Preseason Week 2: Packers vs Jets

ThatJerkDave

2 minutes ago, Joe said:

You actually want a wrestling background more from your IDL and ILB's given that their main objective is to win the leverage game IMO.

This is a trend across the league. I'm sure you remember the days where Game 3 of the preseason was specifically designed for the first team to play a series or two to "get in rhythm" and then they were hurried off the field for fear of injury.

I want a wrestling background on all my players, except WR/TE. 😃

There are a lot of qualities, physically and mentally, and with technique, to a high level wrestler that can translate and benefit on the football field.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ReadyToThump said:

I want a wrestling background on all my players, except WR/TE/DB/RB. 😃

There are a lot of qualities, physically and mentally, and with technique, to a high level wrestler that can translate and benefit on the football field.

Fixed...

Edited by Joe

32 minutes ago, Joe said:

uh...the OL for DL and FB/HB/TE's for the ILB. Again, it's all about leverage, especially when the opposing player has you locked up. In wrestling, as you would probably know, it's about disabling your opponent's aggression while disengaging your opponent in order to achieve total body control against your opponent in order to take them down(for points of course) and/or pin them.

So why would you want that background more for the DL than the OL? You dont think its equally benificial?

16 hours ago, CWood21 said:

We didn't have a single preseason game last year, and Rodgers won an MVP.  I think he'll be fine.  The only players that the PS reps are valuable for are young guys and fringe roster guys.

Didn't say he wouldn't be fine....Just a little out of sync with his receivers per the last couple of seasons....

On 8/22/2021 at 7:28 PM, 40Year Pack Fan said:

The Bakh injury was certainly a blow, but AR got his way when he wanted the team to host the NFCCG.....Again the defensive lags, and AR's inability to take advantage of the Brady interceptions were this team's undoing....

Agree but that has nothing to do for what will happen this year.  Better be a learning "curve" for the Packers from that.  Expecting them to come out with their hair on fire.

1st quarter notes:

Play 1: Kickoff. Crosby, Summers, Jean-Charles, De'Jon Harris, Martin, McDuffie, Gaines, Hollman, Yiadom, Henry Black. Can't find the 11th guy without the All-22.

Play 2: Nice fill by Henry Black coming down from his safety spot. Barkes and Barnes at ILB in the base.

Play 3: Galei going to do drop into coverage (awkwardly) and then come up and make a good stop on a flair screen out of the backfield.

Play 4: Corey Davis beats Eric Stokes on a skinny post route against the Cover-4. That's a tough assignment for a rookie. No pressure

Play 5: Playaction FB lead. Burks is going to take on and shed the FB lead block and instead the FB is going to slip out into the flat for a decent gain and a first down.

Play 6: Gain of a couple on an outside run. You'd like to see Delontae Scott seal a little bit harder edge.

Play 7: Slayton decides to let the C go rather than engage the double team and ends up making the tackle

Play 8: Phenomenal coverage by Eric Stokes on the curl route by Corey Davis. 

Play 9: FG Block. Can't see **** from this angle.

Play 10: Kickoff Return TB. Hill returning. Dexter Williams and Patrick Taylor the second line. Summers, Sternberger, Hollman, Barnes, Gaines, Ento, Kaufusi, Jean-Charles

Play 11: Deliberate flair screen to Dillon who catches for a gain of 5.

Play 12: Counter lead run that went for 8, but considering how badly the Jets blew the edge contain here, it might have gone for 80 if Daniel Crawford had shown some initiative as the lead block. Crawford got cut and this play shows why.

Play 13: Packers right side, including Newman, is going to do a good enough job stalemating their blocks for a gain of 5 on the ground. 

Play 14: Benkert's incredible rollout/corner throw to Malik Taylor. Very nice catch by Taylor. Need a little more out of AJ Dillon in protection here. Ben Braden isn't a RT in the NFL.

Play 15: Newman with a damn fine reach block to spring this. Braden, Kaufusi, and Crawford all won individual blocks in space here to set up Dillon for a gain of 11.

Play 16: Same play as the previous, but this time neither Newman nor the others win cleanly and it turns into a gain of 3.

Play 17: Redzone screen very similar to the TD last week. Runyan does a ****ty job finding work in space here and instead of a TD it only goes for 5.

Play 18: Caught the Jets out of position here without an edge player on the right. The offense sees it and gets the sweep going that way. Braden gets a free run up to the ILB and takes him out. Even when Newman falls flat on his face it works out for him. He tries to combo off his inside shoulder, falls down, and the edge guy sprinting across the field to get into position trips over his dead body. Hill scores off it.

Play 19: XP is good. 

After one possession each, our backups are beating their starters.

Play 20: Kickoff. Crosby. Jean Charles, Ento, Summers, Uphoff, Martin, Gaines, Yiadom, Hollman, Harris, McDuffie

Play 21: Bubblescreen to Corey Davis. Ento playing 10 yards off misses the come-up tackle.

