Preseason Week 1: Jets vs Giants

Acgott

It seems like Judge wanted to see a lot of several players in particular: Coughlin, Odenigbo,  Rodarius, Ragland, Clement (who might leapfrog Booker for the RB2 spot), Sills, and Thorson. Most of those guys were good in spots except for Thorson, who stunk.

The o-line settled in after a while and when they did block they committed very few penalties, so that's something to be optimistic about.

Edited by y*so*blu

Carter Coughlin, Will Hernandez, David Sills, and Andrew Thomas stood out to me.

Carter Coughlin has been playing ILB for about 2 weeks now and he's already way, way better than Tae Crowder. Crowder is an athletic dude, but he is not a good football player. He wasn't last year, and judging by this weekend, he isn't this year yet either. Coughlin deserves that starting ILB position next to Martinez. He's instinctive, versatile, and surprisingly explosive. If he continues to take the inside like he has, Graham is gonna love him; he already showed he could do a lot on the outside last year. A guy with that much versatility is so valuable.

23 hours ago, Acgott said:

@y*so*blu Thanks for the recap! The OL needs to be decent to have any shot this year. Can’t rely only on defense.

Good news on that front is Andrew Thomas looked like a stud and, as I had hoped with his offseason training, Will Hernandez looks like a high pick again. Peart struggled early, but he did settle in and play well after the first series. Nick Gates is still awesome; he's not an awesome player, but he's a gritty, tough, solid center. That LG position manned by Kenny Wiggins all game was a mess. We need Lemieux to be average there come the regular season.

I think we are going to field an average OL this season, which would be huge. However, if any of those guys get injured, we are screwed. We have 0 depth outside of Nate Solder.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I think we are going to field an average OL this season, which would be huge. However, if any of those guys get injured, we are screwed. We have 0 depth outside of Nate Solder.

Shane worries me a lot and while I love Peart and believe he will be a stud next season, this season he is going to deal with defensive coordinators coming up with game plan just to attack him. He is going to have some rough games. 

After last season I though very highly on Nick Gates. We all saw Andrew Thomas improve as the season got along, just hope his ankle is able to hold up. Starting this season I believed Hernandez ceiling was to be average, good to hear that his ceiling could be playing at a great level. 

Shane worries me a lot. I love Peart and believe he will be a stud next season, this season he is going to deal with defensive coordinators coming up with game plan just to attack him. He is going to have some rough games. 

It would be awesome if we could make the jump from having the 32nd rated offensive line to 16th, but I am thinking that is way too a high jump for us. I see us more improving from 32nd to 22nd which is still decent and probably enough for us to win this division. I believe us having an average to above average line will have to wait another season.