Giants' GM Jerry Reese: 'I'm the reason we're 1-6'

GmenSeattle

16 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

The offensive line hasn't been horrible for 5 years. The last two years it's been horrible. If they were horrible then Eli wouldn't have posted the numbers he did. People do ignore that we have 3 high picks on our o-line. And we were in Conklin in 2016. Let's not act out he has completely neglected it.

Yes it has been bad for the last 5 years, look at Coughlin last year when the Giants lost five very close games in the last minutes. One of the reason is because the defense could not close out games, but the other just as important if not more so is the lack of an ability to run the ball to execute a four minute game ending offense. The Giants couldn't do it then with the running game, they can't do it now. And as someone else pointed out just because you have some draft picks invested, does not mean they are good players. Last year the the tackles were the weakest link to the offensive line, Reese's solution, let do nothing. 

1 hour ago, Go_Giants said:

Yes it has been bad for the last 5 years, look at Coughlin last year when the Giants lost five very close games in the last minutes. One of the reason is because the defense could not close out games, but the other just as important if not more so is the lack of an ability to run the ball to execute a four minute game ending offense. The Giants couldn't do it then with the running game, they can't do it now. And as someone else pointed out just because you have some draft picks invested, does not mean they are good players. Last year the the tackles were the weakest link to the offensive line, Reese's solution, let do nothing. 

If the o-line in 2015 was so bad then ELi wouldbt have thrown for a career high in TDs. Yes running the ball we were bad and have been for the most part since 2013.

So we have drafted poor players while the rest of the league is way ahead of us. They have all good players, right? Last offseason there was no way we could address the OL in any meaningful way. The OL class in the draft was horrible and the FA class was not in our price range.

1 hour ago, telso said:

Fire Reese&Ross, hire Gettleman and let him make changes. 

Last I heard, the Panthers fans hated Gettleman. Looking it up now, forgot he was fired. Either way its time for new blood. We don't need band aids. Time to go under the knife.

22 hours ago, Acgott said:

If two sets of coaches can only make on playoff appearance in 6 years, then it’s the GM...

Uh McAdoo is in his second year...

We need talent on the o-line. We need to build a good o-line. And add a bit more buff to that d-line.   This ain't the Browns Or 49ers. Why are Eagles so good? O-line. Why have Dallas dominated the division 2 out of the past 4 years? o-line. Why were the 49ers great under Harbaugh? Their O-line. Saying well we need a new CB, we need a new LB? We need a new WR, we need a RB is really silly in reality.

20 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Uh McAdoo is in his second year...

We need talent on the o-line. We need to build a good o-line. And add a bit more buff to that d-line.   This ain't the Browns Or 49ers. Why are Eagles so good? O-line. Why have Dallas dominated the division 2 out of the past 4 years? o-line. Why were the 49ers great under Harbaugh? Their O-line. Saying well we need a new CB, we need a new LB? We need a new WR, we need a RB is really silly in reality.

This is the whole point of this conversation. Reese hasn’t surrounded us with talent...

1 hour ago, Acgott said:

This is the whole point of this conversation. Reese hasn’t surrounded us with talent...

No what he has not done is provide the necessary help or focus on the o-line. He has provided sufficient in talent relative in other areas to the rest of the league 

It wouldn't matter if we had the best OL. The offense Mcadoo is running is busted. It is predictable and, as clearly evidenced by anemic we are without OBJ, completely predicated on the big play through sheer effort on a pass catcher's part. I don't know how the offense went from good to terrible when we promoted our OC to HC, but it happened. Reese hasn't done well drafting and Mcadoo is not a good head coach, and the latter bit speaks directly to Reese's competence, as the two are "joined at the hip". Giants ownership was going to let Reese pick his own head coach and see if he could succeed with him and he hasn't.

2 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

No what he has not done is provide the necessary help or focus on the o-line. He has provided sufficient in talent relative in other areas to the rest of the league 

We have a bad OL for many years. Bad TE for many years. Below avg RB, Bad LB.

1 hour ago, Acgott said:

We have a bad OL for many years. Bad TE for many years. Below avg RB, Bad LB.

We've had a bad OL these past two years in pass pro. Run blocking yeah we've struggled quite a great deal there. We drafted a TE this past draft. Linebacker I'll agree with you wholeheartedly. RB, ehh. See that's my point, you guys assume Jerry makes all the picks. You really think that Jerry was overruling Coughlin in his time? 

37 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

We've had a bad OL these past two years in pass pro. Run blocking yeah we've struggled quite a great deal there. We drafted a TE this past draft. Linebacker I'll agree with you wholeheartedly. RB, ehh. See that's my point, you guys assume Jerry makes all the picks. You really think that Jerry was overruling Coughlin in his time? 

We have had a bad OL for a number of years. Why do you think we drafted one so highly?

A GM and a HC work together on the draft, but I’m going with Reese has final say over Coughlin. Absolutely. Reese spends all year with his scouts preparing for the draft, Coughlin just a few months. Although I don’t think there are many examples when they weren’t on the same page.

It seems you want to keep Reese, so are you firing McAdoo? Or do you want to keep both of them? 

So I felt a little froggy and decided to compile Reeses's draft classes by game ultimately played in the NFL in comparison to Accorsi's. So if that doesn't make sense it's the total games the cumulative players from that draft class went on to play in the NFL (not just for the Giants). Now obviously I can't do any of Reeses recent draft classes for this since some are still playing (and to be fair Eli is still playing so 2004 is still increasin) so I started with 2012

2012: 238
2011: 251
2010: 273
2009: 303
2008: 295
2007: 584

2006: 505
2005: 412 (only 4 picks)
2004: 566
2003: 957 (11 picks)
2002: 398
2001: 337
2000: 669

Reese Avg: 324
Accorsi Avg: 549

Reese's 2007 draft class was excellent but he's never come close to replicating it. Now granted this way of comparing holds career ending injuries like Wilson and Kenny Phillips against the GM but the same can be said for guys like Sinorice Moss in the Accorsi era. So I figure it's a wash it the overall consolidation.

Archived