Preseason Week 1: Texans @ Packers

packfanfb

NIJMAN

1st drive he was fine.

2nd drive:

backside run block

Love is flushed his direction. does fine with extendo block (JRJ on Flush)

gets a push on his guy around the pocket. (Patrick lets trash through)

3rd drive:

gets 2nd level easy walls off, Sternberger has super weak trap block. Stern gets something there and its Kylin vs a safety.

double with Stern. Patrick misses the knife guy and is tackled from backside.

Long Stern throw, stays in front of his guy for the 3 seconds.

Run his direction logs his guy out (thats a win) (JRJ gets absolutely **** canned by a LB and the play is blown up)

Pro, does fine

Pro, does fine

moving pocket no block

tried moving pocket away guy shoots and wrecks the play, Nijman downblocks does fine.

Pro on screen does fine with a guy. TD

END 1ST Q

4th drive:

pro does fine

Pro does fine

Pro, love goes 10 deep Nijman is in the guys hip pocket. Kylin misses a blitz pickup pressure in loves face. makes for 4th and 2

PA away, does fine.

5th Drive:

Pro does fine

doubles with some thicky TE, 80? they destroy their side of the line. (patrick doesnt come off his combo block so the ILB runs in free) Kylin cant get to playside, cut back into traffic

Draw, does his job. does a little dance with his guy he couldve just not done. (Kelly and Patrick get 0 movement on Blacklock. Pulling blocker isnt able to go anywhere, giant ugly pile up. Kylin has nowhere to go. slot cleans up

pro, guy tries a stunt, comes back out nijman is there, does his job. (kelly allows pressure on swim disrupting the throw)

6th drive:

The whiffle block. Stops his legs, lunges, hands are swiped. riding the back of his shoulder, Love could slide up and through between the G. If Love just doesnt load that up the guy is rode around the edge. combo of bad/unfortunate things, Nijman being the worst thing.

7th Drive:

Destroys combo with Braden, isnt ready when he hits 2nd level that fast. Stern has an uninspired block (called hold because he cant get his guy turned), Amari and Funchess dont hold their blocks forever, Funchess' guy makes the stop. Probably our best run, 9 yards lolol

Doesnt get his *** around on 2nd level block. (Braden doesnt get his *** around on the DT, short gain)

Playside run Nijman one arms his guy out of the play, good show of strength. (Braden shoots too hard on Blacklock and he just blows past his ***)

Downblock, looks like cutback block is there if kylin takes it. (JRJ Patrick combo falls apart as Kylin reaches it.)

HALFTIME:

8th Drive:

PA, Nijman downblocks.

Gary interview no playback

Long developing PA. combo with Braden stones the guy, comes off combo to pick up delay.

zone run away, bad handoff (new spriggs had his hands full playside)

9th Drive:

Pro does fine

PA combo into no one to block.

Run away, pushes his LB lined up on the line over him 10 yards downfield. convert 3rd and 2 run

draw, does his job

PA pro does fine

playside run, a good bit of awareness here, goes for combo with TE, his guy is moving away comes back to the LB knifing through, helps decongest things, if Kylin doesnt trip over 45 its a pretty nice run. turns into about a 6 yarder

playside run, his guy pretty much takes himself out of the play, does his job. 80 at FB indecisive in the hole on the block clogging things up a bit. 3 yard gain

high snap, **** went sideways.

4th and 5 pro does fine

10th Drive:

draw away, not much going on

WR screen not much going on

run away does his job (need 22 to see why Taylor didnt take what looks like a hole to pick up 3rd and 1, runs into OL instead)

11th Drive:

Pro does fine

Downblock does fine on quick throw

Pro does fine (kurt runs into trouble far side)

12th Drive:

Combos with 45, gets push so TE can handle, goes 2nd level and bounces his guy down the field 9 yard gain ( Hanson and 78 got out in front showing some athleticism finally the whole line working it)

Run away, seals off backside. (think Dexter is showing more than Taylor here.)

Slow getting to 2nd level cutback block (dexter hesitates on cutback combining the two makes for 3 yard gain)

Buries his 2nd level block Dexter runs up his *** for 1st down

pro does fine

pro does fine

PA downblock shoves guy to ground, been trying to do that all night on his downblocks finally gets one (interception, shouldve just thrown away nothing there)

GAME

Thats it, thats all his snaps, I saw 2 negatives at least 2 positives. Do I think Nijman makes the team? I think they keep Kelly for the veteran backup instead, he's just seen more, don't think it's a gigantic gap between the two in play. If this wasnt something of an "all in" year I'd give the nod to Nijman. 

