Around the League 2021

I thought Jamal was arguably the best defensive player in football after 2019 — will happily eat crow here.

Maybe I was subjective at the time, but he was never this bad in man coverage. Left over the top? Sure, but not the liability he’s become one-on-one. Credit to KONY for calling out the scheme misfit in Seattle from the jump. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

I thought Jamal was arguably the best defensive player in football after 2019 — will happily eat crow here.

Maybe I was subjective at the time, but he was never this bad in man coverage. Left over the top? Sure, but not the liability he’s become one-on-one. Credit to KONY for calling out the scheme misfit in Seattle from the jump. 

Adams can’t play going backwards, downhill he’s still a beast but that’s not what Carroll needs from him. 

He was perfect for Gregg Williams.  Pretty much was able to do whatever he wanted and fly all over the field.  Definitely not the same player or usage in Seattle.  Big win on that trade and I will also gladly eat crow.  

• Like 2

I still generally hate the idea of trading away our best home-grown talent, but I can just understand it in this case because of the distraction he had become and the massive haul we were able to get.

Thing is, he was an all-pro. That does not happen by accident in the NFL. And he wasn't only good (great) at blitzing, he did a good job in man coverage on TEs here too. The Seahawks need to hire Gregggg. They've extended Adams and if they don't learn to actually use him properly then they've just committed a large amount of cash and two first round picks to what they could've picked up with a fourth round pick sometime.

22 minutes ago, TheChad said:

I still generally hate the idea of trading away our best home-grown talent, but I can just understand it in this case because of the distraction he had become and the massive haul we were able to get.

Thing is, he was an all-pro. That does not happen by accident in the NFL. And he wasn't only good (great) at blitzing, he did a good job in man coverage on TEs here too. The Seahawks need to hire Gregggg. They've extended Adams and if they don't learn to actually use him properly then they've just committed a large amount of cash and two first round picks to what they could've picked up with a fourth round pick sometime.

Understand what you’re saying. But you certainly don’t hire a certain DC and change a scheme for 1 player on defense.

For sure, a bit of hyperbole. But after trading two firsts-plus for him, and signing him to an extension with I believe $38 million guaranteed, they absolutely need to figure out how to use him as well as we did. That's a lot of dead-weight to carry otherwise, on a defense that isn't great even with him playing well.

2 hours ago, TheChad said:

For sure, a bit of hyperbole. But after trading two firsts-plus for him, and signing him to an extension with I believe $38 million guaranteed, they absolutely need to figure out how to use him as well as we did. That's a lot of dead-weight to carry otherwise, on a defense that isn't great even with him playing well.

Could it also be that now that he got paid he is dogging it?  It was always all about the money for him.  The league is littered with guys just like him. This is why it is important to really know the player you want to extend. It is not always about the talent but also about the drive to want to continue to excel. Wilkerson comes to mind for me.

10 minutes ago, xrade said:

Could it also be that now that he got paid he is dogging it?  It was always all about the money for him.  The league is littered with guys just like him. This is why it is important to really know the player you want to extend. It is not always about the talent but also about the drive to want to continue to excel. Wilkerson comes to mind for me.

His father George Adam’s suffered a similar injury to Bo Jackson that ended his career. He’s got to be considering self preservation a little bit more after getting paid. Maybe more so when you see the talent in the division and watched Wilson go down. 

You could point to scheme fit, self preservation, or missing TC. In any case it’s unfortunate cause he was so fun to watch. That Giants game was one of the most dominant individual performances by a player. 

JD looks like a genius for the trade. Hopefully we can turn Seattle’s pick into another corner stone.

2 hours ago, Sapo28 said:

His father George Adam’s suffered a similar injury to Bo Jackson that ended his career. He’s got to be considering self preservation a little bit more after getting paid. Maybe more so when you see the talent in the division and watched Wilson go down. 

You could point to scheme fit, self preservation, or missing TC. In any case it’s unfortunate cause he was so fun to watch. That Giants game was one of the most dominant individual performances by a player. 

JD looks like a genius for the trade. Hopefully we can turn Seattle’s pick into another corner stone.

No he does not. He needs to actually make the picks matter and not waste them away like the majority of his 2020 draft. Big 12 months coming up for JD IMO. He needs to show he can build a winning team as all the high picks in the world means balls all if we don’t start to actually win games 

16 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Understand what you’re saying. But you certainly don’t hire a certain DC and change a scheme for 1 player on defense.

Theoretically I agree, especially when you consider how underwhelming Adam's has been  -- that said, given the investment Seattle made, coupled with the fact that his defense is on pace to be historically bad.. what's to lose? Jamal carried a talentless defense to a top 10 finish in 2019. I get your point, it's organizational malfeasance & certainly not how you build sustainable success. However, you can't convince me the defense & team wouldn't be better off at this point. 

I don't envy Carroll here, but think he needs to swallow his pride if the goal is to maximize Russ' window.

17 hours ago, TheChad said:

Gregg Williams wasn't that great either, his schemes constantly plays guys super far back when they shouldn't be.   He just blitzed Adams a lot, but Adams last season with the Seahawks had 9.5 sacks. 

To me, Adams looks more stiff in coverage than he used to. He probably would be a better fit as a WLB.  Adams is super cocky and annoying, hes not a guy i am rooting for. His attitude is annoying, entitled.  Like Marcus Maye deserved an extension but he is much more humble than Adams ever was, and Maye is arguable a better overall safety. 

Edited by NYJets4716
4 hours ago, xrade said:

Back then I wanted to extend Damon Harrison over Wilkerson, my argument was that we had Sheldon Richardson and Leonard Williams at the time. I felt like Damon Harrison was something we didn't have, he was a monster in the middle. 350+ man who would stuff the middle and open guys up.  Harrison ended up continuing to be a stud elsewhere and Wilkerson became a drunk and did nothing for us.  Harrison had a very nice careeer for a UDFA guy, was a nice find by the Jets.  

The guy we might let go is Foley now, and hes an absolute stud. Stud run defender. 

I get nervous with the Jets extending guys because we seem to always get screwed. But I am hoping JFM ends up continuing to ascend and lives up. The film is impressive, he has heavy hands and just seems super powerful and bullies guys. Then inside he is super quick and blows right past guys. Hes like a Cameron Jordan type. 

Man I wish I could see how this DL would have been with Carl Lawson. 

Edited by NYJets4716
6 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

Back then I wanted to extend Damon Harrison over Wilkerson

I loved Snacks. The problem is that it is difficult to justify spending a lot on a two down lineman vs a sack getting DE.

18 hours ago, NJC33 said:

Theoretically I agree, especially when you consider how underwhelming Adam's has been  -- that said, given the investment Seattle made, coupled with the fact that his defense is on pace to be historically bad.. what's to lose? Jamal carried a talentless defense to a top 10 finish in 2019. I get your point, it's organizational malfeasance & certainly not how you build sustainable success. However, you can't convince me the defense & team wouldn't be better off at this point. 

I don't envy Carroll here, but think he needs to swallow his pride if the goal is to maximize Russ' window.

It’d be better served to ask him to gain 10lb and play LB.