Jump to content

Around the League 2021


Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

Ben Mason Ben Mason Ben Mason Ben Mason Ben Mason Ben Mason Ben Mason Ben Mason Ben Mason Ben Mason Ben Mason Ben Mason Ben Mason Ben Mason Ben Mason Ben Mason Ben Mason Ben Mason Ben Mason Ben Mason Ben Mason Ben Mason Ben Mason Ben Mason Ben Mason Ben Mason Ben Mason Ben Mason Ben Mason Ben Mason Ben Mason Ben Mason 

Tomorrow.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

There were 108 passes in the Dallas, Tamp Bay, game, that is insane. Like I said a year ago this is all on the large TV networks. The networks went to the NFL, and told them they want more scoring. So what did the NFL do over the last fifteen years change rules, and all the rules favor the offensive and the passing game. THIS IS A FACT. They have turn the NFL into ARENA FOOTBALL. They made the average CB's look like fools.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

There were 108 passes in the Dallas, Tamp Bay, game, that is insane. Like I said a year ago this is all on the large TV networks. The networks went to the NFL, and told them they want more scoring. So what did the NFL do over the last fifteen years change rules, and all the rules favor the offensive and the passing game. THIS IS A FACT. They have turn the NFL into ARENA FOOTBALL. They made the average CB's look like fools.

Exactly and it's about time we get with the times.  Keep building the OL, bring in a weapon at TE and keep building this offense to be scary

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Exactly and it's about time we get with the times.  Keep building the OL, bring in a weapon at TE and keep building this offense to be scary

Agreed. We can’t as fans complain anymore Bc JD in 2 drafts has invested heavily in the offense.

Becton, Mims, Wilson, AVT, Moore, Carter via draft and guys like Davis, Cole, Kroft, Moses, Coleman in FA.

 

And you better believe with a lot of picks next draft more will be spent on offense. Especially continuing to build the OL

Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely. 

The rules benefits better offenses but it also raised the need to invest in defensive players. Because of the rules, if you don't have defensive players that can challenge, a solid offense is putting up 35+ with ease. Dak completed 72% of his passes, 400+yds, and 3tds but lost because the defense gave up more points. It reminded me of the years when Brees would break records but miss the playoffs because the defense allowed more points. Rams went into the SB with a good offense and NE held them to 3 points. 

It's going to take balance building. Long term, JD is doing things correctly right now. He's bringing in a offensive system and talent to help insure Wilson has what he needs to grow unlike the others we had. He's going to keep adding talent on offense, but he has also left space to add a lot on defense next offseason. If Carter & Mims workout this season, our real needs on offense going into next offseason will likely be C, RG, and TE. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

Definitely. 

The rules benefits better offenses but it also raised the need to invest in defensive players. Because of the rules, if you don't have defensive players that can challenge, a solid offense is putting up 35+ with ease. Dak completed 72% of his passes, 400+yds, and 3tds but lost because the defense gave up more points. It reminded me of the years when Brees would break records but miss the playoffs because the defense allowed more points. Rams went into the SB with a good offense and NE held them to 3 points. 

It's going to take balance building. Long term, JD is doing things correctly right now. He's bringing in a offensive system and talent to help insure Wilson has what he needs to grow unlike the others we had. He's going to keep adding talent on offense, but he has also left space to add a lot on defense next offseason. If Carter & Mims workout this season, our real needs on offense going into next offseason will likely be C, RG, and TE. 

 

Good post Rick, I am su.re the Jets front office is in the  process of doing just what you are saying. Besides the QB's  position the TE position has benefiited from the new rules big time these top TE are running over the middle and creating a nightmare matchup for any DB's & safeties who are 2/3 the size of a TE, years ago if you went over the middle before the new five yard rule theses players would have their head taken off by guys like **** Butkus, Willie Lanier, Jack Lambert, Chuck Bednank, & Ray Nitschke. Whether any body wants to believe it or not the TE position is a part part of the new offensive in the NFL, and right now we have no one to fill that position.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

Good post Rick, I am su.re the Jets front office is in the  process of doing just what you are saying. Besides the QB's  position the TE position has benefiited from the new rules big time these top TE are running over the middle and creating a nightmare matchup for any DB's & safeties who are 2/3 the size of a TE, years ago if you went over the middle before the new five yard rule theses players would have their head taken off by guys like **** Butkus, Willie Lanier, Jack Lambert, Chuck Bednank, & Ray Nitschke. Whether any body wants to believe it or not the TE position is a part part of the new offensive in the NFL, and right now we have no one to fill that position.

