Around the League 2022

Bobby816

3 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

Ruggs was in court today for DUI with death involved. They estimated his speed driving a corvette was about 156 MPH. The judge said he had never seen anyone in his time on the bench going that fast before. He was released from the Raiders and is a FA who can sign with anyone. I highly doubt anyone takes a chance with him. He was also charged with having an illegal firearm in the car. This story is just sad all around. 

Was the firearm illegal?  The article I read did not mention it. In my state, I believe, if your under the influence and driving with a firearm in the vehicle, it is an added charge.   I definitely know you will lose your CCW license. Regardless, a person died because of him.

I’ll never understand why football players, or anyone, takes that chance.  With all the options of getting a ride that teams provide, it just seems really foolish.

And why does it always seem like the drunk driver walks away with minimal injuries when others are seriously injured. A good physics and bio-physics analysis project. 

2 hours ago, xrade said:

Was the firearm illegal?  The article I read did not mention it. In my state, I believe, if your under the influence and driving with a firearm in the vehicle, it is an added charge.   I definitely know you will lose your CCW license. Regardless, a person died because of him.

I’ll never understand why football players, or anyone, takes that chance.  With all the options of getting a ride that teams provide, it just seems really foolish.

And why does it always seem like the drunk driver walks away with minimal injuries when others are seriously injured. A good physics and bio-physics analysis project. 

No medical person… but I believe the science behind it is normally the drunk person is so “loose” that’s they don’t tense up. A sober person seeing it happen, is obviously going to tense up and maybe make an injury worse Bc they’re almost resisting what’s bound to happen. A sober person even if they don’t see it is more prone to whiplash as well I’d assume being more stiff. Where a drunk person is just kind of a wet noodle.

But there’s no excuse for this athlete or not. Anyone with more than a few drinks in them these days shouldn’t be driving with all the ways to get around. Athletes obviously don’t have to worry about the money aspect of it as well as the team provides a service if you can’t drive. So there’s no excuse for drunk driving nowadays period.

Just all around sad. When I was 20 which is 23 years ago I got an OUI. I was so made at the cops and everything but today I look back and that was my turning point not to drink and drive. Once I have 3 or more beers I get a ride. I'm just glad I never killed or got in a wreck. I learned my lesson all those years ago. Then again I was not going 156 MPH which to me is insane. 

• Like 2

Honestly, there are so many examples and stories on why you shouldn't drink and drive, it's hard for me to feel bad for him. Especially being drunk enough to speed like that. The only thing I hope for is that others use this story as a reminder during this holiday season. He hit her and had to watch her burn to death. If that doesn't stop others from drinking and driving, I don't know what will. 

People make mistakes, but this is something that is warned years before you start driving. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

Just all around sad. When I was 20 which is 23 years ago I got an OUI. I was so made at the cops and everything but today I look back and that was my turning point not to drink and drive. Once I have 3 or more beers I get a ride. I'm just glad I never killed or got in a wreck. I learned my lesson all those years ago. Then again I was not going 156 MPH which to me is insane. 

Many of us have made similar mistakes.  We are human and when we are young we typically have more balls than brains.  Aging grants us wisdom.

1 hour ago, Dr.O said:

“Namath 3:16 says we just scored on your a**.” - Blanco 3:16

(Exodus 14:21) reads as follows: “Then Mike White stretched out his hand over the defense, and he drove down field.”

Edited by rickyt31
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

Just wanted to chime in here. I also got a DUI, 12 years ago. Blew a .08 after falling asleep behind the wheel and crashing I to a pole. It's weird because I've always looked at it as a lucky moment. I could have killed someone or been killed because I was being stupid. At that time in my life I was going out drinking almost every weekend, including binge drinking at house parties where I would black out. That moment was a lesson I needed. It forced me to evaluate the path I was on. I was humiliated, embarrassed and yet thankful. 

It's incredibly sad that people have to learn this lesson that hard way, and even more sad when they aren't as lucky as I was. If I had had a passenger in the car, they would have died, as a piece of metal pierced my passenger seat. 

I know this topic isn't football related, but you were brave enough to share an embarrassing story and I wanted to let you know you aren't alone.