Eason vs Ehlinger

coffeedrinker

Kind of surprised there is not already a thread about this.  Quite frankly, I went into the came expecting to be disappointed by both.  Instead both impressed me.

Eason 15/21 183 yards 0 TDs 0 INTs 1 fumble lost 3 sacks for 28 yards lost 1 carry for 2 yards

Stat break down 15/21 for 183 yards is respectable.  That is 12.2 yards per completion (anything over 11.5 is good) and 8.71 yards per attempt (anything of 7.75 is considered good) the lost fumble and 3 sacks are discussed in the "kind of bad" section  

The really bad.  The sack on 4th down was really bad.  As a QB you have to see that pre snap and even if you don't, it was a roll out.  Throw the ball away.  There was no reason for that sack to happen

The kind of bad - Pocket feel.  The left side of the line was bad while Eason played but even with that he seemed to have no feel for where players were around him.  While I don't consider the strip/sack Eason's fault, what was his fault was he just stood there because he had no idea a player was closing in on him.  All the good and great QBs seem to have that feel in the pocket to know when some  is getting close and they move or tuck the ball (so it doesn't get stripped), etc.  Something to watch over the next couple of games.  The other kind of bad thing is the velocity on some of the 5-8 yard throws.... I'm sure the coaches are telling him, not every ball needs to be a 90 mph fast ball.

The good.  His arm and ball placement were excellent; some will point to this throw that was high or that throw that was behind... yeah but there has never been a qb that has placed every throw perfectly, so I don't expect it from a 1st year player in his first NFL game ever.  His deep pass to Campbell was a thing of beauty but we knew he had an arm, what I was most impressed with were the 8-12 yard out throws.  Those are the throws that keep the chains moving and he was near perfect on those throws.  Lastly the 2 minute drive.  Starting off with a 32 pass is exactly what is needed, after that he just ran the offense like a vet.  Very well done, ended in a TD cannot do anything more.

Ehlinger 10/15 155 yard 0 TDs/1 INT 0 sacks 8 carries for 30 yards

Stat Break down 15.5 yards per completion and 10 yards per attempt, both are excellent.  The 8 carries for 30 yards is good and I will discuss more below.

The Really bad - His INT, he looked like a rookie 6th round pick on that play... he stared down the receiver, then double clutched and then threw to that receiver anyways.  A high schooler could have read and INT that pass.

The kind of bad. His arm strength it is just mediocre.  He has nice touch but those 8-12 yard outs on the wide side of the field will be an issue.  In addition, there were several throws that looked good in the game but would have been PDs or INTs had he been playing against starters.

The good.  His awareness in the pocket is really good not only the feel (that Eason lacked) but when he made the decision to run or throw it was the correct decision.  His touch on his passes was very good and he is fearless on his throws.

Overall I came away impressed with both  They both bring something a little different to the table.  If I were to pick a starter based on today's game, I would say Eason played better overall and gives the Colts a better chance of winning week one.  It will be interesting to see what Reich and team do next week though.

• Like 1

Very nice breakdown. I think this game was what was needed to really spark that debate about the 2 because we finally got to see both in action against real NFL talent. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don’t have NFL Network nor do I live in the Indy market so all I’ve seen from today’s game were highlight videos

- NFL app highlights video

- Colts Twitter account videos 

- For The Colture video of every Eason pass attempt 

- Video of Ehlinger’s passes to Strachan, Vaughn and Green, and his 2 pt conv run and :sigh: INT

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thus far all we’ve seen/heard was second hand observations from practice and an occasional video. This game basically confirmed what we knew of them as college QBs; Eason the strong armed QB pocket passer; Ehlinger the more mobile, better poised QB. But both looked like they belonged on the field. Are they ready to take us to the playoffs? Doubt it. But we can see the potential that the scouts saw. Why Ed Dodds said Ehlinger was “one of our guys”, why Ballard (or was it Reich?) said “he just has it”.

Ballard can’t try to hide Ehlinger on the practice squad. We are carrying all 3 QBs on this roster for 18 weeks (or more). Maybe if Wentz fails we see one of these 2 become the heir apparent. Or one is a career backup for the next franchise QB. 

• Like 1

I won't go into a complete breakdown of each on this one.  I will say this.  I was impressed with the way Ehlinger responded after the INT.  He could have got frustrated but he didn't, he came back after the INT and lead the colts on a long drive that ended in a FG.

I was disappointed in Eason in the 2nd quarter.  He seemed to not scan the field just threw it as hard as he good to a receiver between the hash marks.

Based on the Minnesota game if Went cannnot go, I think Ehlinger has the upper hand to be the starter.

On 8/24/2021 at 9:37 AM, Warhorse said:

I see things in Sam's game that are legit. That said, he does not have an NFL caliber arm. Jacob has it, but we dont know if he can achieve the mental side of the game. 

All true.  For a backup that may only be needed for a game or two, I think I would pick the guy with the weak arm over the guy with a weak head.  LOL, I don't really think Eason has a weak head but yes, I don't know if he has the head for the NFL.  After the first game I was about to change my mind on that because he looked so good in his decision making.  We will see what happens in the last game.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...