Marcus Smart signs extension with Boston

sdrawkcab321

On 8/17/2021 at 1:09 AM, beekay414 said:

Smart is an integral piece to that team. Well worth the money.

Interesting move because this move puts them right at the cap line, assuming Horford's contract falls to the non-guaranteed price point. They could still potential acquire Brad Beal via S&T but that's looking a lot less likely now. Will be interesting to see how the Celtics retool their roster around Tatum/Brown/Smart. 

On 8/17/2021 at 8:36 AM, MookieMonstah said:

Over 60 NBA players (I believe) are making more per year than Marcus Smart. I don't see how this is a bad deal. 

I don't think it's necessarily that they think it's a bad deal in the sense that it's toxic.  I think it's viewed as a bad deal in the sense that he get overpaid.

8 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Interesting move because this move puts them right at the cap line, assuming Horford's contract falls to the non-guaranteed price point. They could still potential acquire Brad Beal via S&T but that's looking a lot less likely now. Will be interesting to see how the Celtics retool their roster around Tatum/Brown/Smart. 

They were already going to be short even if they managed to clear everyone off the books aside from Tatum and Brown short of them having some huge cap spike.

7 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

Do you think there are 60 players in the league more valuable than Marcus Smart?

According to VORP, Smart was the 152nd best player.  According to WS, Smart was 133th.  According to real plus minus, Smart was 81st.  Yeah...I don't think he's a top 60 player.  He's an absolutely elite role player, but he's not a star.

33 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

According to VORP, Smart was the 152nd best player.  According to WS, Smart was 133th.  According to real plus minus, Smart was 81st.  Yeah...I don't think he's a top 60 player.  He's an absolutely elite role player, but he's not a star.

He is coming off a bad year for sure. Does the league have 60 stars…? The Celtics didn’t pay him like a star. He’s what, the 65th highest paid player? That seems about right if he can be who he was two years ago. 

1 minute ago, MookieMonstah said:

He is coming off a bad year for sure. Does the league have 60 stars…? The Celtics didn’t pay him like a star. He’s what, the 65th highest paid player? That seems about right if he can be who he was two years ago. 

His numbers actually aren't that bad.  It just appears he took a step back defensively.  I don't hate the deal, but it's also one of those deals based on context.  For a team like Boston, that deal isn't that prohibitive.  But if it were a team like Charlotte, I'd hate the deal.  Maybe a slight overpay, but worth getting the deal done instead of risking him walking as a FA.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

They were already going to be short even if they managed to clear everyone off the books aside from Tatum and Brown short of them having some huge cap spike.

A potential S&T for Beal with the Celtics sending back Smart and a few of their young players could potentially work though, correct? 

IIRC Beal will be eligible for a 5 yr/$235M deal with Washington next off-season with a $40.5M cap hit in year 1. 

According to Shams the salary cap is expected to rise up to $119M for the 2022-2023 season. 

So a potential S&T deal like this could potentially work financially: 

Celtics receive: Brad Beal ($40.5M) 

Wizards receive: Marcus Smart ($17.2M), Al Horford ($14.5M), Payton Pritchard ($2.2M), Draft Capital 

In a move like this the Celtics would be sitting at $112.4M in salary so they'd sitting at $3.7M under the cap if it does actually increase to $119M as projected. 

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, DoleINGout said:

@NYRaiderI'd like Karl Anthony Towns. Give up Jaylen and Smart as the main chips and get KAT. Probably throw Rob Williams and Malik Beasley into the deal.

Needs to be the center piece in a Brad Beal deal. 

Wizards receive: Marcus Smart, Robert Williams, Aaron Nesmith, Josh Richardson 

Celtics receive: Brad Beal

3 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

? I don't want Beal and I take it the Celtics aren't that interested either.

You'd rather have stat padding KAT who plays zero defense and plays losing basketball? Over Jayson Tatum's childhood best friend that has put up prime Michael Jordan level scoring numbers over the last two seasons on great efficiency?