Around the League 2022

Bobby816

8 hours ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

Well JD has spent over $80M last free agency and $80M+ this offseason. 

Over $160M+ on FAs throughout the previous two Offseasons but yet 0 Superstars and still a lack of team talent.

That's pretty pathetic.

We don’t need to sign superstars though that’s the thing. It’s not all or nothing like I keep saying. We didn’t need to trade for Adams or Mack for the offseason to be a success. 

At the same time there was opportunities missed I feel to really strengthen the squad without breaking the bank or trading away valuable assets. 

I think we’ve gone for the steady, non risky approach and whilst that won’t really set us back much financially if the moves don’t pan out they don’t give me the optimism we can turn this thing around. 

I would love to be wrong though and this team will look a LOT better come 30th April. 

3 minutes ago, KimuraGod said:

We don’t need to sign superstars though that’s the thing. It’s not all or nothing like I keep saying. We didn’t need to trade for Adams or Mack for the offseason to be a success. 

At the same time there was opportunities missed I feel to really strengthen the squad without breaking the bank or trading away valuable assets. 

I think we’ve gone for the steady, non risky approach and whilst that won’t really set us back much financially if the moves don’t pan out they don’t give me the optimism we can turn this thing around. 

I would love to be wrong though and this team will look a LOT better come 30th April. 

We have no clue who we maybe tried to get and the player chose another team. Our FA period was what most of us thought. Bringing in good, but not great players on 2-3 year deals in that mid 20's age area. We got 6-7 players that will get a decent amount of playing time with us. That's good. Add onto that that we should be getting a good 4-6 guys in the draft that should get a ton of time as well... and that 1/2 a teams starters brought in, in 1 offseason. Not sure how that would be us "not doing enough."

I do still wonder about a trade. Saw and article on how most these deals JD has done he's made the cap hit bigger next year rather than this year. Leaving cap space for us this year. Now is that just to make sure we have some wiggle room cap wise and to not be at a risk of signing our draft picks? Maybe. Or Maybe it is in fact to make a move for a player sometime between now and the draft. Time will tell.

Craziness of wanting to trade for D.Hunter of the Vike's. No doubt when the guy was healthy he was a force. But he hasn't played more than 7 games the last 2 years. 

But leave it to the "know it all fan base". Trading for this guy would be wonderful, never taking into account that both Hunter and Lawson could get hurt in 2022. The Jets would be no the hook for 33 million for 2 players who couldn't even make it to the field OR were injured I the first few games. 

These same arm chair GM's would be calling for the head of J.D. for the bad decisions he's made.  

There is no reason to believe Lawson will not rebound and become the player the Jets hoped he would turn into, but if he's hurt a second time (fully guaranteed money). Then the Jets can move on next year virtually unharmed.

Every want to be G.M. cries out, lets trade for this player or that player, and this guy is a must or that guy is a must. Damn don't you think every fan base does the same thing?

Build through the draft, have some trust in the guys making the decisions. Last years draft was great, this years fa has been great. There's no reason not to trust what J.D. has done, even with a few hiccups. 

The draft is some 30 plus days away, and for all we know, the Jets will draft guys we never imagined they would.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Big T said:

Craziness of wanting to trade for D.Hunter of the Vike's. No doubt when the guy was healthy he was a force. But he hasn't played more than 7 games the last 2 years. 

But leave it to the "know it all fan base". Trading for this guy would be wonderful, never taking into account that both Hunter and Lawson could get hurt in 2022. The Jets would be no the hook for 33 million for 2 players who couldn't even make it to the field OR were injured I the first few games. 

These same arm chair GM's would be calling for the head of J.D. for the bad decisions he's made.  

There is no reason to believe Lawson will not rebound and become the player the Jets hoped he would turn into, but if he's hurt a second time (fully guaranteed money). Then the Jets can move on next year virtually unharmed.

Every want to be G.M. cries out, lets trade for this player or that player, and this guy is a must or that guy is a must. Damn don't you think every fan base does the same thing?

Build through the draft, have some trust in the guys making the decisions. Last years draft was great, this years fa has been great. There's no reason not to trust what J.D. has done, even with a few hiccups. 

The draft is some 30 plus days away, and for all we know, the Jets will draft guys we never imagined they would.

Trading for Hunter, for the low, would have been something a lot of could get behind. Sure the injury is a concern but we weren’t saying move a premium pick. He would fill a need, a huge one. However he stayed in Minnesota so clearly they know more about his medical condition than we do and if it wasn’t great they would have cut him instead of paying the roster bonus. 

