Around the League 2022

Bobby816

17 minutes ago, KimuraGod said:

Some of those guys haven’t even be signed yet though. So for the right deal you’d expect they would agree on the move. Either way I take what you’ve said on board and I do understand it’s easier said than done. 

Can’t compare the NFL to football (soccer). We don’t have any salary cap and there’s a massive difference between the top teams and the mid/lower clubs. It’s literally nothing alike. The big teams budget could be 10x that of other clubs. 

My point wasn't money though in comparing it to soccer. It was saying it from a wanting to win standpoint. Salary cap and such make no difference in that regard. If a player wants to join a winning team over a losing team, it makes 100% sense. And you cant blame the player for wanting to win.

Some players want the money, but for vets that's often rare or they get both (paid and a winning team).

Remember we're looked at as a bottom 5 team in the NFL and are still currently the longest drought for missed playoffs. We aren't desirable. We have one of the highest markets and such around us for homes and such and there's state tax.

THE NY JETS AREN"T A VERY DESIRABLE TEAM TO JOIN!!!

Now if we can draft right, we can change that over time. But the likes of the honeybadger, Gilmore, Von Miller, etc. aren't coming here. So you set your expectations unrealistically. 

37 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

My point wasn't money though in comparing it to soccer. It was saying it from a wanting to win standpoint. Salary cap and such make no difference in that regard. If a player wants to join a winning team over a losing team, it makes 100% sense. And you cant blame the player for wanting to win.

Some players want the money, but for vets that's often rare or they get both (paid and a winning team).

Remember we're looked at as a bottom 5 team in the NFL and are still currently the longest drought for missed playoffs. We aren't desirable. We have one of the highest markets and such around us for homes and such and there's state tax.

THE NY JETS AREN"T A VERY DESIRABLE TEAM TO JOIN!!!

Now if we can draft right, we can change that over time. But the likes of the honeybadger, Gilmore, Von Miller, etc. aren't coming here. So you set your expectations unrealistically. 

I get your point but it’s not similar to soccer in any which way. Teams who are classed as crap have their players bought by the more successful and richer teams. And the really top teams like Bayern who you mentioned just cherry pick all the best players from Germany which depletes their rivals. It’s not an even playing field like the NFL where every owner is a billionaire and salary caps etc. 

Yeah I again take on board what your saying but it’s not like us or the Giants/Yankees/Kincks have struggled to have great players before. It’s not like NY is a state or market which players just don’t want to be a part of. 

We have been garbage for too long and your right that can impact free agents of course. Saleh was supposed to be this coach everyone wanted to play for. Not sure how true all those reports were.

Let’s see where we are after the draft. I think we will look a lot better afterwards. I just don’t get the views on YouTube and here from Jet fans I respect saying how great of an offseason JD is having. Like I said I hope it’s me and I’m wrong. More than happy to be celebrating a bunch of wins this year and seeing the progression of the young guys. 

I agree that we are not a desirable destination. Before the season, we were a fringe playoff team with a very questionable QB in a division with the goat HC and a very scary Bills team. Now that the AFCW has started an arms race, most of the AFC is feeling the fallout. I think it more akin to the NBA, where talent follows talent to stack a single team and win a ring, and the rest of the league is just kind of there.

Plainly, we don't have the star talent to attract more stars.

Until proven otherwise, no one can seriously say we're anything better than the third-worst team in the AFC. We aren't bringing in anyone who's expecting to win.

Even with all of our offseason changes. Even if you assume we have a great draft. Even if you assume we have much better injury luck. It's really difficult to see us being better than any team in the AFC other than Houston and Jacksonville (though obviously we can still beat these "better" teams on our day like we did with the Titans and Bengals last year). It's going to be a long season if Zach doesn't make a big leap.

2 hours ago, TheChad said:

Until proven otherwise, no one can seriously say we're anything better than the third-worst team in the AFC. We aren't bringing in anyone who's expecting to win.

Even with all of our offseason changes. Even if you assume we have a great draft. Even if you assume we have much better injury luck. It's really difficult to see us being better than any team in the AFC other than Houston and Jacksonville (though obviously we can still beat these "better" teams on our day like we did with the Titans and Bengals last year). It's going to be a long season if Zach doesn't make a big leap.

Good post Chad, I agree the entire 2022 depends on how Zach Wilson plays, he is the key to our future.

3 hours ago, TheChad said:

So I pretty much mostly agree with you. But where I differ is we cant take CIN from last year and act like that's a norm. Teams rarely have a turnaround like that. I mean if you want to split hairs on it, our bad team beat them. So that shows how odd it was.

Where I do agree is we aren't any better until we start showing it. We don't have a single player on offense or defense that scares anybody. And no matter what we do in the draft that wont change, bc that guy will be just a rookie. Even if we draft a WR at 4 or 10... that WR wont be Chase. Odds are they wont be 1/2 of what Chase was as a rookie.

All we have is "hope" that certain players can be what we "hope" they can be.

Hope that Corey Davis can stay healthy and be a 1k 6td + guy for us

Hope that Elijah Moore can be a scary weapon for us and also stay healthy

Hope that Carter can take a huge leap with a good OL in front of him

Hope that Lawson can return healthy and be a 10 sack guy for us

Hope that Q can finally be worth his draft spot with (what should be after the draft) 2 good DEs around him

Hope that our young CBs can keep progressing

And most importantly that Wilson can ball out. That he now knows the system so good that thinking isn't part of his game anymore. He just knows his reads and all. His timing with his weapons is on point. He knows how to not turn the ball over. Etc.

All these things we only can hold "hope" on. None of these have been true for a whole season for us. And there's pretty much no way that they all happen. But if we can have 50%+ happen, we're trending in the right direction. No one (unless you set your expectations too high) thought that once we drafted Wilson that we'd be an every year playoff contender in a year. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KimuraGod said:

Miami having a good offseason too. Our division is going to be really tough. 

I would not say a good offseason. Armstead is a solid LT yes, Ogbah is not really that good, Gesicki can be good but has no QB to throw to him, Williams is more of a name than a good player. The guy got called on a lot of holds and offsides. Edmonds is a 3rd down back at best. Mostert is an old broken down RB that will struggle to find holes. Wilson is a WR 4/5 at best. Teddy B is a backup QB now that will probably be out of the league in a few years. Sherfield who? Ingold who? Crossen Who? What I mean by who is camp bodies. Their offseason is not that good. 

On 3/21/2022 at 3:11 PM, KimuraGod said:

Armchair GM’s!!! Make out like the **** we’ve witnessed over the last decade has been palatable.

We’ve stunk.

So yeah I think fans who invest their time and energy into the team can express their opinion especially when the results from the actual GM’s have made us the laughing stock of the league. 

While I don't disagree with how bad a team we were, its not because of the team per se, but terrible GM's back to back. We were not good, not because the talent wasn't to be had but the GM's drafted poorly. Up until JD, Tannenbaum was the best GM the Jets have had in almost a decade.

JD has made some poor decisions no argument from me, but the guy is lightyears better than the past 2 GM's combined, not as though that was saying much. 

We aren't worse off as a team bc we didn't get Hill. Bc we still have draft assets and had a decent FA.

But we are worse bc the division just got that much better. And we are likely hands down the worst team in the AFC East.

• Like 2