Around the League 2022

Bobby816

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Not that I don’t agree… then who’s an example of a team we should model after that’s had success that doesn’t have a QB that’s a HOFer? Bc you can’t bank on having Brady, Rodgers, Manning, Big Ben, etc at QB.

I honestly don't think there should be a team we follow. We have to get talent where we can get them. We may set our own trend. There are plenty of teams that either built throught the draft or used trades/free agency. We often see a couple of good teams build a certain way and think we have to follow them. You can't copy & paste their moves and expect to beat them with it. 

Example; I'm not going to say we should draft a WR high because the bengals did it and I'm not going to continue to say we should trade for a WR because the Bills did it. It's all about where the talent is and if we can get them. If we see a new way to use weapons, then go for it. We may go for 2 good TEs and kill teams with 2-TE sets. We may add another great RB and create a 2 headed monster backfield. Lawrence Cager could develop into the next Waller. Who knows, so I don't care about following trends. 

As for the Allen/Burrow comment, expecting Wilson to make the leap because he didn't turn the ball over in a small stretch is pretty unrealistic. No matter who we add, we have to hope he at least becomes Tannehill first before we can set the bar that high. We're still not even sure if he's the best QB on the roster. He had a good stretch, but so did Geno, Darnold, and Sanchez. Adding talent around him will help, but I can't expect that big of a leap that soon. Allen went from 10tds/12ints to 20tds/9ints while rushing for 9tds. There aren't a lot of QBs who are good that started off with more INTs than TDs in recent years. Eli manning's leap feel a little more realistic until Wilson proves he is as good as the top QBs. 

40 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

I honestly don't think there should be a team we follow. We have to get talent where we can get them. We may set our own trend. There are plenty of teams that either built throught the draft or used trades/free agency. We often see a couple of good teams build a certain way and think we have to follow them. You can't copy & paste their moves and expect to beat them with it. 

Example; I'm not going to say we should draft a WR high because the bengals did it and I'm not going to continue to say we should trade for a WR because the Bills did it. It's all about where the talent is and if we can get them. If we see a new way to use weapons, then go for it. We may go for 2 good TEs and kill teams with 2-TE sets. We may add another great RB and create a 2 headed monster backfield. Lawrence Cager could develop into the next Waller. Who knows, so I don't care about following trends. 

As for the Allen/Burrow comment, expecting Wilson to make the leap because he didn't turn the ball over in a small stretch is pretty unrealistic. No matter who we add, we have to hope he at least becomes Tannehill first before we can set the bar that high. We're still not even sure if he's the best QB on the roster. He had a good stretch, but so did Geno, Darnold, and Sanchez. Adding talent around him will help, but I can't expect that big of a leap that soon. Allen went from 10tds/12ints to 20tds/9ints while rushing for 9tds. There aren't a lot of QBs who are good that started off with more INTs than TDs in recent years. Eli manning's leap feel a little more realistic until Wilson proves he is as good as the top QBs. 

Agreed. But I get bashed on here all the time for preaching help your QB. Because no one can name me a team that wins year in and year out without one. And it’s been pretty much proven that “most” franchise QBs need help to become a franchise QB. Once they’re a franchise QB and can be trusted, then weapons aren’t as much of a priority. We aren’t even close to that. So we need the weapons. And when I say weapons I mean OL, RB, WR and TE. Look at all the top teams in the nfl and they have talent in most those spots. CIN have Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Mixon but an awful OL. Stafford has Kupp, Woods, OBJ and Akers and a good OL. GB has Adams, Jones and a good OL. DAL has Cooper, Lamb, Schultz, Elliott and a good OL. KC has Kelce, Hill and a good OL. TB has Godwin, Evans, Gronk and a good OL. TEN has Henry, Brown, Julio and a good OL. SF has Kittle, Deebo, Aiyuk and a good OL.

So besides CIN every team that competes has an OL. So I get the notion of it’s not best to mimic them. And I’m always pro building the OL. But if you build the OL with no weapons. It’s pointless.

And it’s no secret JD values OL. We’ve spent 2/3 of our 1st rounder won them. So I expect that to continue to be a focus. JD has had 2 2nd rounders and has spent both on WRs as well as signing Corey Davis. I expect him to continue to try and give Wilson help. We also spent mid rounders on RBs in Perine and Carter. So that’s a focus as well.

