Lions at Steelers Pre-GDT

MOSteelers56

O-Line deserves to be talked about tonight. Chuks, Dotson, Green, Turner, and Moore all looked extremely solid in both the run and the pass. I know Detroit’s D-Line is probably bottom of the league but still it was nice to see the presumptive starting 5 step up in a big way tonight. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, August4th said:

Mason had a good drive. I think he'll be QB2 this yr 

It is what it is, but if Ben were to go down for an extended period this year, Id much prefer Haskins came in.   We know what Rudolph is....an average at best backup with zero upside.    

Haskins still has upside, and Id rather see what he could do with first team reps, rather than the guy who was barely better than a UDFA rookie.

• Like 1

Anyone kinda getting 2008 vibes?

Watt and Highsmith COULD be the new Harrison and Woodley.  The overall D doesnt have quite as many weapons, but the DLine is still great and the secondarys success will be largely reliant on the pass rush....just like in 2008.  

Our offense is easily more talented than 2008.    Our 2021 OLine, even with several new starters, cant be any worse than 2008.   Ben was hobbled most of 2008 after the Eagles game early that year, so Ben likely wont be worse than 2008, either.   I feel like Friermuth and Harris might make Bens life much easier.   Lets just hope the WRs play better.

That all being said, the AFC is pretty stacked.   Im far more optimistic now than I was earlier this offseason...but alot of the changes we need are ones we cant see....most notably in regards to coaching.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, 43M said:

Anyone kinda getting 2008 vibes?

Watt and Highsmith COULD be the new Harrison and Woodley.  The overall D doesnt have quite as many weapons, but the DLine is still great and the secondarys success will be largely reliant on the pass rush....just like in 2008.  

Our offense is easily more talented than 2008.    Our 2021 OLine, even with several new starters, cant be any worse than 2008.   Ben was hobbled most of 2008 after the Eagles game early that year, so Ben likely wont be worse than 2008, either.   I feel like Friermuth and Harris might make Bens life much easier.   Lets just hope the WRs play better.

That all being said, the AFC is pretty stacked.   Im far more optimistic now than I was earlier this offseason...but alot of the changes we need are ones we cant see....most notably in regards to coaching.

@43M this is the most optimistic post I’ve seen from you in years, something must be cooking 😎

Call me crazy but I am so damn excited for our defense this year, genuinely think it has the potential to be the best one in recent years, barring injury of course. We have such a lethal front 7 and opportunistic playmakers on the back end in Minkah, Haden, Sutton, and (hopefully) Edmonds and Pierre. I expect a ton of sacks and turnovers in general.  

I know it’s a preseason game but we saw Ben out there dodging d-lineman and pump faking the camera man like it was the mid 2000s. Najee, ‘Muth, and Green all look ready to play at a high level right out of the gate.  

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

@43M this is the most optimistic post I’ve seen from you in years, something must be cooking 😎

Ha....dont get used to it.  😉

Im not overly excited, but Highsmith looks terrific, and Harris and Friermuth are showing exactly why they were drafted early.   All non Steelers fans were bashing them for not going OLine....and its understandable....but Harris and Friermuth were both pro ready prospects that will have a much bigger impact on this offense than ANY OL we were in position to get.

There are 2 things Id love to see happen before the season....

1)  TJ Watt signing a long term deal.

2)   Us aquiring another decent CB....perhaps trading James Washington to facilitate that.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

I'm glad that Okorafor isn't stressed by having to compete for his job or anything. I'd hate to see how poorly he'd play if he were stressed.

I saw from some comments on another site(so…grain of salt maybe) that Chuks gave up 5 pressures in 29 dropbacks. The rest of the line gave up 1. That’s less than ideal. I don’t know if Moore is ready. Maybe there’s a FA, or trade, out there? Maybe we’ll just roll with one unbearably bad linemen, like Darnell Stapleton. Fitting for @43M 2008 point. 

That 2008 team had a whole line of unbearably bad linemen, though. But Stapleton was somehow the worst.