Nijman has trouble resetting on bull rush but he's got enough sand that its a slow push, athletic enough to make up for some mistakes against speed, powerful enough to move some guys, indecisive enough to disappoint you.

*"does fine" ranges anywhere from swallows his guy whole to got in the way enough.

Edited by HighCalebR
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, umphrey said:

Th Athletic post game write up was actually neutral to slightly negative on Love. Thought he tried to be too perfect with his throws and was generally too conservative.  Can't say I agree but an interesting take. 

Not a horrible assessment. MLF basically said the same thing. I actually thought that some of the other QB's had more zip on the ball than Love did, but that's just a guess. And if he was indeed aiming the ball, that would account for lack of spin

Edited by cannondale
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, umphrey said:

Th Athletic post game write up was actually neutral to slightly negative on Love. Thought he tried to be too perfect with his throws and was generally too conservative.  Can't say I agree but an interesting take. 

Didn't MLF state something in the post game about over no "letting it rip"?

Heard some radio this morning about Love was "aiming" and not "throwing".

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Nope, but it's apples and oranges. People in the know last year said Boyle was head and shoulders better than Love. My comment was more tongue in cheek regardless

Actually it's not but whatever. Boyle was awful! He was outplayed by a mile by Blough. If you can't see the difference between the upside of Jordan Love vs. Tim Boyle I feel bad for you. 

You can continue your hate towards Love all you want. The kid has the goods. Tons of room for improvement but anybody who couldn't see why the Packers traded up to grab him is looking for flaws, rather than the very apparent upside high ceiling. He's got the potential to be very, very good. 

He's a keeper. Great job by Gute to get him last year. 

Edited by Old Guy

48 minutes ago, umphrey said:

Schneidman is a pretty decent writer/reporter and a nice guy, but his football knowledge is quite disappointing. I wouldn't take any of his analysis seriously.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Actually it's not but whatever. Boyle was awful! He was outplayed by a mile by Blough. You can continue your hate towards Love all you want. The kid has the goods. Tons of room for improvement but anybody who couldn't see why the Packers traded up to grab him is looking for flaws, rather than the very apparent upside. He's got the potential to be very, very good. 

He's a keeper. 

How can I hate Love. I don't even know him. Boyle dressed every game last year as the backup. Love was inactive. Not sure what the argument is other than MLF is liar liar pants on fire. Just as with the assessments after Amari's first punt return, I'll reserve long term judgement.

He did throw in to double coverage twice, almost whiffed on a throw to a wide open Funchess. The throw to Sternberger was nice, albiet wide open. Degree of difficulty on Love's throws was pretty low last night. You call it hate, I call it calling it how it was. MLF's take seemed honest and fair as well

Edited by cannondale

MYERS

1st Drive:

Quick throw does his job

PA 90 beats him to his spot on the zone block JRJ offered no help, Dillon eats a free hit

Pro, his guy head up drops, helps to the weak side

2nd Drive:

middle run, helps Patrick control his guy, moves to 2nd level to bully right side gets clogged up. (JRJ gets swam past by Blacklock to not allow cutback)

Pro helps patrick (JRJ on an island has his hands full, flushes Love)

Pro, stunt, Patrick follows guy across his face who Myers recognizes he has to come collect, stunt guy flies past Patrcik giving pressure on Love. No idea if he tried to communicate that to Patrick, but Myers did his job

3rd Drive:

zone right, buries DT #44

Zone left, is stalemate with DT #91, initially get shoved a bit but comes back to the block (Patrick doesnt collect ILB.)

Pro helps Patrick weak side long Stern catch. (JRJ gives pressure)

zone left gets in front of DT #91 wins the block. (JRJ ****canned by ILB)

Pro helps Patrick weakside.

Pro stones head up NT #91

zone PA right. moves Blacklock down the line

PA middle is muddled up (Love late on the flat to stern)

Screen, Solid delay, locks on his guy ends up blocking 3 guys from being able to get to Kylin.

END

Can't wait to watch Elgton and Myers combos. ****s gonna get moved.

Patrick and JRJ should be concerning people after last night.

• Like 1