General Defense

onejayhawk

As the season swirls the commode, some bright spots are showing. Mike Danna is emerging as a building block player. Bolton looks like the future Captain of the defense. The best player on the defense is L'Jarius Sneed. If we start over, we will not start at the bottom.

J

4 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

As the season swirls the commode, some bright spots are showing. Mike Danna is emerging as a building block player. Bolton looks like the future Captain of the defense. The best player on the defense is L'Jarius Sneed. If we start over, we will not start at the bottom.

J

I mean, we're at the bottom. By a lot. Unless you mean the team as a whole and not just the defense.

10 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Just going to leave this here.

I know this isn't a huge consolation, but most of those rankings are exaggerated based on the fact that 20 teams have not yet played 7 games, either because they play tonight, tomorrow night, or they've already had their bye week. Possibly more than that, given that the tweet came at 3:07, so it might be omitting the 3 o'clock games as well. But, we are, for instance, 26th in rushing defense, but every team worse than us has only played 6 games, and only LAC is bad enough to still have allowed more yards in less games. Similarly, we're 25th in passing defense. 28th in scoring.

Basically, we're bad, but we aren't actually nearly as bad as that makes us out to be, at the same time.

11 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

J

As far as the youth on D goes, I think Thornhill, Fenton, Sneed, Gay, Bolton, and Danna are all keepers. Ward, Wharton, and Nnadi may be, if they can return to pre-2021 form. We need a force on the edge more than anything else, I think. What Clark was meant to be. Danna is good, but as you say, a building block, not a blue chip guy.

1 hour ago, onejayhawk said:

J

I don't recall seeing Danna at all today, Bolton is probably the best tackler on the defense and at this point Sneed is living on reputation, yes little pass rush hurts but he's good for a pi or 2 a game and he's been getting torched more often than not.

All 3 are keepers but gotta start seeing the forest for the trees.

27 minutes ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

I don't recall seeing Danna at all today, Bolton is probably the best tackler on the defense and at this point Sneed is living on reputation, yes little pass rush hurts but he's good for a pi or 2 a game and he's been getting torched more often than not.

All 3 are keepers but gotta start seeing the forest for the trees.

I think Sneed needs to be used in Sorensen's role, ironically. Might be the best blitzer on the team, is a good tackler for a DB, does well when he can read and react with his eyes on the ball/QB, so he should be doing a mix of slot/safety duties. He's at his worst when used as a plain man coverage boundary corner. Ward and Fenton are best in those roles, and if he could locate the ball, Hughes would be better at that as well.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

I think Sneed needs to be used in Sorensen's role, ironically. Might be the best blitzer on the team, is a good tackler for a DB, does well when he can read and react with his eyes on the ball/QB, so he should be doing a mix of slot/safety duties. He's at his worst when used as a plain man coverage boundary corner. Ward and Fenton are best in those roles, and if he could locate the ball, Hughes would be better at that as well.

Agreed. He's just not having quite the impact on the outside. He's not horrible but like you broke down, he's not being played to his strengths. Him coming off the edge is pretty filthy tho. 

Philip Gaines might be my best comparison for Hughes. If PG could've located the ball he had the tools to be a top CB in the league. Similarly MH looks like he's just happy to run alongside a wr, without a care in the world haha

6 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

That's exactly why he's the best young player on the defense--versatility. He can learn to be Tyrann Mathieu with time. 

• Like 1

So when will Spags and HC Reid consider the C.Jones move to DE a failure and put him back where he belongs at DT. ?

The move to DE was obviosly a move "for need" following the Chiefs failure to get competent help via the draft. I assume they'll correct this next offseason.

Our need to collapse the pocket and get pressure from the inside is of greater importance than watching this "failed experiment" continue at DE.

34 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

So when will Spags and HC Reid consider the C.Jones move to DE a failure and put him back where he belongs at DT. ?

The move to DE was obviosly a move "for need" following the Chiefs failure to get competent help via the draft. I assume they'll correct this next offseason.

Our need to collapse the pocket and get pressure from the inside is of greater importance than watching this "failed experiment" continue at DE.

He spent more time at DT against Tennessee than he had all season. I think this week was more a matter of his snap count being limited period in his first game back. He played <60% of the snaps.

I’ll say this about the defensive backs outside of painfully obvious shortcomings like Sorenson.  Our total ineptitude has as much to do with players like Sneed looking worse as anything.  These QBs could knit a sweater and still have time to cycle through their reads 3 times.  Even great corners can’t cover every play for 5-8 seconds or more.  That’s where you end up getting grabby or tangled.

Just kills my that we’re spending 40+ million dollars on 2 guys on the DL and we can’t buy a sack.  That stat is worse then the streak when we went 14 weeks without a TD to a WR or whatever it was, because at least then it was only Bowe and a bunch of bums.

On 10/24/2021 at 10:00 PM, kingseanjohn said:

I mean, we're at the bottom. By a lot. Unless you mean the team as a whole and not just the defense.

We're not--not by points per game, yards per game, nor by DVOA. 

On 10/25/2021 at 2:39 PM, Jakuvious said:

He spent more time at DT against Tennessee than he had all season. I think this week was more a matter of his snap count being limited period in his first game back. He played <60% of the snaps.

We need him to cover snaps at DE. Whatever else is true, he's better than Okafor.

4 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

I don’t see how we give Hitchens the starting role back once he returns. 

It depends on Gay, not Bolton.