Pre-Season Rookie Review

NickButera

Some updated 'keep your eye out' news:

Calhoon has put on 20 lbs, approved by the coaching staff. 

RB Elijah Hood turned heads at rookie mini camp per peter king

WR Jayden Mickens has been making plays all rookie mincamp as well

OT David Sharpe, 6'6 343lbs "flashed a lot of athleticism." Scary to think about a man that size that can move well. 

1 hour ago, NickButera said:

Some updated 'keep your eye out' news:

Calhoon has put on 20 lbs, approved by the coaching staff. 

RB Elijah Hood turned heads at rookie mini camp per peter king

WR Jayden Mickens has been making plays all rookie mincamp as well

OT David Sharpe, 6'6 343lbs "flashed a lot of athleticism." Scary to think about a man that size that can move well. 

None of that is super surprising. Especially Calhoun. Dude looked like a fish out of water all last season playing off the edge

Good to hear on Calhoun, bulk him up and let him play moving forward to the QB. He's not an off ball LB. 

Excited for Hood as well, hope we can stash him on the PS to begin the season unless he can play ST and push Jones out, but we lost a lot on ST so we may need Jones there. 

Mickens is interesting, if he can be a threat from the slot he would just bring something thag Roberts cannot from that spot. An offense with him, CP, Coop, Richard, and Cook is a lot of speed. 

• 3 weeks later...

I think we should maybe update this after the various pre-season games. The main take-aways for me after training camp and the first game are:

Gareon Conley - Impossible to know right now and disappointing that he hasn't see any real action at all due to injury. It's a steep learning curve to NFL CB and it look slike the earliest he'll be able to realistically contribute is mid season.

Obi Melifonwu - Another disappointing situation, though he is getting some light work now. Hope to see him in some game action soon as we really can't judge.

Eddie Vanderdoes - Looks like a potential steal from first impressions at camp. Was pretty solid in actual game action and I thought didn't look out of place, showed nice spin move on the Cards first TD but couldn't quote get there in time and was pretty solid against the run too, holding his PoA well. This young man looks very promising.

David Sharpe - I haven't heard much at all about him apart from Mike Tice saying he's practicing both sides and I honestly didn't really notice him during the game. He should really be ahead of the likes of Ware difficult to know if the expectations for him are as a backup LT or competing for the RT job.

Marquel Lee - A little surprised to see him running with the 1s in training camp but that may be a good sign. Didn't look overawed or out of place in the game but obviously thing to work on. Have to say, I was pleasantly surprised and hopefully he can polish his coverage skills. Promising.

Shalom Luani - Absolutely love this young player, another late round gem by the seems of it and leaves his all on the field. May not be a starter but he'll be depth and a special teams ace this year more than likely.

Jylan Ware - Haven't heard a lot about him and really didn't notice him at all against the Cards - which could be a good sign. On reflection he held up reasonably well and looks like he could be at the very least practice squad material.

Elijah Hood - Another player I've heard little about and didn't get any time in the first PS game to show anything of note. Crockett seems to have surpassed him so far.

Treyvon Hester - Seemed to be doing pretty well in TC and had a few positives written about him. Got a couple splash plays in the PS game but we seem to have some stiff competition now with MEJ, Ward, Vanderdoes, Autry and Ellis all certain to make the team and Latham a probable.

I really haven't seen enough of the UDFA rookies apart from Borders who seems to be another steal and at the very least a depth guy and Paul Boyette seemed to get a little pressure up the middle once or twice but haven't heard anything about him at all in TC.

3 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Elijah Hood - Another player I've heard little about and didn't get any time in the first PS game to show anything of note. Crockett seems to have surpassed him so far.

Nice write up Darbsk. I agree with most points. Fwiw, Hood was apparently held out of the game because he wasn't 100%. He is playing tomorrow though so keep an eye out for him.

Archived