packfanfb

My top guys to watch:

- Some guy named Love 

- Hill and Taylor at RB 

- Nauta at TE

- Garvin v. Tipa for No. 4 EDGE 

- Stokes v. Josh Jackson for the No. 3 outside CB

- Jean-Charles in the slot 

- Young safeties (Black, Scott, Gaines, Uphoff) 

• Like 1

I am more excited for this than I really should be.

7 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

My top guys to watch:

- Hill and Taylor at RB 

- Garvin v. Tipa for No. 4 EDGE 

- Jean-Charles in the slot 

- Young safeties (Black, Scott, Gaines, Uphoff) 

I agree.  Add in Delonte Scott.  I liked that signing last season.  We haven't gotten a look at any of these guys aside a bit from Garvin and Vernon Scott.  

I also really want to see the OL.  I really like what I hear of most of our linemen, but let's see these young guys in action.  Hopefully they hold up well enough to allow some passing.  I remember one year where the second string OL was so bad that we really didn't get to see any of our depth WRs really do anything.  

#1 wish (and this may be odd) Oren Burks figured out how to football.  I think we can save a couple of roster spots if this guy can be passable.  He can probably eat some snaps as an extra pass rusher, back up ILB and plays on all special teams (as far as I know).  

• Like 1

Expecting a very sugar-coated game for Love tonight.   Lots of safe throws.  PR wise, it's important he comes out of this looking decent.  The next 3 games will set the PR tone for Love, and winning isn't as important as how Love looks in these games. 

Lots of position battles going on.  Could see a big night from Dillon depending on carry distribution.   

57 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I am more excited for this than I really should be.

I agree.  Add in Delonte Scott.  I liked that signing last season.  We haven't gotten a look at any of these guys aside a bit from Garvin and Vernon Scott.  

I also really want to see the OL.  I really like what I hear of most of our linemen, but let's see these young guys in action.  Hopefully they hold up well enough to allow some passing.  I remember one year where the second string OL was so bad that we really didn't get to see any of our depth WRs really do anything.  

#1 wish (and this may be odd) Oren Burks figured out how to football.  I think we can save a couple of roster spots if this guy can be passable.  He can probably eat some snaps as an extra pass rusher, back up ILB and plays on all special teams (as far as I know).  

Serious question. I get the idea of how nice it would be if he figured out how to play ILB, but where did you get the idea he could rush the passer? Not sarcasm just curious if he's ever had success in that area.

2 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Expecting a very sugar-coated game for Love tonight.   Lots of safe throws.  PR wise, it's important he comes out of this looking decent.  The next 3 games will set the PR tone for Love, and winning isn't as important as how Love looks in these games. 

Lots of position battles going on.  Could see a big night from Dillon depending on carry distribution.   

Certainly they want to set Love up for success, but they also have to find out if he can be the future. IMO, screw the PR, let's find out if the kid can play. I'm torn though whether I want to see much of Tonyan, MVS and Lazard playing with him as well. If they don't and he's throwing to scrubs that is going to be a difficult ask of him. Reggie Begelton fan club starts to grow tonight. 

As for DIllon, if he gets 1 carry and they remove him from the game I'm good with it. He's our #2 back so let's not be rash in the preseason. We've got a three way battle behind him with Williams, Hill and Taylor. Let's see what they can do. 

29 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Serious question. I get the idea of how nice it would be if he figured out how to play ILB, but where did you get the idea he could rush the passer? Not sarcasm just curious if he's ever had success in that area.

Scott is an edge player. Had 10 sacks in last year at SMU. He wouldn't be here if the Packers didn't think he has some pass rush potential. There's little reason to think he can play ILB. 

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Certainly they want to set Love up for success, but they also have to find out if he can be the future. IMO, screw the PR, let's find out if the kid can play. 

They arent going to do that yet.    Hes a work in progress, simple getting his feet wet stuff tonight.   

Looking at feet movement and going through his progressions type stuff.

Edited by NFLGURU

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Burks has the athletic profile to be able to rush the passer.  I believe that he played inside backer, pass rusher and safety at Vanderbilt.  He is 6'3 233 and ran a 4.6.  All that said, we have all seen him play some really poor football so far in his career.  If he were able to play at a non-liability level on defense, he could be a core STs guy and a back-up ILB and emergency pass rusher.  That may allow the team to keep a guy like EQ or Winfree or Stanford Samuels, or Patrick Taylor who I think may have more to offer in the future.  Rather than keeping Martin/McDuffie/Summers and Galeai/Scott those two roles could be done by one guy.  Again, I would put the possibility of that somewhere around zero.

Here you can see some of Burks' snap breakdown while in college:

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/oren-burks/50203/draft-profile

1 hour ago, Brat&Beer said:

Scott is an edge player. Had 10 sacks in last year at SMU. He wouldn't be here if the Packers didn't think he has some pass rush potential. There's little reason to think he can play ILB. 

I think he was asking about Burks.  I liked Delonte Scott a lot as a UDFA.  I really was looking forward to seeing how he rushed the passer last preseason.  I thought that between Scott, Galeai, and Garvin we would have some fun watching them just get after 3rd string QBs.  I have heard very little about Scott from the practices and camps though.