Around the League 2022

Bobby816

2 hours ago, xrade said:

Actually that may still be too high. I agree it depends on the player but the last player like Pitts to enter the draft that had that much upside as a receiving threat was Vernon Davis?  He did not work out so well. About the only FRP TE I can honestly say was worth his draft status was maybe Eiffert?  My point is that as important a position it is in some schemes, they are difficult to find. Spending a high pick on such a crap shoot when there are other needs with prospects that play positions that translate better to the NFL (except QB, that is a whole different debate).

Kelce rd 3, Kittles rd. 4, Waller rd. 6. In a few years when we are a consistent playoff team with few holes, yeah, spend that high pick.

By the way, who are you referring to in 2023?

To be real, all of the positions are a crap shoot. There is a long list of busted LT's and DT's when they were considered the "safe picks". Gronk, Kelce, Hockenson, Gesicki, Andrews, Fant, and others were drafted in the top-3 rounds. If the talent is there, I'm picking them. Same with RBs. Henry, Chubb, CMC, and Cook were picked in the top-2 rounds. The offenses are built through them. 

Unless the class depth is there, we shouldn't act like we take any late round pick and think we can recreate Kittle or Waller. That's two out of the 32 starting TEs in the league. Again, this all depends if the talent is there but I do like what I'm seeing from this class so far. Some new names are popping up. 

2023, I like Darnell Washington if UGA can find a decent QB. He was open a lot. There is a tape on youtube that shows all his pass attempts and how bad they were. He's 6'7 268lbs and the QB was missing him. lol Horrible to watch. He was a 5 star recruit as well. 

I watched a bunch of the 40 minute versions of games on Gamepass (they show every play one after another, cutting out the gaps in between) and a few thoughts.

On the rookie QBS:

• Mac Jones was as advertised. He's safe and limits mistakes and McDaniels did a nice job easing him into things. I'm pretty sure about 75% of his throws were short-intermediate throws to his first read as soon his back foot landed. Credit to McD. But Mac never really looked like he was going to make much happen on his own.
  • Lawrence was similar to our own Wilson. Had some great throws, and some terrible turnovers / turnover-worthy plays. Looked good from the pocket but he threw a couple of passes straight to the other team.
  • Wilson almost never had an actual pocket to throw out of, but looked fine when he did. Had a couple of nice plays outside of the pocket and looked like the best of the bunch there. We had a few drops.

No great surprises in any of that.

Other thoughts:

• Matt Stafford looked great in McVay's offense. I'm really happy for him finally getting a real postseason shot after a lot of bad teams in Detroit
  • Famous Jameis is on pace for 85 TDs!
  • We're lucky we don't play the Cardinals or I'm sure Chandler Jones would have about 10 sacks, particularly with Becton out. What a monster.
  • They couldn't quite finish, and the 1 play TD drive from Mahommes really felt like it crushed them, but the Browns look really, really good.
  • The Steelers' offense spent most of the game looking barely a step up from ours, but damn their D is good
  • I love Fitz as much as anyone, but I've seen Heinicke play in two games now and he looked worthy of a shot after both
  • I had Houston as a legit candidate for 0-17. I guess they really do have god on their side.
  • Biggest surprise of the week could be Jalen Hurts and the Eagles...
  • ... Except for Aaron Rodgers throwing for around 50% with 0TD and 2INT and a passer rating worse than just throwing the ball into the dirt every play. I guess all that offseason distraction can't be ignored

5 hours ago, TheChad said:

I watched a bunch of the 40 minute versions of games on Gamepass (they show every play one after another, cutting out the gaps in between) and a few thoughts.

On the rookie QBS:

• Mac Jones was as advertised. He's safe and limits mistakes and McDaniels did a nice job easing him into things. I'm pretty sure about 75% of his throws were short-intermediate throws to his first read as soon his back foot landed. Credit to McD. But Mac never really looked like he was going to make much happen on his own.

While it was much better in the 2nd half and they showed they made halftime adjustments, it was pissing me off they didn't give Zach any throws like that.  They basically hung him out to dry most of the game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Darnold is awful

Justin Herbert was the pick, he is just starting his second year, and he looks like he has been in the NFL ten years. For us it has been Sanchez, Darnold, and Wilson, and we still can't win a game. All three of those players were all top five first round picks. All I heard was that Wilson was ready to play in his first year that is far from the truth. Down the road the kid could be a fine QB, but he is not ready now.

Edited by doumeyer

I know the Titans ended up winning, but with 30 seconds left in the game, down 23-30, they scored a TD to get to 29-30. They chose to kick an XP and go to OT.

I don't get it. You have Derrick Henry. He's been completely unstoppable the entire second half. The defense is tired. Surely you like your chances of getting two yards (either with him, or with him as a decoy) more than you like the coin flip and OT situation.

Needless to say, I loved Harbaugh's fourth down call.

On 9/20/2021 at 10:18 AM, TheChad said:

I know the Titans ended up winning, but with 30 seconds left in the game, down 23-30, they scored a TD to get to 29-30. They chose to kick an XP and go to OT.

I don't get it. You have Derrick Henry. He's been completely unstoppable the entire second half. The defense is tired. Surely you like your chances of getting two yards (either with him, or with him as a decoy) more than you like the coin flip and OT situation.

Needless to say, I loved Harbaugh's fourth down call.

Teams will almost always take Ot over a 2pt play. The line exception might be against the Chiefs.