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/the_chiefs_defense_may_be_the_key_to_another_super_bowl_run/s1_16631_35782337

There are some nice quotes:

The defense will be playing with a chip on its shoulder all season

The pass-rush-by-committee of Chris Jones, Frank Clark, Alex Okafor, Mike Danna, Joshua Jaindoh, Jarran Reed, and Tershawn Wharton could be among one of the most underrated groups in the NFL.

The secondary continues to look like a strength despite never using high draft capital on the position. The additions of former first-round picks Mike Hughes and Deandre Baker give the Chiefs even more depth heading into this season. Second-year standout L’Jarius Sneed continues to look like a rising star in the league.

• 2 weeks later...

The first game of the season had a major player out at each level--Frank Clark, Willie Gay, Tyrann Mathieu. It's not surprising the defense got off to a rocky start. There are some interesting things in snap count analysis.

Mike Danna played a full game, with as many snaps as Chris Jones. Okafor had third most, with Kaindoh getting about 11%. Somewhat related, Wharton got the start and the most DT snaps after Reed. Nnadi had been slowed in practice and it showed in the game. 

With Gay out, Hitchens, Bolton, and Niemann all played extensively. Bolton had more plays than Niemann and earned praise from HC Reid.

With Mathieu out, Sorensen, Thornhill, Ward and Sneed played almost every play, missing only four total. Mike Hughes was over 50% while Armani Watts played much more than usual. 

In week #2 several Clark and Mathieu will be back, though perhaps not 100%. it will be interesting to see what adjustments are made.

45 minutes ago, Habbsawce said:

Maybe the worst defense in terms of performance in the league. So many studs and just flat garbage.

That's overreacting. The defense was against a team that matched up well and played harder. You will not see anything similar against the Chargers this week

3 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

That's overreacting. The defense was against a team that matched up well and played harder. You will not see anything similar against the Chargers this week

They were dog **** against Cleveland. The Browns shot themselves in the foot, honestly. They probably should have lost that game.

I guess I'm just frustrated because they have studs all over the field on defense but they routinely get carved up by every team they play. If it weren't for turnovers, they would be giving up 30+ every game. Maybe they just need better scheme, I don't know. Just really hard to watch.

Edited by Habbsawce

2 minutes ago, Habbsawce said:

They were dog **** against Cleveland. The Browns shot themselves in the foot, honestly. They probably should have lost that game.

They were not bad against Cleveland, though they had a couple of bad series. In the second half, they looked quite good. 

Bumping this from an old thread.

On 1/24/2019 at 10:17 PM, kingseanjohn said:

Steve Spagnuolo as defensive coordinator, in points allowed:

Giants: '17-27th, '16-2nd, '15-30th

Saints: '12-31st (a historically bad team, see below)

Giants: '08-5th, '07-17th

So from beginning to end: 5th, 17th, 31st, 30th, 2nd, 27th.

That's his whole career as DC. His second year was good both time at the Giants, otherwise it isn't good. But just how historically bad was that Saints team you may ask?

The Saints defense allowed 7,042 yards in 2012—shattering the Baltimore Colts' 31-year-old record of 6,793 yards.  (Chiefs gave up 6,488 yards this year)

They gave up 28.4 points per game (Chiefs 26.3)

Passing yards per game 292.6 (Chiefs 273.4)

Rushing yards per game 147.6 (Chiefs 132.1)

Chiefs are currently on pace to shatter records, even ignoring the 17th game.

In yards per game allowed, currently on pace for 7,504 in 16 games - almost 500 more than the record

We're giving up 267 pass yds and 202 rush yds per game. That's before we've even played Henry, Barkley, Elliott/Pollard, Jones, Jacobs, etc.

We're giving up 32.5 points per game.

Yes it's still early and things can turn around. But based on our schedule this year, I don't think we see a massive improvement from what we've seen so far. Spags historically doesn't give me optimism either. This isn't 2018 bad, it's on pace to be far worse.

3 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

Bumping this from an old thread.

Chiefs are currently on pace to shatter records, even ignoring the 17th game.

In yards per game allowed, currently on pace for 7,504 in 16 games - almost 500 more than the record

We're giving up 267 pass yds and 202 rush yds per game. That's before we've even played Henry, Barkley, Elliott/Pollard, Jones, Jacobs, etc.

We're giving up 32.5 points per game.

Yes it's still early and things can turn around. But based on our schedule this year, I don't think we see a massive improvement from what we've seen so far. Spags historically doesn't give me optimism either. This isn't 2018 bad, it's on pace to be far worse.

The Chiefs have also faced two of the best rushing attacks in the NFL. Give it some time to gel.

If Sorensen continues to play 100% of the defensive snaps and miss tackles at his current rate, he’ll have 76 missed tackles at the end of Week 17. To put that number into context, the defender with the most missed tackles in 2020 had 22 missed tackles.

Source

I don't expect him to keep up this pace. But I don't think we should give him that opportunity either.

Also:

Edited by kingseanjohn

5 hours ago, HolmesPriest said:

I dunno man, the players been looking lost out on the field before the plays, is kind of scary. I know we shouldn't over react but it is a bit nuts. 

They looking lost cuz everybody has been hyping them up as special all training camp.     I kid, I kid.   Sort of