• 1992 Cowboys
    • 1994 49ers
    • 1996 Packers
    • 1998 Broncos
    • 1998 Vikings
    • 1999 Rams
    • Other(State which team please)

On 10/28/2017 at 7:26 PM, 7DnBrnc53 said:

1998 Broncos and 85 Bears are the best. 91 Redskins weren't even as good as the 87 Redskins. That was an old team that had their last hurrah, and they really didn't beat anyone that great in the NFC playoffs. 

A last hurrah that included the 3rd best point differential of the post-merger era, behind only the 07 Patriots and 99 Rams, while playing in one of the toughest divisions ever.  LOL at the thought that the 87 Skins were even remotely comparable.  Who cares if the the two teams they played in the NFC playoffs weren't great?  They trounced them by a combined score of 65-17 while forcing 9 turnovers and giving up the ball just once.  And to top it off they dismantled the 13-3 Buffalo Bills in the Super Bowl to the tune of a 37-10 lead before giving up a few garbage time scores.

They were elite in every phase of the game.  They had one of the most productive passing attacks ever, they had excellent kick and punt coverage, they had a defense that in many years would be the best in the league (they just happened to be playing in a season with two all time great defenses).  There isn't a team that hard counters them because they did everything so well.

Going to go out on a limb and get laughed out the thread, but  show some love for the 91-94 Buffalo Bills. (No joke, being serious).

Making four consecutive Super Bowls is an accomplishment it itself. If Scott Norwood doesn't push that FG right, who knows how we remember this team.

• 2 weeks later...

The 1989 49ers team, I think was the best team I ever saw...they were like the 80s Lakers/Celtics...literally an All-Star/Pro Bowler at every position.  And, I say that as a Broncos fan who they whooped in the Super Bowl that year...actually, maybe that is why I am calling the best team.  

27 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

The 1989 49ers team, I think was the best team I ever saw...they were like the 80s Lakers/Celtics...literally an All-Star/Pro Bowler at every position.  And, I say that as a Broncos fan who they whooped in the Super Bowl that year...actually, maybe that is why I am calling the best team.  

1st in points scored, 3rd in points against. Won their playoff games by a combined score of 126 - 26. Their two losses during the season came by a combined 5 points. Definitely a great team. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

1st in points scored, 3rd in points against. Won their playoff games by a combined score of 126 - 26. Their two losses during the season came by a combined 5 points. Definitely a great team. 

Yeah...they were ridiculous.  Montana, Craig, Rathman, Taylor, Rice, Brent Jones, Guy McIntire (sp?), some guy named Bubba (forget his name), Haley, Tina Turner, Ronnie Lott.

I watched all these teams, have been watching the NFL since 1971, and IMO as good as the 80s 49ers, Bears, and Redskins were, the 92-93 Cowboys were the best teams I've ever seen, period. They just oozed talent everywhere, so i voted for the 92 Cowboys.

I don't think it's possible to have a team like that these days, with the Sal cap and free agency.

Really, the Cowboys should have won 4 straight super bowls, had Jimmy and Jerry not let their egos get in the way.

22 hours ago, Quark3 said:

I watched all these teams, have been watching the NFL since 1971, and IMO as good as the 80s 49ers, Bears, and Redskins were, the 92-93 Cowboys were the best teams I've ever seen, period. They just oozed talent everywhere, so i voted for the 92 Cowboys.

I don't think it's possible to have a team like that these days, with the Sal cap and free agency.

Really, the Cowboys should have won 4 straight super bowls, had Jimmy and Jerry not let their egos get in the way.

How would jimmy have prevented Erik Williams from crashing his car? How would Jimmy have prevented Emmitt from popping hamstrings? How would Jimmy prevent Troy throwing those interceptions? Or the fumbled kick off return? Or the missed FG just before halftime?

1 hour ago, PapaShogun said:

Sucks that the NFL can't have stacked teams like this anymore for multiple seasons.

That's part of why fantasy football is so huge. We'll never get those stacked teams again with a salary cap and talent spread across 32 franchises. So fans have to build their own all- star squads to enjoy the modern NFL. Without fantasy, the league would be in even deeper trouble because of the point you made above - we simply can't have those deep and talented football teams... ever again. 

On 11/13/2017 at 10:26 AM, TVScout said:

How would jimmy have prevented Erik Williams from crashing his car? How would Jimmy have prevented Emmitt from popping hamstrings? How would Jimmy prevent Troy throwing those interceptions? Or the fumbled kick off return? Or the missed FG just before halftime?

Discipline. As much as Jimmy joked about how, e.g., Marv Levy quoted Shakespeare to his players while Jimmy ate corn-dogs with his, Johnson ran a very tight ship. IMO, the off field issues with Williams (and others) and the meltdown at the start of the NFC title game vs the 49ers were a result of the ineptness - in terms of strategy and team control - of the Switzer regime. 

Can you think of any other team of the past 30 years that could have won a SB with 1990s Barry Switzer as HC? Jerry Jones was right - he said the Cowboys were so talented anyone could coach them to a SB title, and he proved it when he hired Switzer.

But with JJ, it would have been more - IMO of course.

3 hours ago, Quark3 said:

Discipline. As much as Jimmy joked about how, e.g., Marv Levy quoted Shakespeare to his players while Jimmy ate corn-dogs with his, Johnson ran a very tight ship. IMO, the off field issues with Williams (and others) and the meltdown at the start of the NFC title game vs the 49ers were a result of the ineptness - in terms of strategy and team control - of the Switzer regime. 

Can you think of any other team of the past 30 years that could have won a SB with 1990s Barry Switzer as HC? Jerry Jones was right - he said the Cowboys were so talented anyone could coach them to a SB title, and he proved it when he hired Switzer.

But with JJ, it would have been more - IMO of course.

Discipline had nothing to do with Bonio missing a FG near half time. It also had nothing to do with all the on field injuries including Larry Allen's badly sprained ankle. Or Kevin Williams fumbling a kick off. Troy threw those INTs because Emmett was not reliable and Troy had to force passes as a result.

1994 the team was beset by multitudes of injuries. 1993 and 1995 the weren't. In fact the cowboys had two significant injuries both of which were covered.

Archived