Preseason Week 1: Eagles vs Steelers

Danger

4 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I thought he's flowed to the ball nicely in run support.

Which plays did you think he made mistakes on?

Guy has looked borderline lost on a lot of coverage snaps. If he is getting playing time on D I think it speaks more to how poor our LB depth is than how good he is. 

2 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Can't speak for coverage really, but he's been around the ball a ton.

Right he is making tackles in the run game. One was a good read. Others were standard LB play. He is also playing vs third string players which is what he is atm. 

I’m not going to pretend to know exactly what every zone assignment is, but he was near the ball on a few easy catches including the TD in the middle of the field.

Think he has an uphill battle seeing the field unless Taylor is just a complete bust. Wilson, Singleton, Edwards, Taylor should be the LBs getting playing time. 

5 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Right he is making tackles in the run game. One was a good read. Others were standard LB play. He is also playing vs third string players which is what he is atm. 

He got in pretty early if I recall. Think he's played versus 2nd and 3rd string.

Thought he had more than one good play in run support. At least 2 or 3.

I’m not going to pretend to know exactly what every zone assignment is, but he was near the ball on a few easy catches including the TD in the middle of the field.

He was covering the TE down the field on that play and was with him.

Not sure what happened on that busted play. Like you said I'm not gonna pretend to know who was at fault there, but it was likely one of the safeties.

Think he has an uphill battle seeing the field unless Taylor is just a complete bust. Wilson, Singleton, Edwards, Taylor should be the LBs getting playing time. 

What did Wilson do to impress? He came down on the RB and just whiffed. He wasn't in long, but I think Eagles fans are probably overrating the guy. We gotta hope he does work in coverage though.

Edwards and Singleton were in on plays quite a bit when they were in the game too. 

But, yeah I never said he was gonna see the field. He's LB4 or LB5, but I think he'll be on the 53. If he's gonna make an impact early it'll have to be on special teams and that might be the case for Davion Taylor too especially with him missing valuable reps in training camp and preseason.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

1 minute ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

He got in pretty early if I recall. Think he's played versus 2nd and 3rd string.

Thought he had more than one good play in run support. At least 2 or 3.

He was covering the TE down the field on that play and was with him.

Not sure what happened on that busted play. Like you said I'm not gonna pretend to know who was at fault there, but it was likely one of the safeties.

What did Wilson do to impress? He came down on the RB and just whiffed. He wasn't in long, but I think Eagles fans are probably overrating the guy.

Edwards and Singleton were in on plays quite a bit when they were in the game too. 

But, yeah I never said he was gonna see the field. He's LB4 or LB5, but I think he'll be on the 53. If he's gonna make an impact early it'll have to be on special teams and that might be the case for Davion Taylor too especially with him missing valuable reps in training camp and preseason.

I think Wilson’s track record as a LB in the NFL can allow me to look past one bad snap in the preseason… meanwhile guys like Bradley I can be much more critical of cause they have done basically nothing. 

Im not overrating Wilson, but he is going to be one of our best LBs and he will start. Our LB group is still one of the worst in the league unless Edwards/Singleton/Taylor greatly improve this year. 

1 minute ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I think Wilson’s track record as a LB in the NFL can allow me to look past one bad snap in the preseason… meanwhile guys like Bradley I can be much more critical of cause they have done basically nothing. 

Again I don't think Wilson has ever been a good run defender in his NFL career. Graded out poorly last year by PFF and they value coverage more than run defense, so he must've been pretty bad in the latter.

After the Giants game.

Saints

Steelers

I think he didn't play much at all as a rookie, but he showed nicely in those very limited snaps.

4 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Our LB group is still one of the worst in the league unless Edwards/Singleton/Taylor greatly improve this year. 

We agree here.

I just think its weird you were singling out Bradley. He was showing up a lot more than basically any other Eagles defender that is lower on the totem pole.

Overview

A couple weeks ago, I looked at all of Davion Taylor's snaps on the 2020 season, and what I saw was a player who simply wasn't ready to play in the regular defense, and who still has a long way to go before he can contribute positively. Those types of projects are in a tough spot, because they need game action to get better, and defensive coordinators have to be willing to live with bad short term results in order for them to grow. Taylor has a ways to go before he can play at all, in my opinion, while Bradley showed that he was at least a competent enough player to get meaningful snaps while he continues to grow.

It also certainly doesn't hurt that Bradley was a core special teamer, in terms of his chances of making the roster in 2021, and I would even consider him a decent candidate to earn a bigger role in the regular defense in Year 2.

After Kempski's film study on him this offseason.

https://www.phillyvoice.com/eagles-player-review-shaun-bradley-edition-058882/

Patrick Johnson has showed up a little.

Marlon Tuipulotu has been nonexistent which is disappointing for me as a USC fan.

I really think these 3rd/4th stringers could've used Jacoby Stevens leadership/getting guys lined up. I think he was in with the 1st or 2nd team in practice calling things out in camp. He's just a smart confident player.