Week 7 - 3 up, 3 down

tonyto36

UP:

1. Malcolm Butler:

He got beasted in the endzone by Julio at the end, but Julio is going to do that to a lot of people, and he had great position/coverage.  Other than that Butler was much better in coverage, and did a great job tackling.   After an extremely rough start to the season, he looked like he did all of last year - playing with confidence and competing on every snap.   His overall coverage numbers weren't great, but I thought he was a huge part in why the Falcons inexplicably couldn't move the ball.

2.  Trey Flowers:

After a fast sack-count start to the season, he's slowed down from that stand point, but still been our best player on the DL.  He had a QB hit, 2 pressures, and 3 run stops and did a good job holding his lane.   He moves all over the DL but continues to pick up double teams and still give production.   He was (reportedly) targeted once in coverage and gave up zero catches.  

3.  Dion Lewis:

Between the 20s, appears to be our best runner.   He makes guys miss and does a good job squeezing through tight creases.   Don't want to go back to those wheel routes of a couple years ago that seemed to never connect, but would like to see him used more in the screen game and an occasional wheel route shot.   Pass protection is still an issue, but he's been dynamic as a runner and while likely best in a committee approach, he's been gaining traction as our highest usage guy for the committee.  

HM:  Van Noy, Andrews, Thuney, Develin, Harmon, McCourty, Bademosi, Branch, A. Butler, Guy, Wise, Cooks, Gostkowski

DOWN:

1.  Nate Solder

Gave up 5 of the 7 pressure on Brady.  He was pretty good in the run game, but you need more consistency from your LT in pass protection.   Got to wonder how much his kid's chemo is effecting him.

2.  Patrick Chung

To be fair, he was put in a bad spot because of injuries to the corners, but he was asked to play more of the role of #3 CB and didn't do very well at it.   After a couple years of very impressive play, he's been much more up and down this season.   Could be worse from your safety going up against a WR corps as talented as the Falcons, but wasn't a strong showing, the Falcons repeatedly went after him.  

3.  Phillip Dorsett

Understandable that he's a bit buried behind Cooks, Hogan and Amendola, but for a guy I had hope could develop into a passable niche player / deep shot guy, he's become bench fodder.  Hogan was out for a bit and I was hoping he'd get a chance but nothing for it.  

HM:  Allen, Brown, Richards, Gilmore

Up:

Lewis - clearly the best player on either side of the ball

A.Butler - another good outing as a pass rusher 

M.Butler - looked like 2016 Butler

HM: Bademosi, McCourty, Harmon (all 3 were very solid if unspectacular), Burkhead (flashed a lot of ability in limited use)

The downs, other than Solder are nitpicks

Down:

Solder - another bad game

Gronkowski - sloppy penalties

Cannon - playing hurt or regressing  a bit

DHM:  Brady (oddly stupid decisions), Dorsett (another game he failed to contribute)

In defense of Dorsett, I think his acquisition was a "In case of emergency" measure. At the time of the trade Edelman was hurt, Hogan was limited, Mitchell was out and Amendola is always a play away from IR. Dorsett, if nothing else, is an experienced and physically talented 5/6th WR, who would be acceptable replacement level player if the awful WR injuries had carried on piling up.

1 hour ago, ChazStandard said:

In defense of Dorsett, I think his acquisition was a "In case of emergency" measure. At the time of the trade Edelman was hurt, Hogan was limited, Mitchell was out and Amendola is always a play away from IR. Dorsett, if nothing else, is an experienced and physically talented 5/6th WR, who would be acceptable replacement level player if the awful WR injuries had carried on piling up.

Trading Brissett for a "in case of emergency 5/6th WR" would be foolish though when literally dozens of those guys were available for free that same day, since it was cutdown day

Clearly, they see a high ceiling or significant amount of untapped upside there. They're not utilizing it so presumably he's not doing much in practice and/or not fitting the scheme. 

2 hours ago, mcmurtry86 said:

Trading Brissett for a "in case of emergency 5/6th WR" would be foolish though when literally dozens of those guys were available for free that same day, since it was cutdown day

Clearly, they see a high ceiling or significant amount of untapped upside there. They're not utilizing it so presumably he's not doing much in practice and/or not fitting the scheme. 

How are they supposed to utilizing be it though? There's only so many catches to go round, and Cooks/Hogan/Amendola/Gronkowski/White are all better and more familiar with the offense.

My point is there's only so much a low-on-the-depth-chart player can do, it's not like he's making bad plays when he does see the field, he's just not got many chances yet.

35 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

How are they supposed to utilizing be it though? There's only so many catches to go round, and Cooks/Hogan/Amendola/Gronkowski/White are all better and more familiar with the offense.

My point is there's only so much a low-on-the-depth-chart player can do, it's not like he's making bad plays when he does see the field, he's just not got many chances yet.

I think the point being made in contention is that why give up a promising back up QB for a guy you only see as a low on the depth chart player who you don't plan on using at all. I understand your in case of emergency argument, but the flip side of that is that if it was that kind of player that they wanted, why make a trade? Why not just sign a FA? Especially given the timing. 

They likely thought he would be a good fit and could carve out a role, but that hasnt happened. 

Fortunately Dorsett still has another year on his rookie deal, so even if he doesn't do much this year, hopefully he can put it together for next season.

Given that the Patriots have tried to give him reps and he's largely sucked though, I'm not very optimistic.

1 hour ago, ChazStandard said:

The All 22 tape makes him look pretty marginal. He's not getting looks because he doesn't get open, even matched up on scrub DBs.

Furthernore, there have been periods with guys out of the lineup and he hasn't stepped up. I'd also posit that if he were showing high end ability in practice, they'd find a way to use him more on gameday.

I'm not sure what they see in him. Maybe a move for 2018 more than this year, but I'd like to see him show something -anything- when given snaps

Archived