Play 22: Tunnel screen. Becton kills Barnes, Hollman does a decent enough job stepping up for his support to get there to keep things to a short gain. 

Play 23: Burks playing 10/Scrape is a bit slow to recognize outside run here and the Jets pick up 5 on the ground. 

Play 24: Ran our slant/blitz combo right into the Jets counter and ended up giving up 4 yards on the ground for it.

Play 25: Outstanding short yardage stand. Slaton ate the G/C double against Becton and didn't give much. Heflin stoned the Center. Garvin shot in and blew up the lead blocker and Barnes cleaned it up on a nice slant into the backfield. Textbook 3-4 run defense right there to get off the field on 3rd and short.

Play 26: Punt return. AR8 on the return. Stokes and Hollman as the gunner blockers. Martin, Burks, Ento, Uphoff, Patrick Taylor, Didn't see the other 2.

Play 27: Braden and Kaufusi completely blow a combo block and it ends up with a loss of 3. Sternberger isn't great either.

Play 28: 2nd and long run for a gain of 5 to bring up 3rd and long.

Play 29: Incomplete to Sternberger on an opposite shoulder short in. Probably should have been a catch.

Play 30: Punt for net. Fair catch, net of 43 from Scott. Some kind of procedural penalty pushes it back another 5. Uphoff was one gunner, the other got knocked down in the trash. Bradley, Summers, Sternberger, Burks, Patrick Taylor. Couldn't see much else. 

Play 31: Run wide, need more in edge contain out of Scott. 

Play 32: Zach Wilson throws an easy first down into the dirt. Yiadom bit on PA against Corey Davis on a rollout.

Play 33: Martin just completely blew the coverage on the crosser here. Keke had his man beat and was pressuring the QB, just let the receiver run free to the middle of the field for an easy fist down.

Play 34: I think it was Yiadom who got lost on the receiver switch down the field and gave up this big completion. Might also have been Henry Black Previlon actually got some pressure here.

Grades:

Benkert: B

Only four throws, but he made an impression with one and was always well in control of the offense. This B is more about a lack of opportunities than the existence of negative plays.

Dillon: B

Glad we got him some work early to get his feet wet. Now shut him down, he's ready for the season.

Hill: B

I don't mind him as RB3 at all. Feed him next week as well.

WRs: INC

Only one ball targeted to WRs in the 1st quarter.

TEs: INC

Only one ball targeted to TEs in the 1st quarter. The lineup today was Sternberger and scrubs, not even the full backups.

Braden: C-

Decent enough performance at his not best spot, but he's not a starting NFL tackle and that was without a lot of throwing the ball around. 

Newman: B

Good run blocking. Good blocking in space. good blocking in pass pro. Another very solid day.

Myers: B-

Didn't even notice him. 

Runyan: C+

A couple of good backside blocks in the run game, but struggled in space.

Yijman: B-

Didn't even notice him. 

Slaton: B-

The potential is there. I don't think it's going to pop this year, but if he stays in shape he's going to minimally be a high end role player. 

Heflin: C

I don't think he makes the team, but I wouldn't mind him at all on the PS. He battled hard against the Jets starters today. 

Previlon: C+

I don't think he makes the team, but we certainly could use the bodytape and the skillset in a much better player. Might get kept on the PS because of potential.

Keke: INC

Didn't play enough. 

OLBs: INC

I guess if I have to pick 2 from this group, it's Garvin and Gilaei, but there's not enough pass rush from this group. I wouldn't be shocked to see a post cut signing here.

Barnes: C

He is what he is. Get him out of preseason please. 

Burks: C

Still encouraged by the development. I think he'll be fine as the #3 ILB in a defense that frequently only plays with 1. 

Martin: D

The pass coverage miss was something you expect to happen to a rookie. Not a great performance.

Stokes: C+

Won some and lost some against a legitimate NFL starting WR. I'll take that every day for a rookie on the boundary.

Yiadom: D+

Can't tell if the issues were experience in the system or general scrubbery related.

Henry Black: C

A couple of nice fills in run support, but was part of the miscommunication at the end of the half.

Vernon Scott: INC

Didn't even know he was there.

Crosby: Pass

Kickoffs were good and made his XP

Bradley: Pass

No bad snaps

Scott: D

Net 43 without the penalty when your only kick is for net isn't a good day

• Like 6

A user on reddit ("2pt") has been assembling individual video clips, with analysis, for the various phases (run defense, pass defense, run offense, pass offense). He's done them for both preseason games. Really handy for player scouting. 

Here are two of his collections from the NYJ game:

pass defense

run offense

Other entries can be found on the GBP reddit page. Enjoy.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Les Punting said:

A user on reddit ("2pt") has been assembling individual video clips, with analysis, for the various phases (run defense, pass defense, run offense, pass offense). He's done them for both preseason games. Really handy for player scouting. 

pass defense

run offense

this is great, good share

1 hour ago, Les Punting said:

pass defense

run offense

Props for citing the user/source. Looks like lot of work