Preseason Week 1: Texans @ Packers

packfanfb

Ross Uglem -   Oren Burks popped for me live. Athletic testing-wise, he's the Rashan Gary of off-ball LB prospects. He's been awful so far, but he's a safety convert so it's not *insane* that the light could turn on this season. What an incredible bonus that would be.

Regards Love's pass completion to Sternberger....

Ross Uglem -   That's just an A-1, professional quarterback throw. Enough touch to get it over the dropping backer, enough zip to get it between the C2 safeties and not get your TE murdered.

Bill Huber / SI  -  Jon Runyan and Lucas Patrick were the starting guards for the Green Bay Packers in Saturday’s preseason opener, but that doesn’t mean they’re going to be the starters for the regular-season opener in 28 days.

“I just kind of wanted to see how they looked out there,” offensive line coach Adam Stenavich said on Sunday. “So far with those guys at the guard position, no one’s really stepped up and risen above the rest, so we just put them out there with the first group and see how they handle it.”

The Packers have spent most of training camp rotating in three guard tandems with the No. 1 offense: Runyan at left guard and Patrick at right guard, Runyan at left guard and Ben Braden at right guard, and Braden at left guard and Patrick at right guard. While that rotation stopped at Thursday’s practice and Saturday’s game against the Houston Texans, that doesn’t mean the Packers have found their starting combo.

With a practice on Monday and joint practices on Wednesday and Thursday against the New York Jets, Stenavich said he’d probably give one of his other tandems a shot during Saturday’s preseason game against the Jets.

“Yeah, I think so,” Stenavich said. “We’ll kind of see how this week goes in practice versus the Jets and stuff, but I think we will.”

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Ross Uglem -   Oren Burks popped for me live. Athletic testing-wise, he's the Rashan Gary of off-ball LB prospects. He's been awful so far, but he's a safety convert so it's not *insane* that the light could turn on this season. What an incredible bonus that would be.

Would be great, but I'm not holding my breath.

3 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Would be great, but I'm not holding my breath.

It would be so hilarious if it worked out. Every year or two there's a guy who almost everyone is done with that ends up becoming at least a decent player and I love it every single time

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Norm said:

It would be so hilarious if it worked out. Every year or two there's a guy who almost everyone is done with that ends up becoming at least a decent player and I love it every single time

Probably started with Bart Starr.

"This kid from Alabama can't throw, he needs to go" lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Norm said:

Yep and it just happens to come in a contract year...

Is this the longest Burks has gone in any camp without being variably injured?  Being bigger, stronger, and healthier could be very helpful.  Of course, instinct and quickness of recognition/decision, guys who don't have it never get it, I don't think.  

I only got to watch a few series of the game, but....

• Love looked better in his first season game than Rodgers did.
    • Looked like he was on time.  Good rhythm.
    • Great touch throw to Funchess over the middle.
    • Great arm angle and execution on the screen.
  • Hill is a keeper.
    • Explosion is there.  Athleticism is there.  
    • Looks to be a great compliment to Dillon and has a similar skillset to Jones.
  • Funchess needs to make the team.
    • He was a man among boys.
    • Brings energy.
  • Slaten is wow.
    • That's the anchor we really need.
    • Needs better conditioning to play that many snaps, but the talent is evident.
  • Uh, who is really #42 and what happened to ourBurks?
    • Popped on film big time, even on specials.
  • Our specials are still pretty pathetic.
  • Josh Jackson shouldn't be purchasing any property soon.
  • Like 1

Paul Bretl -  Packers v. Texans: Behind The Numbers

- 7 completions on 10 targets for 91 yards :  No, unfortunately, this is not one of the Green Bay Packers receivers, but rather Josh Jackson's stat line

- 2.3 yards per rush No, the Green Bay Packers didn't have David Bakhtiari, Elgton Jenkins, or Billy Turner, but as offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett said, the offensive line play, particularly against the run, was "very bad."

- 110.4 That is Jordan Love's passer rating from his first career NFL game--not bad. And I think most would agree that this was a solid debut for him. Love finished the game going 12/17 for 122 yards with one touchdown. 

- 120 yards With the sixth receiver spot up for grabs, we saw Devin Funchess and Malik Taylor both have some excellent performances against the Texans. Funchess stole the show, hauling in six receptions on eight targets for 70 yards, but let's not forget about Taylor, who caught all five of his targets for 50 yards.

- 11 tackles There is a lot of inexperience on the depth chart behind Adrian Amos and Darnell Savage at the safety position, but Vernon Scott and Henry Black sure impressed, as they were all over the field on Saturday night.

- 7 tackles, 2 pressures, 1 sack I mean, who saw this coming? What a night for - Oren Burks.

- 17 special teams snaps Ray Wilborn and Innis Gaines led the team with 17 special teams snaps each. The reason that this is noteworthy is that many of the final roster spots are going to be determined by special teams contributions

6 minutes ago, Leader said:

- 17 special teams snaps Ray Wilborn and Innis Gaines led the team with 17 special teams snaps each. The reason that this is noteworthy is that many of the final roster spots are going to be determined by special teams contributions

This tells us the staff is high on Gaines for sure. He is making the roster.