Luka Doncic signs 5 year, $207M extension

TheRealMcCoy

8 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

If Dallas really wanted him they could've just been involved in the original S&T.

They didn’t wanna give anyone good away and felt they’d just get him so now they either have to give up something real or sit and wait as I imagine we are looking to deal him by the deadline regardless. Also I’ll point out I’m not expecting a lot for him either but if they aren’t willing to give up anything then what’s the point. 

8 hours ago, kyle21121 said:

They didn’t wanna give anyone good away and felt they’d just get him so now they either have to give up something real or sit and wait as I imagine we are looking to deal him by the deadline regardless. Also I’ll point out I’m not expecting a lot for him either but if they aren’t willing to give up anything then what’s the point. 

Dallas was just in a weird spot because Kyle Lowry was their #1 target and he chose Miami. So it would've been kind of weird to be a part of a deal that helps the guy you were going after get to another team to add a salary filler piece while giving up a good asset from your own team. 

6 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Dallas was just in a weird spot because Kyle Lowry was their #1 target and he chose Miami. So it would've been kind of weird to be a part of a deal that helps the guy you were going after get to another team to add a salary filler piece while giving up a good asset from your own team. 

It’s kinda weird for Toronto to be a part of a trade of your franchises most accomplished player and receiving a prospect and a 35 year old player who doesn’t even wanna be there? It would be kinda weird to simply give Dragic away to them for nothing because Luka is sad? 

5 hours ago, kyle21121 said:

It’s kinda weird for Toronto to be a part of a trade of your franchises most accomplished player and receiving a prospect and a 35 year old player who doesn’t even wanna be there? It would be kinda weird to simply give Dragic away to them for nothing because Luka is sad? 

No I'm saying it would've been weird for the Mavericks to have gotten involved. Kyle Lowry was their #1 target and he chose Miami over them. So to help facilitate your #1 target going to another team, while giving up trade assets, to land Dragic would've been weird for them. 

Like we didn't get the guy we wanted so we're going to help him go to another team and give up assets for a guy that was plan C. 

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

No I'm saying it would've been weird for the Mavericks to have gotten involved. Kyle Lowry was their #1 target and he chose Miami over them. So to help facilitate your #1 target going to another team, while giving up trade assets, to land Dragic would've been weird for them. 

Like we didn't get the guy we wanted so we're going to help him go to another team and give up assets for a guy that was plan C. 

I’m telling you why it’s weird for Toronto. Like what are you expecting? The deal happened without them it would have been the same with them. They still view Dragic as option B? Why not go out and get option B? Now they are stuck trying to trade for him anyways. I’m sorry if this is an awkward deal that worked fine without you anyways you could have joined in and got your guy. 

16 minutes ago, kyle21121 said:

I’m telling you why it’s weird for Toronto. Like what are you expecting? The deal happened without them it would have been the same with them. They still view Dragic as option B? Why not go out and get option B? Now they are stuck trying to trade for him anyways. I’m sorry if this is an awkward deal that worked fine without you anyways you could have joined in and got your guy. 

I just don't think they wanted to be involved in facilitating a deal that sends a guy they just offered a $100M contract too, to another team. In terms of a Dragic trade, what does Dallas even have to offer? 

My message basically, to all Toronto fans, is I would like to apologize,” Dragic said in the interview. “It didn’t come out the right way. I know they love their team, and they should be proud, it is one of the best organizations in the NBA. They’ve already won a championship and I didn’t, so what I said, it really was not appropriate.”

“I was in the center of the city and the journalists were there and I was asked about Toronto and it was basically taken out of context,” Dragic said. “I told them that I had spent seven years in Miami and that would be the preferred destination for me because my family is there and everything, not Toronto.”

@kyle21121

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

I think deep down everything he said is fair but going about it the way he is going about it is not the right move. 

I do get some of your point but Dallas obviously wants him and Lowry CHOSE Miami over Dallas. That’s already been done. Dallas wants Dragic but doesn’t want to give up anything for him. Why didn’t they just suffer through the trade talks and relent a bit. I’m sure Toronto asking price for Dragic small and Dallas counter with garbage and now want him to be bought out so they can sign him. Why do that? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kyle21121 said:

I’m sure Toronto asking price for Dragic small and Dallas counter with garbage and now want him to be bought out so they can sign him. Why do that? 

I agree. Dallas is already over the cap so IIRC the salaries would have to matchup so the only way they could get a deal done would be to send Powell/Kleber to Toronto for Dragic.

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

I agree. Dallas is already over the cap so IIRC the salaries would have to matchup so the only way they could get a deal done would be to send Powell/Kleber to Toronto for Dragic.

One of them plus a prospect? (Terry or Green?) Or a pick maybe? Idk what they offered and what they didn’t but I take it that it wasn’t a very good offer if they even made one so Toronto can realistically hold him until the deadline now if they wanted. 

2 minutes ago, kyle21121 said:

One of them plus a prospect? (Terry or Green?) Or a pick maybe? Idk what they offered and what they didn’t but I take it that it wasn’t a very good offer if they even made one so Toronto can realistically hold him until the deadline now if they wanted. 

Since Dallas is over the cap I think they'd have to send out enough salary to match Dragic's $18M cap hit so it'd have to be Powell and Kleber. 

59 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Since Dallas is over the cap I think they'd have to send out enough salary to match Dragic's $18M cap hit so it'd have to be Powell and Kleber. 

Fair enough maybe it would have been easier to include a third team to make this work. 

1 minute ago, kyle21121 said:

Fair enough maybe it would have been easier to include a third team to make this work. 

Either way Dallas will have to unload $18M in cap space to take back Dragic. But it could work if they believe that WCS/Brown can take Powell/Kleber's minutes.