4 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Trading for Hunter, for the low, would have been something a lot of could get behind. Sure the injury is a concern but we weren’t saying move a premium pick. He would fill a need, a huge one. However he stayed in Minnesota so clearly they know more about his medical condition than we do and if it wasn’t great they would have cut him instead of paying the roster bonus. 

Ya as of now… there’s no one that is rumored at DE or WR that’s upgrading us much in the trade market. Unless something unexpected happens. Which has been known to happen where out of the blue someone gets moved. Normally it’s guys due a payday next offseason. So maybe a DE or WR in that area.

The good part is we aren’t forced to do anything. Ya the draft is a risk and when you can move it for a proven talent it works sometimes. And we have cap. But we aren’t trying to win the SB this year. Staying the course and drafting guys that fit what we like is great. Just have to hit on those guys for it to work. We can’t draft another Gholston at DE at 4. We can’t draft another Dee Milner. We can’t draft another Stephen Hill and Devin Smith, etc. We have to hit on our picks for this thing to change. Still comes down to QB play at the end of the day. But there’s 21 other starters.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

We have no clue who we maybe tried to get and the player chose another team. Our FA period was what most of us thought. Bringing in good, but not great players on 2-3 year deals in that mid 20's age area. We got 6-7 players that will get a decent amount of playing time with us. That's good. Add onto that that we should be getting a good 4-6 guys in the draft that should get a ton of time as well... and that 1/2 a teams starters brought in, in 1 offseason. Not sure how that would be us "not doing enough."

I do still wonder about a trade. Saw and article on how most these deals JD has done he's made the cap hit bigger next year rather than this year. Leaving cap space for us this year. Now is that just to make sure we have some wiggle room cap wise and to not be at a risk of signing our draft picks? Maybe. Or Maybe it is in fact to make a move for a player sometime between now and the draft. Time will tell.

Doesn’t really matter if we tried to get others through the door as ultimately we didn’t. 

I have said multiple times why I think we haven’t done enough this free agency period and I said the same thing last year. It’s like a broken record. Similar to you and your ‘draft a receiver’ and should of drafted Wirfs opinion!!! 😂

I can express my opinion like all of you can. I just happen to be in the minority here yet again just like years previous. That’s cool because I feel I try to articulate my points rather than just bash guys. 

I didn’t think we would be big time players across the board this free agency period but I hoped/expected us to close the gap to our rivals in our division and conference. Somehow I actually think the gap has widened.

Obviously I like all of us here demand the real talent infusion to come draft night. Then I may feel better about our team but right now I see another tough year ahead. 

6 hours ago, Big T said:

Armchair GM’s!!! Make out like the **** we’ve witnessed over the last decade has been palatable.

We’ve stunk.

So yeah I think fans who invest their time and energy into the team can express their opinion especially when the results from the actual GM’s have made us the laughing stock of the league. 

2 hours ago, KimuraGod said:

Doesn’t really matter if we tried to get others through the door as ultimately we didn’t. 

I have said multiple times why I think we haven’t done enough this free agency period and I said the same thing last year. It’s like a broken record. Similar to you and your ‘draft a receiver’ and should of drafted Wirfs opinion!!! 😂

I can express my opinion like all of you can. I just happen to be in the minority here yet again just like years previous. That’s cool because I feel I try to articulate my points rather than just bash guys. 

I didn’t think we would be big time players across the board this free agency period but I hoped/expected us to close the gap to our rivals in our division and conference. Somehow I actually think the gap has widened.

Obviously I like all of us here demand the real talent infusion to come draft night. Then I may feel better about our team but right now I see another tough year ahead. 

I have to ask though… who would’ve you brought in? That would’ve been realistic. 

Damn, sucks to see Crowder go to the Bills. Have always liked him and it'll be hard to watch him there.

On the other hand I love the Matt Ryan to the Colts move. It's been a while since Ryan had a good team around him and that matching could go very well.

12 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I have to ask though… who would’ve you brought in? That would’ve been realistic. 

I have already said I would of brought in one of Marcus Williams or Tyrann Mathieu. That’s for sure. TM is still a FA so it’s not like he’s signed for big money to a contender and we’ve been left with no chance. 

Also I would of liked a more sure thing at CB like Gilmore for a couple of years as our CB room is young, talented but really inexperienced that I think a more sure veteran would of been a better option. If Reed becomes a #1 cb though then even better but I have my doubts as he doesn’t have the resume you like to see from our veteran option. Time will tell. 

