Luka Doncic signs 5 year, $207M extension

TheRealMcCoy

1 hour ago, packerstk7 said:

Good for the league when superstars stay with the teams that draft them. Eventually people will get tired of superstars switching teams every 1-3 years.

Won't ever happen. Luka would've been insane to pass up a guaranteed $200M contract. As we've seen in the past guys secure the bag then just force their way out. (AD, Kyrie, Kawhi, PG13, Harden, etc.)

He’ll demand a trade out by 2023 as long as this FO (mainly Cuban) is here.

I really don’t think people realize just how bad of a FO Dallas has been since 2011. I’m talking bottom of the league.

Landing Luka isn’t impressive. He was a superstar that they lucked into not going top 2. That was just an obvious pick.

But the year before they landed Dennis Smith as a lotto pick. 3 years later at age 22 or 23 he is pretty much out of the league. To put in perspective just how bad they are at drafting.

Other first round draft picks the last 10-15 years…: Maurice Ager, Jared Cunningham, Shane Larkin, Justin Anderson. Last year they took Josh Green over the OBVIOUS Saadiq Bey. One year later Josh Green looks like a low role player at best. So likely ANOTHER wasted 1st rounder.

They have zero assets outside of Luka. No first round pick this year was so fun. No first round pick in 2020, fun.

Free agency and the draft have been just an absolute disaster for 20 years really but even more so since 2011.

This off-season, I like the Bullock signing. Luka needs shooters and Bullock is a near elite one, especially in the corner. The Brown signing was meh but I like him so much more than Trey f’ing Burke.

Moses Brown on the surface is good. Good stats, a 7’2 22 year old with Luka is going to be fun, but there’s also a reason a 7’2 22 year old double double guy has been dumped twice in a year. So I’m excited for him but he’s a role player it looks like.

But those as the only moves? Absolute failure and I’m sure we’ll hear “we’re gearing up for the free agency of 2022!” as if we don’t say that EVERY SINGLE YEAR and whiff EVERY SINGLE YEAR.

Cuban failed Dirk maybe 70% of his career by putting absolute trash and mediocrity around him. So far he’s done that for 3 years with transcendent Luka and in year 4 the off-season has been just that.

Edited by Tyronnosaurus

1 minute ago, seminoles1 said:

They didn't make the pick. They traded up for Luka.

Yes but the scouting and move for Luka doesn’t make them some genius scouting organization. That’s the point I’m trying to make. They haven’t made one impressive first round draft move in like 15 years outside of Josh Howard and one year of Roddy Beaubois, who then flamed out and never returned to the NBA.

52 minutes ago, Tyronnosaurus said:

He’ll demand a trade out by 2023 as long as this FO (mainly Cuban) is here.

I really don’t think people realize just how bad of a FO Dallas has been since 2011. I’m talking bottom of the league.

Landing Luka isn’t impressive. He was a superstar that they lucked into not going top 2. That was just an obvious pick.

But the year before they landed Dennis Smith as a lotto pick. 3 years later at age 22 or 23 he is pretty much out of the league. To put in perspective just how bad they are at drafting.

Other first round draft picks the last 10-15 years…: Maurice Ager, Jared Cunningham, Shane Larkin, Justin Anderson. Last year they took Josh Green over the OBVIOUS Saadiq Bey. One year later Josh Green looks like a low role player at best. So likely ANOTHER wasted 1st rounder.

They have zero assets outside of Luka. No first round pick this year was so fun. No first round pick in 2020, fun.

Free agency and the draft have been just an absolute disaster for 20 years really but even more so since 2011.

This off-season, I like the Bullock signing. Luka needs shooters and Bullock is a near elite one, especially in the corner. The Brown signing was meh but I like him so much more than Trey f’ing Burke.

Moses Brown on the surface is good. Good stats, a 7’2 22 year old with Luka is going to be fun, but there’s also a reason a 7’2 22 year old double double guy has been dumped twice in a year. So I’m excited for him but he’s a role player it looks like.

But those as the only moves? Absolute failure and I’m sure we’ll hear “we’re gearing up for the free agency of 2022!” as if we don’t say that EVERY SINGLE YEAR and whiff EVERY SINGLE YEAR.

Cuban failed Dirk maybe 70% of his career by putting absolute trash and mediocrity around him. So far he’s done that for 3 years with transcendent Luka and in year 4 the off-season has been just that.

