GDT Preseason Week 1: 0-0 Baltimore Ravens vs 0-0 New Orleans Saints

DreamKid

Didn't embed because it's one of those videos that redirects anyway(NFL block), but here is a video of Odafe's first half reps. He only played a view snaps in the 2nd half and nothing really came of those reps so I guess HIUF decided to leave those out. You can see his great run stuff(could have easily been a TFL in the books), the big QBH(essentially his sack), and some looks at him in coverage & as a gunner. 

-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eLOFr2DpXU

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Didn't embed because it's one of those videos that redirects anyway(NFL block), but here is a video of Odafe's first half reps. He only played a view snaps in the 2nd half and nothing really came of those reps so I guess HIUF decided to leave those out. You can see his great run stuff(could have easily been a TFL in the books), the big QBH(essentially his sack), and some looks at him in coverage & as a gunner. 

-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eLOFr2DpXU

I don't know how he missed that sack; he might actually be cursed to not get them.

He "pops" on the film and is far more sound that he is given credit for. He's going to be very good and a key piece of the defense even as a rookie. Even before Bateman got hurt, I would have bet on him having more of an immediate impact. Having him drop back 20 yards and line up at gunner is a bit much though. 

Edited by wackywabbit

6 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

I don't know how he missed that sack; he might actually be cursed to not get them.

He "pops" on the film and is far more sound that he is given credit for. He's going to be very good and a key piece of the defense even as a rookie. Even before Bateman got hurt, I would have bet on him having more of an immediate impact. Having him drop back 20 yards and line up at gunner is a bit much though.

Think he just came in too high and Winston is a bigger vet QB with some ability to break out of initial contact. Good learning experience for Odafe. As are those STs opportunities and coverage looks. The latter is a skill set he'll have to flesh out to be a steady part of this defense. I mean Wink even had ZDS dropping from the LOS so it's just something Odafe is going to have to refine(and he certainly has the athleticism to do just that- even if the natural feel for Pass Coverage comes later).

It's nice to see him flashing the way he did, 1v1 against a T as a pass rusher and run defender, but truthfully I think he'll be a really big asset(especially early) as a part of our blitz packages and the other advantageous looks provided by Wink's scheme. That kind of burst/speed coming unblocked or against TEs will be awesome and a terror for offenses. That's where I thought he'd really shine in Year 1, as kind of a pass rush weapon/disrupter feeding on EDGE friendly opportunity(ala Judon) and carrying over his stout ability against the run to the Pros. So anything beyond that is imo accelerated development and really exciting to see. 

I'd like for him to get more opportunity against the Panthers too. He was coming off minor injury earlier in the week(same with Daelin hayes) and somewhat nervous for his debut, so I'd really like to see him get a ton of reps against Caroline. With the shortened preseason Game 2 should function like Game 3 used to back when we had 4 games right? Let's see what the kid can put down on a larger sample size against better competition now. 

5 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

1:29 should have probably been scored a TFL

2:25 is a "missed tackle/sack" that's still productive - QB is dead to rights at that point even if Oweh isn't the one credited