General Defense

onejayhawk

6 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

It does not make the stats much better, but for what it's worth, he really misinterprets this chart. We do not allow an 80% conversion rate on 3rd down. That would be absurdly, beyond all-time, levels of bad. We allow about 44% conversion on third down attempts. That's a little below average, league average is around 40% so far this year. What it actually means is, 80% of the time when an opposing team possesses the ball on 1st and 10, they will get a first down on that 1st and 10, or they will get a first down on the following 2nd down play, or they will get a 1st down on the following 3rd down play. Our third down rate is actually perfectly fine, given the sample size. The bigger problem is that we've forced the second fewest third down plays in the league, because we allow a truly ridiculous rate of 1st downs on 1st and 10. Teams getting 10+ yards over 30% of the time on 1st and 10 is disgusting, and is the real problem there. That and teams are going for it on 4th down like crazy against us, and we haven't done well against it so far.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

The news of the day is the releases of Jaylon Smith and Stephon Gilmore. Can the Chiefs sign either? Should they sign one?
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2021/10/6/22712525/making-calls-on-jaylon-smith-stephon-gilmore-potential-in-kansas-city

I'd be fine adding Smith. Should come cheap, and would be better than our current depth. Though expectations should be low, and I dunno how he does on special teams.

We already missed Gilmore, but he would've been a bad fit anyway. The cost, age, and the fact that our CB depth is actually quite good IMO.

49 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

I'd be fine adding Smith. Should come cheap, and would be better than our current depth. Though expectations should be low, and I dunno how he does on special teams.

We already missed Gilmore, but he would've been a bad fit anyway. The cost, age, and the fact that our CB depth is actually quite good IMO.

Well he probably would have started considering we can’t keep Ward healthy.  And probably better even coming back from injury than anyone not named Sneed.  We have high round talent but nobody is playing well.

2 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

What role would he play? He would not accept a backup, but that is what he has become. That does not even include ST questions. 

2 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

That did not take long at all.

It may be sour grapes, but you have to wonder if he's done. Remember how fast Darrelle Revis went downhill and Nnamdi Asomugha before that? Gilmore is no Richard Sherman to live on anticipation and brains. 

44 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

Big deal. We won despite Ward actually. I'm dizzy trying to count the number of PI's attributed to C.Ward.

He play over 95% of the plays in two Super Bowls. That is strong evidence of competence. If you have stats, bring them.

J

6 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

What role would he play? He would not accept a backup, but that is what he has become. That does not even include ST questions. 

He's going to have to accept backup, at least for a time, regardless of where he goes. I doubt anyone just throws a starting position at him right now, save for teams bad enough that they won't be much of a draw either. If he wants a starting gig for the Falcons, more power to him, I suppose. You just promise him the opportunity to compete. He shouldn't get more than that anywhere, honestly. And if he's as good as he probably thinks he is, he would be able to crack our starting lineup with time.

That did not take long at all.

It may be sour grapes, but you have to wonder if he's done. Remember how fast Darrelle Revis went downhill and Nnamdi Asomugha before that? Gilmore is no Richard Sherman to live on anticipation and brains. 

It really wouldn't surprise me. CB really isn't a position of longevity, with the exception of guys named Woodson (though even they each moved to safety eventually.) Gilmore is 31 right now. And honestly, even Richard Sherman had a hard time getting work this year at 33. Surtain was tapering off with us at around 30/31. Even Law, who had a longer career than most, was declining when he got here at 32. You only really last past those early 30 years at CB if you're either in a friendly, zone heavier system, or if you move to S. Neither of which would work here. The odds of him ever being what he was in 2019 again are slim. And I do think he was not as good last year. Still good, but not particularly great. PFF had Ward graded higher than Gilmore last year, and I actually agree with that.

Not that it matters since both guys are off the table but what is being ignored about bringing in different players is this, put plainly, we are putting the worst defense in football out there week after week.  It didn’t appear much is improving week to week.  So if the cost has been right what would it have hurt?  As I said doesn’t matter, but I just hope we don’t” wait for it to improve until we can’t make changes to improve it.”

11 minutes ago, EMAW_KSU said:

Not that it matters since both guys are off the table but what is being ignored about bringing in different players is this, put plainly, we are putting the worst defense in football out there week after week.  It didn’t appear much is improving week to week.  So if the cost has been right what would it have hurt?  As I said doesn’t matter, but I just hope we don’t” wait for it to improve until we can’t make changes to improve it.”

The big issue is that the cost won't be right. We don't have the cap space this year or next to sign anyone of value that would be a clear upgrade. With Gordon, we just got lucky that his cap hit is only 661k.

4 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

The big issue is that the cost won't be right. We don't have the cap space this year or next to sign anyone of value that would be a clear upgrade. With Gordon, we just got lucky that his cap hit is only 661k.

Frank Clark ruins everything.

2 hours ago, Chiefer said:

Not expecting Willie back any time soon…

I traded this bum for a 7th round pick in FFMD and everyone gave me crap for it but he’s a bum. Always hurt never anything but potential at least we got a real LBer in Nick Bolton.

4 hours ago, Kirill said:

I traded this bum for a 7th round pick in FFMD and everyone gave me crap for it but he’s a bum. Always hurt never anything but potential at least we got a real LBer in Nick Bolton.

Wow, he hasn’t panned out like any of us would hope.  But I’m never going to fault someone for taking care of their mental health.  Remember Javon Belcher?  Junior Seau?  Tyler Sash? Many others?  The fact is there’s many factors that could be playing a roll here, the least of which could be the fact that HE’S upset that he can’t stay/get healthy.  There’s “bums” on our team that really don’t look like they can play, at least he has potential.

While you're at it, Zack Grienke. Off field issues can be either a focus or a distraction. Those dealing with them have no time to get full of themselves, so this could work out well in the long run.

On the plus side, we are seeing good things from Mike Danna. Spagnuolo compared him to Elvis Dumervil. 
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2021/10/8/22715836/kansas-city-chiefs-defensive-coordinator-steve-spagnuolo-compares-edge-mike-danna-to-elvis-dumervil