To be fair they gave up the 2019 pick to get Luka. I think skipping a year to get him is a win. You said 2020 but they took Josh Green.

6 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

To be fair they gave up the 2019 pick to get Luka. I think skipping a year to get him is a win. You said 2020 but they took Josh Green.

True but even when they land the big guy they still have to give up multiple big assets.

And the Josh Green pick looks like a huge bust. Hardly played last year, barely got off the bench for Australia in the Olympics, and now they aren’t playing him in Summer League after him hardly playing all year. They simply have no clue what they are doing.

Thisbyear, though not earth shattering, they traded their one 2021 draft pick (a 2nd) for 50 year old JJ Redick who didn’t even want to be here. He was so bad here and we just gave up a free asset for nothing.

I mean last year they hyped up the off-season (like they normally do), and ended up traded the 2nd or 3rd best shooter in the league for Josh Richardson, signed James Johnson (LOL), and signed Wes Iwundu (even more LOL).

This year they are reluctant in giving up Dwight freaking Powell in a trade for Dragic. They crave mediocrity.

Luka will demand out in a year or two and I wouldn’t blame him one bit.

Edited by Tyronnosaurus

6 minutes ago, Tyronnosaurus said:

True but even when they land the big guy they still have to give up multiple big assets.

And the Josh Green pick looks like a huge bust. Hardly played last year, barely got off the bench for Australia in the Olympics, and now they aren’t playing him in Summer League after him hardly playing all year. They simply have no clue what they are doing.

I agree they've done a bad job. If you swapped Luka out for all but maybe 4-5 guys, Dallas doesn't make the playoffs last season.

Edited by Bullet Club

51 minutes ago, Tyronnosaurus said:

Absolute failure and I’m sure we’ll hear “we’re gearing up for the free agency of 2022!” as if we don’t say that EVERY SINGLE YEAR and whiff EVERY SINGLE YEAR.

I was honestly starting to have some faith in Nico but hearing that he was willing to commit $100M to a 36 year old Kyle Lowry and destroy any cap flexibility the Mavericks would've had for the next two years definitely changed my view on that. The 2022 free agent class has been hyped up forever as potentially one of the best classes ever but it's already starting to dry up. Kawhi Leonard, Kevin Durant, Trae Young, SGA, Julius Randle, Kemba Walker, Steph Curry, Jrue Holiday, Jimmy Butler, and Chris Paul all signed extensions this off-season. 

So the top potential free agents that can hit the market include James Harden (player option), Kyrie Irving (player option), Brad Beal (player option), Zach LaVine, Jaren Jackson Jr (RFA), DeAndre Ayton (RFA), Michael Porter Jr (RFA), Collin Sexton (RFA), Mikal Bridges (RFA), and Marcus Smart.

Not sure what the deal is with Harden/Irving, I'm sure @Kip Smithers does, but highly doubt either of those guys are leaving Brooklyn. 

So realistically the top free agents that Dallas can chase next off-season are LaVine, Beal, Sexton, and Smart. Because I'd assume that Phoenix, Memphis, and Denver would match any offer sheet that JJJ, Ayton, MPJ, or Bridges sign. And realistically all signs point to Beal either resigning with the Wizards or ending up in Boston. 

So that leaves Smart, LaVine, and Sexton as 3 realistic FA targets for you guys. If Cuban was smart he'd try to go after a trade like this at the deadline:

Cavaliers receive: Porzingis, THJ, Powell

Mavericks receive: Love, Allen, Sexton 

14 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

Yes flipping Trae Young and a pick that would eventually become Cam Reddish was one of the biggest fleeces of all time, lol. 

13 minutes ago, Tyronnosaurus said:

This year they are reluctant in giving up Dwight freaking Powell in a trade for Dragic. They crave mediocrity.

38 year old Dragic likely wouldn't move the needle a ton but it would make Luka happy so it's worth it. But I'd also assume Toronto will eventually buy him out.

@Tyronnosaurus

Raptors unwilling to trade Goran Dragic to Dallas

Do you see a deal for Dragic coming together between the Mavericks and the Raptors? Marc Stein: I think it’s gonna be tough. They’ve already tried, based on everything I’ve been told. Toronto has been resistant to it.

Marc Stein: Everything I hear is there’s no way Toronto was going to buy him out. Why would they? I mean, he is he is a trade chip.

Edited by NYRaider