Chances Bell is a Steeler in 2018?

43M

What are the chances Bell is a Steeler in 2018?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Chances Bell is a Steeler?

• 100% - No chance we let him walk
    • 75% - I think we get a deal done, but I won't be shocked if he leaves
    • 50% - Could go either way
    • 25% - Im holding out hope, but I doubt it.
    • 0% - No real chance. Too expensive and not enough money.

Personally, if I made the decision for it, I would do everything in my power to retain Bell. Our best chance to remain contenders Post Ben is with a great running game, a good defense, and a QB who is smart and keeps the ball for us. We already have one of those and the pieces for the second. It remains to be seen what the QB position will be like, but its a really good start. 

Turning the offense over to Bell for 5 years (expecting that to be a contract length) keeps you in contention. Honestly, I dont know what he would cost, but a guy like Alex Smith who is going to be out of KC soon would be a great care taker while you find your long term replacement, and the presence of Bell allows you some leeway as far as years to find that person. 

If we lose Bell and Ben is gone within say 2 years - we are in a very big rebuilding mode, or you have to bank that you have found the QB successor immediately. We could still have a solid run game, but nothing would be better than Bell and without his presence its more pressure on either a young, inexperienced QB or a Vet who is more of a placeholder. 

Having said that....I do think and my vote goes to 75%. I think its too tough to walk away from, but that is a ton of money for a dying position (though, I do have a theory that the NFL reverts back to heavy run soon).  He very well may be worth it, but tying up that much money at RB is going to hurt you other places. 

Bell has a limited shelf life given the way they use him, but I have no problem paying him off the charts for a couple more years.   He is basically the 2nd best RB in the league, and about the 20th best WR in the league.

How much do most teams commit to a RB1 and a WR2 ?    Add in that he only uses 1 roster spot....

5 hours ago, Money said:

I hope none of this happens but the ring. Kirk Cousins? At $120m? I'll take Mike Tomczak for minimum salary. O'Donnell for $1m if he stops shaving points

This is laughable, Kirk is a top 10 QB statistically, we can absolutely win SB's with him with the rest of the team we already have. This team can not carry dobbs or landry jones to a SB win though.

7 hours ago, TXsteeler said:

This is laughable, Kirk is a top 10 QB statistically, we can absolutely win SB's with him with the rest of the team we already have. This team can not carry dobbs or landry jones to a SB win though.

No offense, but its no more laughable than the suggestion to sign Cousins and Bell.

We are never going to sign Kirk Cousins, so its not even worth debating.    Even if Ben retires and we dont resign Bell and had $30+ mil in free cap, we wouldnt sign him.     First and foremost, its not the way the Steelers do things....for better or for worse, they arent going to get into a bidding war for anyone.    Secondly, while I think Cousins is underrated, I still dont trust him enough to mortgage our future on him.    Third...not alot of huge money FA deals work out of the best.     Not that I wouldnt take Cousins as a replacement for Ben if given the right opportunity, but the reality is Ben is probably going to be here next year and we will likely TRY to draft a QB early to sit and learn for a year or 2.    

Bottom line....there is absolutely zero chance Cousins will ever be a Pittsburgh Steeler, so its not even worth discussing.  

24 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

No offense, but its no more laughable than the suggestion to sign Cousins and Bell.

We are never going to sign Kirk Cousins, so its not even worth debating.    Even if Ben retires and we dont resign Bell and had $30+ mil in free cap, we wouldnt sign him.     First and foremost, its not the way the Steelers do things....for better or for worse, they arent going to get into a bidding war for anyone.    Secondly, while I think Cousins is underrated, I still dont trust him enough to mortgage our future on him.    Third...not alot of huge money FA deals work out of the best.     Not that I wouldnt take Cousins as a replacement for Ben if given the right opportunity, but the reality is Ben is probably going to be here next year and we will likely TRY to draft a QB early to sit and learn for a year or 2.    

Bottom line....there is absolutely zero chance Cousins will ever be a Pittsburgh Steeler, so its not even worth discussing.  

I'd take Smith over Cousins anyway. As someone else suggested, he can manage the game. Play Defense, Run the ball and Smith can air it when called upon. He's cheaper and older which would allow a draft pick to develop and take over without suffering losing seasons in between. Of course with all of that said, I don't see it happening. But if given the choice of the 2 things that aren't gonna happen....give me Smith. 

2 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

I'd take Smith over Cousins anyway. As someone else suggested, he can manage the game. Play Defense, Run the ball and Smith can air it when called upon. He's cheaper and older which would allow a draft pick to develop and take over without suffering losing seasons in between. Of course with all of that said, I don't see it happening. But if given the choice of the 2 things that aren't gonna happen....give me Smith. 

Agreed.   

In fact, I just stated that in another thread.   Smith is a much more realistic option while we groom someone.  

But again, I expect Ben to be a Steeler next year.

I said either way 50% based on:

1. there could be a team that will spend the $, history has shown this, maybe remember the redskins in UFA over the years and there have been some others

2. we might not have available cap space

3. Bell might want to leave. Suppose another team says they will use him more at WR and he will get more overall use, he might want this. 

4. some players prefer nice weather, not sure where he is at with this, but can understand this .

On 2017-10-26 at 10:47 AM, Money said:

I hope none of this happens but the ring. Kirk Cousins? At $120m? I'll take Mike Tomczak for minimum salary. O'Donnell for $1m if he stops shaving points

@Money - you need to read the posters rules and agreement . At no time is anyone permitted to consider Odonnell to have ever been a part of this franchise. Got it >:(

On 2017-10-27 at 12:46 AM, Chieferific said:

Smith could be quite comfortable here, possibly perfect for us of all things.  Is he a UFA and what will his $ be?  

5 hours ago, Chieferific said:

This dude really has some issues. SMH...Unless the Steelers win the SB it's not worth putting up with these drama queens. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000869063/article/leveon-bell-calls-out-mimic-mixon-you-wanna-be-me

I actually didn't have a problem with that at all.  Basically said "don't talk, just prove you can do it".

21 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I actually didn't have a problem with that at all.  Basically said "don't talk, just prove you can do it".

this league seems to not have a social media etiquette  amongst teams in the way the have other team rules.  I don't observe every social media distraction that is out there, but it is something the fans will have to expect. There aren't coaches like Parcells or Ditka that would tell the players to stop social media, it aint happening.  

I don't see whats wrong with it TBH.  Apparently the tweet happened when Mixon scored and did Lev's TD celebration of holding the ball out and dropping it.  The actual team twitters have etiquette rules, but there's none with players.

Either way Bell is right:

Mixon went off talking about how he can do better than Bell, dressed like Bell, celebrated like Bell.  Kid can't even sniff Bell's jock right now so he needs to shut up and produce and show you can do these things first.

They don't have the cap room unless Ben retires...period.

Cuttubg Mitchell and McDonald give breathing room but that only takes care of draft picks the $2-3 mill they like having for in season management.

Shazier extension probably gives them another $3-4 mill in cap space. Boswell needs paid IIRC too though.

Offseadon needs as of now look Offense heavy as of now...QB-RB-TE...plus probably another S and some more fresh blood at OLB.

Archived