On the o-line I can’t really grumble. Would of loved Collins as you could of played him RT (is natural position) and traded Fant as he will be a UFA next offseason. If Fant is forced to play RT we don’t know he will  fare as well as he did at LT. I don’t like question marks with the o-line when it’s imperative ZW is protected big time this year. 

At receiver we still look a little thin although again I expect the draft to be our option here. 

The biggest concern for me was the pass rushing department. We let Foley walk which was fine but our only investment in the d-line was a part time rusher who’s again not got the pedigree to hang your hat on.
If we draft a guy at #4 or #10 wouldn’t it of been wiser to bring in a better veteran presence to mentor the new draftee and also play significant snaps as part of the rotation and god forbid start if Lawson isn’t healthy/rookie isn’t ready?! 

Listen if all these under the radar low risk moves pan out then JD is a frigging genius and I would HAPPILY hold my hands up and say I was wrong. Like I legit hope your all taking the piss out of me throughout the year because it worked out!! But I just don’t see all these moves working out like that. 

3 minutes ago, KimuraGod said:

I have already said I would of brought in one of Marcus Williams or Tyrann Mathieu. That’s for sure. TM is still a FA so it’s not like he’s signed for big money to a contender and we’ve been left with no chance. 

Also I would of liked a more sure thing at CB like Gilmore for a couple of years as our CB room is young, talented but really inexperienced that I think a more sure veteran would of been a better option. If Reed becomes a #1 cb though then even better but I have my doubts as he doesn’t have the resume you like to see from our veteran option. Time will tell. 

On the o-line I can’t really grumble. Would of loved Collins as you could of played him RT (is natural position) and traded Fant as he will be a UFA next offseason. If Fant is forced to play RT we don’t know he will  fare as well as he did at LT. I don’t like question marks with the o-line when it’s imperative ZW is protected big time this year. 

At receiver we still look a little thin although again I expect the draft to be our option here. 

The biggest concern for me was the pass rushing department. We let Foley walk which was fine but our only investment in the d-line was a part time rusher who’s again not got the pedigree to hang your hat on.
If we draft a guy at #4 or #10 wouldn’t it of been wiser to bring in a better veteran presence to mentor the new draftee and also play significant snaps as part of the rotation and god forbid start if Lawson isn’t healthy/rookie isn’t ready?! 

Listen if all these under the radar low risk moves pan out then JD is a frigging genius and I would HAPPILY hold my hands up and say I was wrong. Like I legit hope your all taking the piss out of me throughout the year because it worked out!! But I just don’t see all these moves working out like that. 

But you're leaving the most important part out of your side of it.

Why would they join us, a rebuilding team? Every player you mentioned is a vet that has been paid in their career and looking for a ring more so than a paycheck. Obviously they'll get a pay day still... but they want to win.

You as a soccer guy maybe need to put yourself in their shoes. You're a vet that's made money but wants to play in the CL and compete for trophies. Are you going to go play for a Bayern Munich or are you going to play for RB Leipzig?

Top vet players aren't craving coming to rebuilding teams. So I think you went into FA and sounds like you're still looking at FA very unrealistic. You should've never thought top players who want to win might come here. Maybe some click bait articles put those unrealistic thoughts in your head, bc I read some of them too. But I knew none of those guys were actually coming here.

We signed mostly guys who I thought we would. Not the exact guys... but similar. By that I mean certain positions and ages for those positions. 

23 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

But you're leaving the most important part out of your side of it.

Why would they join us, a rebuilding team? Every player you mentioned is a vet that has been paid in their career and looking for a ring more so than a paycheck. Obviously they'll get a pay day still... but they want to win.

You as a soccer guy maybe need to put yourself in their shoes. You're a vet that's made money but wants to play in the CL and compete for trophies. Are you going to go play for a Bayern Munich or are you going to play for RB Leipzig?

Top vet players aren't craving coming to rebuilding teams. So I think you went into FA and sounds like you're still looking at FA very unrealistic. You should've never thought top players who want to win might come here. Maybe some click bait articles put those unrealistic thoughts in your head, bc I read some of them too. But I knew none of those guys were actually coming here.

We signed mostly guys who I thought we would. Not the exact guys... but similar. By that I mean certain positions and ages for those positions. 

Some of those guys haven’t even be signed yet though. So for the right deal you’d expect they would agree on the move. Either way I take what you’ve said on board and I do understand it’s easier said than done. 

Can’t compare the NFL to football (soccer). We don’t have any salary cap and there’s a massive difference between the top teams and the mid/lower clubs. It’s literally nothing alike. The big teams budget could be 10x that of other clubs.