• Like 1

A couple observations from yesterday's 26 - 20 win over the Lions.

1. Mason Rudolph is either jinxed or cannot elevate the level of those around him.  I know this is a bit of a broad stretch or a painful truth.  Early on Mason moved the offense downfield only to not be able to complete drives because of self inflicted poor execution or penalties (false starts and holding to name a few). The Steelers were moving the ball the opening offensive drives against both the Cowboys and Eagles. They ended up behind in the down in distance and could not convert to keep drives alive. 

Then a popular theme of sputtering around in subsequent drives didn't help. It is pre-season and teams are playing very basic offenses and vanilla defenses, so it is a little concerning not to take advantage of some of the ideal conditions to get some work and hit against a different color jersey. I would say that Mason has been efficient, but not effective. Not putting the ball in the endzone has not been totally his fault, but as I led with, Mason has not elevated the others on offense to overcome the mistakes and score a TD. Even his long pass against the Lions after a negative play did not result in a TD drive. 

I believe that Mason has improved and become more confident since being thrust into the lineup in 2019. The results have not been what we expected and again, while only pre-season, I am still concerned that he has not shown enough in a game to show he can lead and elevate the offense with his arm or skills. 

2. Conversely, Big Ben led the offense downfield to two TD's and a FG. A dropped pass by Ebron stopped another potential drive. I am not ready to term this offense a juggernaut as Detroit was not playing their A game either and certainly was playing a bit of gamesmanship as well as the Steelers with both meeting later this season, and not wanting to tip their hands or build a sense of false dominance. The OL opened holes, protected Ben, and scored points. Mission accomplished and did serve to build some things to build from. 

3. The secondary will be a work in progress.  I don't think the offense is great as it looked nor the secondary and pass defense as bad as it looked at times. Cam looks like a solid Nickel back more than a #2 starting CB thus far.  Pierre and Lane have been beaten and made plays. Goff didn't play, but the Lions hit a few passes early and missed a few open receivers as well. In the second half, the David Blough torched the back-up defense behind a solid rushing attack, his mobility, and passing accuracy. Brooks and Maulet are both hurt, but that doesn't help the starting CB's. I do believe that Cam will settle and improve, I still wouldn't mind seeing another coverage CB signed before the Steelers head into Buffalo week one. 

4. Highsmith and Engram look to combine with Watt to give the Steelers a very nice trio of OLB's.

5. Great high for the offensive rookie starters: RB Najee, TE Pat, and OC Kendrick all played well versus Detroit.  Moore looks like he wants to play as the 6th OL, BJ Finney won't go away quietly in the fight for backup C/G, and I believe that Haig and Coward have made the team after their third game of decent play. 

6. Tre Norwood didn't have his best game. Matthew Sexton is making himself a tough cut and with a solid game against the Panthers may win the PR job.  He looks like everything that we hoped Ryan Switzer would be. Realistically, he ends up on the PS, but if he can take one to the house or have another long return, may wrestle the job from Ray Ray. White and Rico will land on PS if not scooped up by another team. 

7. Kalen Ballage looks like the second best RB on the roster.  Going to be interesting with who gets cut at the RB position. If Ballage has a decent showing against the Panthers, I think Samuels and Benny are in trouble.  McFarland will most likely make it because of his speed potential, although he has not done anything consistent or outstanding on the field running or catching. 

8. Who wins the third TE spot? This is to be determined, with Gentry and Radar going at into the final preseason game. The lack of punting and offense of the field in the second half has prevented the punting battle from being played out in the games. I like Pressley's upside, but Berry won't just roll over and quit. That will be interesting for both as each hold or kick will be a pressure situation. 

9. DL is going to be interesting after: Cam, Tyson, Tuitt, and Lowdermilk.  I think that two spots are up for grabs between Wormley, Mondeaux, Buggs, and Davis. 

10. The back-up OLB is going to be interesting. Marsh, Roche, and Jones will battle down to the wire. It may come down to special teams ability more than what they offer as pass rushers or OLB's. 

• Like 4