Preseason Week 1 GDT - Trey Lance Debut

N4L

17 minutes ago, straighthate said:

Good take. I didn’t rewatch and there wasn’t a ton of replays when it did look like he screwed up. Eye test during the game, when focused on the ball, was he seemed to be getting beat, but I certainly didn’t focus on him during each play. 

My hope is like Anthony Davis. Remember how bad he was initially? Was getting pummeled it seemed like on every play and looked like a bust.
By year two he was a different player for sure. 

I like the idea, but the specific comp I can't get behind. Anthony Davis was one of the youngest players in the draft that year; I think he was only 20 when he was drafted, and he went to Rutgers and was a tackle. There was a huuuuuuge gap between what he was at the time and what he could be. That should not at all be the case for Banks, who went to what is arguably the pre-eminent offensive line factory in college, and will be 24  in two weeks. That's a 3.5 year developmental difference. Banks is likely maxed out physically (especially given that ND has one of best S & C programs in the country) and ND offensive line coaching is no joke. 

Banks should be about as plug and play as it gets and he's not that.  Now, I don't think that anyone should be writing him off, but a 24 year old rookie struggling in camp  and in preseason when he was a guy that was expected to have the talent and ability to come in and start right away is a sizable red flag. Again, you let it play out and nobody should be jumping to conclusions, but there is enough here to be concerned about given the specific circumstances, especially when you see him struggling with his feet (feet are slow to kick out and anchor, people are getting in around him) 

Just now, AustrianNiner said:

Banks missing up to three weeks is rough. Definitely open to make a move at guard.

Was just about to post this. 

Watkins definitely hits the PS now. Banks maybe becomes the third string RG ? I think McKivitz will likely pass him before the season starts. 

32 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Yeah I counted about 4 bad snaps from him.

I need to re-watch the end of the 3rd and all of the 4th again. I was feeding my 2-month a bottle and trying to pause, rewind with one hand on my Xbox controller - didn’t go well. 

overall, he wasn’t horrible. He played next to Brendel, Compton, and Shepley all game, so not exactly guys you can rely on to always make their block. 

also, the Chiefs are pretty freaking deep along the interior. Banks got to see a lot of quality all throughout the game, which is great for his development.

The thing is, he didn't play a lot of snaps. He's basically averaging a bad snap every 4 play series. That's a high number of drives he's going to end up killing. That's an unsustainable rate obviously, that small sample works both ways (I would have to imagine that 1 bad snap every 4 or 5 plays is a completely unsustainable level of suckiness for anyone not named Justin Skule), but to put it in perspective, think about how bad McG was in pass pro last year.

Top 10 in pressures allowed (I think around 40), had 25 blown blocks and 8 sacks allowed which were both among the worst at the position (this varies depending on where you get your numbers; PFF only credited him with 5 sacks allowed, I think, these numbers are from sports info solutions, and WaPo gave him 6.5), but then realize he played over 500 passing down snaps. He's nowhere near the level of badness that Aaron Banks put up last year even if you consider it 4 bad plays in 20 snaps or so. 

42 minutes ago, Forge said:

I like the idea, but the specific comp I can't get behind. Anthony Davis was one of the youngest players in the draft that year; I think he was only 20 when he was drafted, and he went to Rutgers and was a tackle. There was a huuuuuuge gap between what he was at the time and what he could be. That should not at all be the case for Banks, who went to what is arguably the pre-eminent offensive line factory in college, and will be 24  in two weeks. That's a 3.5 year developmental difference. Banks is likely maxed out physically (especially given that ND has one of best S & C programs in the country) and ND offensive line coaching is no joke. 

Banks should be about as plug and play as it gets and he's not that.  Now, I don't think that anyone should be writing him off, but a 24 year old rookie struggling in camp  and in preseason when he was a guy that was expected to have the talent and ability to come in and start right away is a sizable red flag. Again, you let it play out and nobody should be jumping to conclusions, but there is enough here to be concerned about given the specific circumstances, especially when you see him struggling with his feet (feet are slow to kick out and anchor, people are getting in around him) 

Very much this. Coupled with the fact that many including myself thought he went a round or two early and it looks even more damning. Like I was really expected him as a second rounder to pretty much push Brunskill into a primary backup role. That is definitely not the case. Still possible that Lynch makes a move for a vet. But it really shouldn't have to come to that. So that pick is a big fat 'L' right now. Dude isn't even really playable at this point. This has AJ Jenkins vibes to it....that ain't good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Was just about to post this. 

Watkins definitely hits the PS now. Banks maybe becomes the third string RG ? I think McKivitz will likely pass him before the season starts. 

Honestly they should be giving a long look at Moore@RG imo. Moore really should kick inside, get his feet wet as a pro, then try moving to OT later down the line. Just think he fits better along the interior at the moment. He didn't look totally out of place at tackle yesterday. But he just doesn't move fluid enough for me to justify him jumping into the mix@swing tackle, right out the gate as a rookie.

Is Shaun Coleman still with the team?

*Edit*

Just realized Coleman was #78 lol

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, GW21 said:

Those three drops didn’t help Lance out. He did have two passes he was lucky weren’t picked off though. 

True. They take the drops into account though. The fumble is probably what nuked his grade along with a couple of ugly throws in his limited action. 

Doesn't mean anything in the long run. All the rookies I saw, they all clearly looked like rookies. No one blew the doors off. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Agreed, all good points. But that’s why I said my “hope” not my prediction. 

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

Honestly they should be giving a long look at Moore@RG imo. Moore really should kick inside, get his feet wet as a pro, then try moving to OT later down the line. Just think he fits better along the interior at the moment. He didn't look totally out of place at tackle yesterday. But he just doesn't move fluid enough for me to justify him jumping into the mix@swing tackle, right out the gate as a rookie.

Is Shaun Coleman still with the team?

*Edit*

Just realized Coleman was #78 lol

I actually think the plan should have been to groom him at center. I like him more there then at guard. I don't think he's strong enough to handle guard. He is a couple of years from being a tight end. I think that's a big ask

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

I'm guessing Jaylon Moore will be our swing tackle. 

I didn't mind him. There were some awful ugly plays (I swear on the one sack it just looked like he gave up), but he moves very fluidly. Needs so much coaching though. Like so much 😂

Didn't get to watch but from reading/highlights, it seems like the rookies in the secondary did well, OL did poorly, and RB's didn't stand out 

Lance seemed up and down. I think the best thing would be doing what the Ravens did with Flacco/Jackson in 2018, where Jackson took over around mid-season after they realised how maxed out Flacco was, but give Lance a nice mix of passes/designed runs while he's getting his feet wet

11 minutes ago, Forge said:

I actually think the plan should have been to groom him at center. I like him more there then at guard. I don't think he's strong enough to handle guard. He is a couple of years from being a tight end. I think that's a big ask

If Brunskill can play OG, Moore can definitely do it. Remember that Brunsklill was a converted TE in college as well.

I just remember Moore from the Senior Bowl pratices and thought he looked more natural inside. He looked ok@OT but his reaction time was better when he was slotted inside.

Edited by 757-NINER