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Agreed. But I get bashed on here all the time for preaching help your QB. Because no one can name me a team that wins year in and year out without one. And it’s been pretty much proven that “most” franchise QBs need help to become a franchise QB. Once they’re a franchise QB and can be trusted, then weapons aren’t as much of a priority. We aren’t even close to that. So we need the weapons. And when I say weapons I mean OL, RB, WR and TE. Look at all the top teams in the nfl and they have talent in most those spots. CIN have Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Mixon but an awful OL. Stafford has Kupp, Woods, OBJ and Akers and a good OL. GB has Adams, Jones and a good OL. DAL has Cooper, Lamb, Schultz, Elliott and a good OL. KC has Kelce, Hill and a good OL. TB has Godwin, Evans, Gronk and a good OL. TEN has Henry, Brown, Julio and a good OL. SF has Kittle, Deebo, Aiyuk and a good OL.

So besides CIN every team that competes has an OL. So I get the notion of it’s not best to mimic them. And I’m always pro building the OL. But if you build the OL with no weapons. It’s pointless.

And it’s no secret JD values OL. We’ve spent 2/3 of our 1st rounder won them. So I expect that to continue to be a focus. JD has had 2 2nd rounders and has spent both on WRs as well as signing Corey Davis. I expect him to continue to try and give Wilson help. We also spent mid rounders on RBs in Perine and Carter. So that’s a focus as well.

Definitely need talent there, it's just how we get the talent there and how we use everyone. The top teams you mentioned barely used their first round picks on their oline or even on their offenses at all, but they still got results and they are all built differently. , Kupp, Deebo, Hill, Aiyuk, Adams, Metcalf, Jefferson, AJ Brown, Godwin, and Woods can be looked at as proven examples why we don't have top draft a top WR in the top-10. But someone like Chase could make you believe we need the top WR off the board in order to find a playmaker. Pitts could make you think we need the top TE, but then you have guys like Kittle, Gronk, and Waller. Same goes for Oline. 

With that being said, we can't assume we can just get top talent in mid-late rounds like them. So if Someone like Burks does have star potential and we still need a WR, we go for him no matter how early. 

We can also look at teams like the harbough 49ers and Legion of Boom Seahawks to how differently they built their teams when they made the superbowl. We all can agree that Wilson needs talent around him, but I don't want to get caught into how we should build like the Bengals or any of the other teams. Just need to build and find talent where we can. Even if we rebuild our 2010 roster, we just need to focus on what's available and building our own team. 

2 hours ago, Dr.O said:

We should focus on building the Jets not building the 49er/Ravens East

We are, I’m saying approach wise it’s going to be a mixture of what those teams do. It’s a blueprint we as fans can look to and as we get closer we’ll know when it’s time to compete.

17 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

We are, I’m saying approach wise it’s going to be a mixture of what those teams do. It’s a blueprint we as fans can look to and as we get closer we’ll know when it’s time to compete.

Well if we read between the lines in what JD and Saleh seem to be on the same page about and that they seem to always mention when "players" are brought up. Is the LOS and helping Wilson. So I think we continue to build the OL, Get a DE and get Wilson weapons. I by no means think that's all we do. But I think that's where we spend a chunk of our valuable assets via $ and Draft. 

22 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

Lawrence Cager could develop into the next Waller. Who knows, so I don't care about following trends. 

Ummm...I think that one is a reach of epic proportions.  So I KNOW it won't happen.

It is natural for fans to want to emulate a winner and Cincy was us two years ago.

3 hours ago, xrade said:

Ummm...I think that one is a reach of epic proportions.  So I KNOW it won't happen.

It is natural for fans to want to emulate a winner and Cincy was us two years ago.

Lol that's just an example.  Don't think too deep on that one. 

That's exactly how fans get their heart broken and over think about what the team needs to do. I can't think of many coaches who won 3 or less games their 1st season and turned their team to a competitor.  They went from 2,4, and then to the SB. What they did was incredibly rare.

3 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

Lol that's just an example.  Don't think too deep on that one. 

Just me being facetious. Personally, I like the JD plan so far. If you think about it, we are only in year 1 of the Saleh / JD regime. This will be a big offseason because I think we are not too far off on O. Of course that all depends on Zach. 

54 minutes ago, xrade said:

Just me being facetious. Personally, I like the JD plan so far. If you think about it, we are only in year 1 of the Saleh / JD regime. This will be a big offseason because I think we are not too far off on O. Of course that all depends on Zach. 

I agree. I have to keep in mind that he has had 1 season with his selected coach. He added talent in the areas we're focusing on, they all got hurt. I'm excited to see how this offense looks with a healthy Becton back. 

• 2 weeks later...