Around the League 2022

Bobby816

7 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

What's funny is that the 49ers is another team that didn't invest a lot of their 1st round picks in their oline. McGlinchey is the only one and he's on IR. 

I'm not saying we shouldn't, everyone else was signed and traded for. Exactly why we should just focus on getting the right players when we can and not over think where or how. 

I made a post last offseason (I'll have to dig) that all the top 10 OLs had FAs and mid-late rounds picks with one or two 1st-2nd rounders.

Quick glance...only team to have drafted entire OL is Dallas and they have two 1st rounders.  I don't think any other team in the PFF top 10 have two first rounders.  Colts also spent high draft picks but didn't grade out as well as us.

Edited by jetsfan4life51

2 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

I made a post last offseason (I'll have to dig) that all the top 10 OLs had FAs and mid-late rounds picks with one or two 1st-2nd rounders.

Yeah, Mac tried that. Now JD has to draft high OL in the draft or pay a premium for good OL in FA to protect our QB. Had Mac even spent one high pick on OL, we may have then been able to supplement with lower picks.

The point is that the Jets do not have the time to build an OL without spending premium resources.

3 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Yeah, I think I remember seeing something like that. I never felt like we had to use 1st round picks to develop the line. I think JD will make the right moves and not turn the whole line to first round picks.

1 minute ago, rickyt31 said:

Yeah, I think I remember seeing something like that. I never felt like we had to use 1st round picks to develop the line. I think JD will make the right moves and not turn the whole line to first round picks.

Obviously we need to hit on late round picks in general but it seems like good teams are drafting skill players higher and developing OL/hitting later.

2 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Obviously we need to hit on late round picks in general but it seems like good teams are drafting skill players higher and developing OL/hitting later.

Yeah, the development and scheme fit is key. If we started a season with the current 49ers oline on paper,  we would lose our minds but they are developed and prepared.  No matter what age they came in. I really believe Becton, AVT, McGovern, [New RG], and Fant or Moses is good enough.  We can draft someone to develop behind McGovern and RT, but we're not desperate for a young starter there.

Just now, rickyt31 said:

Yeah, the development and scheme fit is key. If we started a season with the current 49ers oline on paper,  we would lose our minds but they are developed and prepared.  No matter what age they came in. I really believe Becton, AVT, McGovern, [New RG], and Fant or Moses is good enough.  We can draft someone to develop behind McGovern and RT, but we're not desperate for a young starter there.

Agreed, but I do like Patterson because he can start at RG and take over at C when McGovern goes.

1 minute ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Agreed, but I do like Patterson because he can start at RG and take over at C when McGovern goes.

I like him as well. I really like Salyer in the draft but I really want to sign Daniels or Alex Bar to play RG. If we do something like that, we can invest our early picks in playmakers like pass rushers, WRs, and others. 

I'd love if something happens and Hutch or Thibs falls to us at 4. We are going to need to hope that some one falls in love with a QB for it to happen though. If both are gone, I'm on board with Hamilton. I want a ballhawk that can help generate turnovers. With our second first rounder, im hoping for either the best available WR or Linderbaum. 

Getting a TE in FA should also be a top priority. I'd be shocked if Dallas lets Schultz walk, and I have no clue how we would get him to select us over other, more capable teams but he would be great. Howard scares me in that I kinda feel like he is just Jace amaro or Dustin Keller on another team. Ertz would be a nice get too.

For pass rush, if we miss on Hutchinson and Thibs, we are going to really have to hope that Lawson comes back ok and take a flier on a high upside guy in round two or three.  We 

We also need to target some real linebackers. This plan of using Safeties as linebackers is going to lead us do getting mauled in the running game. We have to get some actual backers that actually play on the second level.

The LA Rams gave up four first round picks to get to the SB. My question, ( is it worth it?) If they win the SB who is going to care five years from now? WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN THIS OFF SEASON WITH WATSON?  will any team be willing to give up three first round picks to get him? After what the Rams did it just might happen.

2 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

I would throw Herbert into that mix also, Our guy I am not sure about yet.

Herbert looks like he’s right there too. But those 3 have shown the ability to perform and win in the playoffs.

We need Wilson to be a lot better than middle of the pack