Dolphins Depth Chart

JourneymanQB13

The Dolphins released their initial depth chart a few days ago. https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/depth/_/name/mia

The first thing that stands out to me is the O-Line with Jesse Davis listed as the starter at RT and rookie Liam Eichenberg slotted as the starting LG over Solomon Kindley. I am excited to see Eichenberg come in and start right away. As decorated as he was coming out of Notre Dame, I figured he would be an impact player right away. HOWEVER, I figured he'd slide from LT at Notre Dame to RT with the Dolphins, NOT LG over Kindley. Obviously, I am not coaching the Dolphins. I am not there every day watching guys take reps and burning the midnight oil to grind the film, but as a fan, I feel like we know who Jesse Davis is. He is a solid backup with some versatility, but that's it. He's not a starter that can be counted on week after week, IMO. I cannot help but be concerned when I see him in the starting 5. I know Davis had a high PFF rating of 88.2 vs the Rams last year, but ideally, do we want Davis protecting our lefty QB's blindside? I hope this is some kind of wakeup call from the coaches to Solomon Kindley. 

The position battle at the forefront of the minds of DolpFans has to be WR. No surprises at the top. Sounds like Albert Wilson is building a great connection with Tua. All eyes will be on guys like Williams, Grant, Bowden, Ford, Perry, Hollins, and Hurns to see who will win the remaining spots. Personally, Grant intrigues me the most. We saw the cracks in his game last year when he was thrust into a more active role as a WR. However, he's such a great returner, but does that save him, especially when we have Waddle and Iggy waiting in the wing as returners? Grant is one of those guys who seems to have personality you cannot help but cheer for him as a fan, but with his salary hit and him being a #5 WR at best, does he make the final cut?  

On defense I did not see any surprises. I have read some stuff that Iggy may not pan out the way we hoped as a boundary CB. The kid turns 22 in November. He's still young. I'd preach patience over panic with him. I have seen good stuff about Jevon Holland and I thought he was an excellent pickup out of Oregon in Rd. 2 of the draft. I feel he will eventually take the starter role from McCourty at some point. 

Edited by JourneymanQB13

Yes lots of surprises, especially Kindley. Like wow, what happened to the guy and why is he in the doghouse after being a rookie starter? And who expected Eichenberg to be the friggin' LG?!? We all thought he was the penciled-in RT but the Fins tricked us. 

Otoh I've always thought it's crazy to take a college star who played a certain side, then the NFL drafts him and immediately puts him on the other side and wonders why the guy struggles for a couple years. This guy has been blocking a certain way for 40 straight college games and now you expect him to forget all that and block the other direction against the best football players on the planet? Perhaps better to keep him on the left side even if it's not his college position. At least left side is familiar.