I agree 100%. 

The top TE's are 260lbs and athletic. That's tough for these 230lbs LBs and safeties in some of these schemes after the TE get the ball in their hands. We watched Cam Newton make it to the SB with a good defense and his only consistent weapon on offense being Greg Olsen. His WRs were Philly Brown and Ted Ginn lol. I'm expecting us to look into the next draft class or trade for someone since it's unlikely we're keeping all these picks. 

For defense, Nas is a great development player. It's all about when he'll be ready. 6'3 and just needs more weight. Great for matching up against these TEs if he is the right one. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

I agree 100%. 

The top TE's are 260lbs and athletic. That's tough for these 230lbs LBs and safeties in some of these schemes after the TE get the ball in their hands. We watched Cam Newton make it to the SB with a good defense and his only consistent weapon on offense being Greg Olsen. His WRs were Philly Brown and Ted Ginn lol. I'm expecting us to look into the next draft class or trade for someone since it's unlikely we're keeping all these picks. 

For defense, Nas is a great development player. It's all about when he'll be ready. 6'3 and just needs more weight. Great for matching up against these TEs if he is the right one. 

The problem with college TE’s is that they are so hit or miss when they get to the NFL. You mention Olsen. Would you consider him a great TE?  He was good by not like FRP worthy. Outside of a prospect like Pitts, it is tough to find one.  It really is one of those positions that you need to define what you are looking for in the scheme you want to run then coach the crap of him.  Also, do the Jets think TE is a FRP position pick?  I think they view them like RB’s.  What are you looking for and get one later.

So far, I don’t see any “Pitts” this year.  The kid from ND looked good. Not sure if he is even draft eligible. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, xrade said:

The problem with college TE’s is that they are so hit or miss when they get to the NFL. You mention Olsen. Would you consider him a great TE?  He was good by not like FRP worthy. Outside of a prospect like Pitts, it is tough to find one.  It really is one of those positions that you need to define what you are looking for in the scheme you want to run then coach the crap of him.  Also, do the Jets think TE is a FRP position pick?  I think they view them like RB’s.  What are you looking for and get one later.

So far, I don’t see any “Pitts” this year.  The kid from ND looked good. Not sure if he is even draft eligible. 

As for Olsen, he was the only consistent target. Was he elite, no. But he was a target that forced defenses to focus on him and open things up for everyone else. They beat Brees twice, Rodgers, Wilson, Eli Manning, and other lead offenses that year. Through the regular season, a WR hit 100yds 5 times, Olsen was 3 of them. For rushing, they had a 100yd rusher in a game 3 times including the playoffs that. So in terms of threats to target, the only player defenses had to take serious was Olsen. Just having a good TE makes it tough for LBs in play action. If the Lbs can't cover, the safeties have to step in. Huge game changer in play action. So TE's like Olsen are important. 

Would I draft a TE in the first? It depends on the player. I do agree people often view TE and RB in the same boat, but there are a lot of teams who have followed that and still need a RB. We've had one 1k rusher out of the last 10 years. Last season, there was only 2 TEs that were in the top-50 in receiving yards. They are not as easy to find either. It really depends on the player we're looking at. If it's someone on Kyle Pitts level, definitely. I already know a TE I would want in 2023 if we still need one. We can wait until the 2nd or 3rd to pick up a TE. 

It's just a huge difference maker when you have a TE defenses have to take seriously. Look at the Chiefs. Outside of Mahomes, the X-factor is Kelce. If you don't have the LBs that can contain him, your safeties have to help. If they have to help, no one is over the top for Hill and Hardman. Their RB can walk into the endzone now. If we were to add a TE that can open up things for Davis, Mims, and Moore, we would eat teams up. So I want one early in next year's class if the talent beats out the other needs we have. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rickyt31 said:

We can wait until the 2nd or 3rd to pick up a TE. 

Actually that may still be too high. I agree it depends on the player but the last player like Pitts to enter the draft that had that much upside as a receiving threat was Vernon Davis?  He did not work out so well. About the only FRP TE I can honestly say was worth his draft status was maybe Eiffert?  My point is that as important a position it is in some schemes, they are difficult to find. Spending a high pick on such a crap shoot when there are other needs with prospects that play positions that translate better to the NFL (except QB, that is a whole different debate).

Kelce rd 3, Kittles rd. 4, Waller rd. 6. In a few years when we are a consistent playoff team with few holes, yeah, spend that high pick.

By the way, who are you referring to in 2023?

Edited by xrade
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...