The Franchise dynasty league (starting 2022)

sammymvpknight

Welcome everyone. One of my favorite things about fantasy football is that it promotes interest in the sport. Frankly, I would have probably stopped watching the NFL years ago if it wasn't for fantasy football. I've been playing a while, so I'm always trying to find new and interesting ways to keep fantasy (and therefore my interested in football) fresh. Dynasty is great because it ties in college football which I think is the superior product. But at the same time, while it strengthens your investment in the college game and I suppose players of the NFL, it does very little for building interest in the teams of the league. 

The solution? Starting 2022 I'll be hosting a league that will incorporate a stronger commitment to the teams of the NFL, and who knows, you may find yourself rooting for a different franchise's success. 

The league concept:

- 12 team, dynasty, 0.5 PPR, Superflex, IDP league

- Roster size 25. Positions: QB, WR, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, WR/RB, WR/TE, QB/WR/RB/TE, DL, DL, DL, LB, LB, LB, DB, DB, DB, BENCH x7

- Each team drafts two NFL franchises in a randomized snake draft before the first season. Managers select any 20 players off of the two franchises they drafted.

- The players from owned franchises that are not claimed by the franchise manages, or those on different franchises get put into a rookie draft pool. There will be a 5 round draft (first year will be randomized and snake, and subsequent drafts will be linear and based upon the prior year's standings). 

- A manager must keep a franchise for three years. After that point the manager may elect to change franchises (only for an available franchises), and if there is more than one franchise requesting a change, again there will be a random draft to select franchises (as above). There will be a one year transition period of drafting a franchise and being able to claim players of that franchise. This is done to help prevent people chasing draft picks, and potentially tanking.

As I am sure that this is a little difficult to wrap your head around...let me give you and example of what things will look like:

YEAR 1.

The 12 teams go into franchise draft. Completely random...but the 24 franchises that are drafts are all of the teams except those in the NFC South and NFC East. One manager selects the Jaguars and Chiefs. That manager is able to claim 20 players from any of those two teams (yes..they have access to Mahomes, CEH, Hill, Kelce, Lawrence, Etienne, etc). After the claims are made, there is a 5 round, randomized, snake draft consisting of players either not selected from those 24 teams or all of the players from other non-claimed franchises. The players that are not selected after that draft are put on waivers, like a normal fantasy draft. The league season is played. Players are acquired, either through trade or free agency likely usual. At seasons end, the teams are locked, like usual.

YEAR 2-3.

The twelve managers have access to all of the players of their team at last season's end, along with all of the players from their two selected franchises that are currently not on other rosters (this includes the incoming rookies). Each manager will then have to cut down their rosters to 20 players, and the cut players enter the rookie draft. There will now be a linear draft based on the prior year's standings. Essentially everything else is the same, as above.

YEAR 4.

Managers now have the option to change franchises. There will be a randomized snake draft, just as year one, for selecting new franchises. However, once those new franchises are selected, you will not be able to start getting the players from those new franchises for free until YEAR 5. You will continue to be able to claim players from two franchises you had years 1-3, in YEAR 4. Essentially, everything is the same from prior years at that point.

YEAR 5.

The managers that changed franchises in YEAR 4 are now able to claim available players from their new franchise that was drafted YEAR 4 (including rookies). You don't lose players from franchise your abandoned on your team, but you will not be able to claim new players from that old team. Everything else is the same.

We will have plenty of time to clarify and tidy up the rules. Obviously, this league will be more labor intensive and complex. I'm sure there are things that I'm not thinking about. I'm hoping that the league is competitive, but I'm also hopeful that it will be a fun league. Undoubtedly there will be some luck involved with this type of format.

I'd be happy to hear opinions, and let me know if you are interested. I will be selecting the teams to participate, so if you are new around here and I do not know you...I'd recommend telling me a little bit about your experience with fantasy football to give me some confidence that you once be a one and done type of manager. But I will be giving priority to folks that declare interest early.

7 minutes ago, Hagar said:

Interesting concept. Do you choose top offense, top defense, both....or something in the middle. Decisions, descriptions.

I may be interested, but not sure.

I’d prefer to keep it to just a team. It might bring some value to teams that you’d other not want in standard league. This isn’t a league if you’re hoping for more of the same...lots of those leagues around. 

9 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

I’d prefer to keep it to just a team. It might bring some value to teams that you’d other not want in standard league. This isn’t a league if you’re hoping for more of the same...lots of those leagues around. 

I know on choosing complete NFL teams. I was saying do you choose KC with a top offense and lesser defense or Chicago with a top defense (I think?) and a lesser offense ...ect.

25 minutes ago, Hagar said:

I know on choosing complete NFL teams. I was saying do you choose KC with a top offense and lesser defense or Chicago with a top defense (I think?) and a lesser offense ...ect.

I think that you’d rank the teams that have the best combination of both. KC obviously would be ranked really high. I haven’t started looking into scoring settings yet, but I’m hoping to not make the defensive scoring an after thought.