Madden '22 Prediction - Stafford/Rams and Goff/Lions

Karnage84

Matthew Stafford is bad with Rams
After an offseason that saw several teams make changes at quarterback, the biggest swap was when Detroit and Los Angeles flipped Matthew Stafford and Jared Goff. While many expect Stafford to thrive under Sean McVay this season, “Madden” felt differently. Stafford struggled to guide the Rams offense, throwing for just 16 touchdowns, his lowest full-season TD total since his rookie year, and leading the team to a 4-13 record. Goff, on the other hand, had a solid season with 4,490 yards and 28 TDs. Detroit had a better record than Los Angeles, but still missed the playoffs by finishing 7-10.

https://sports.yahoo.com/madden-nfl-22-predicts-the-2021-season-164926460.html?ncid=facebook_yahoosport_l0w2dc1068w&fbclid=IwAR1ZVl7mlu_0QpJNx-mNaoq1GT9cKzdQ3Rk9Fplx4Wj2TtYObserkQw2qSA

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2021 at 1:47 PM, detroitroar said:

I love Stafford, but this is pretty much a dream scenario. 

And if Goff has a good season, I'd absolutely shop him in the off-season. I like him but he only has so much upside. If we're gonna win a SB anytime soon, it's gonna have to be through several great QBs. 

I don't get this thinking.  If Goff plays well, it means he is reaching some of the potential he showed two years ago.  Why would you break it down and have to start over when we already have multiple early picks the next couple of years to build around him.  Building the D and WRs around Goff is more important that replacing him if he is good. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I don't get this thinking.  If Goff plays well, it means he is reaching some of the potential he showed two years ago.  Why would you break it down and have to start over when we already have multiple early picks the next couple of years to build around him.  Building the D and WRs around Goff is more important that replacing him if he is good. 

I'm on the fence about this.  If he has a good year this year do you trade him thinking he could be hot and cold from year to year?  In essence you don't really believe he is "that" guy, but you trade him while his value is hot. He was good two years ago, then he wasn't.  Which is the real Goff? Will we ever know? Sell high and buy low.

I could also see it as you don't trade him and say he is serviceable enough and you don't know what you're going to get through the draft.  He is young and let it play out and build around him.

I think both stances are fair.

Edited by LionArkie

40 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I explained it. He only has so much upside. We're trying to win a SB, not just be good.

Just cause you make a move at QB doesn't mean your breaking everything down. 

We're in the beginning of another rebuild, yet again. We have nice ammunition and should add as much as possible.

If he's great, I understand keeping him. Just good? Shop him. I'm not saying give him away, but if we could add another high pick or 2, I'd do it.

27 minutes ago, detroitroar said:

I explained it. He only has so much upside. We're trying to win a SB, not just be good.

Just cause you make a move at QB doesn't mean your breaking everything down. 

We're in the beginning of another rebuild, yet again. We have nice ammunition and should add as much as possible.

If he's great, I understand keeping him. Just good? Shop him. I'm not saying give him away, but if we could add another high pick or 2, I'd do it.

But how do you know where his upside is limited to?  He played in a Super Bowl 3 years ago.  If you have a team around him and coach to his strengths, he can win.  I get adding support to the rebuild but at some point you just have to build instead of rebuilding.  If you add a Goff to the Bears of the last few years, they likely are competing for a SB.  So build up the team around him unless he shows he absolutely isnt the guy.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

But how do you know where his upside is limited to?  He played in a Super Bowl 3 years ago.  If you have a team around him and coach to his strengths, he can win.  I get adding support to the rebuild but at some point you just have to build instead of rebuilding.  If you add a Goff to the Bears of the last few years, they likely are competing for a SB.  So build up the team around him unless he shows he absolutely isnt the guy.  

You don't think he has only so much upside? Yeah he was in the SB, and since then he has only regressed. 

I don't see Goff ever winning a SB. Yes, you could win with him, potentially. Everything would probably have to be right around him though. Garrapolo made the SB and he's garbage. Banking on winning a SB with a mediocre QB isn't likely. 

18 minutes ago, detroitroar said:

You don't think he has only so much upside? Yeah he was in the SB, and since then he has only regressed. 

I don't see Goff ever winning a SB. Yes, you could win with him, potentially. Everything would probably have to be right around him though. Garrapolo made the SB and he's garbage. Banking on winning a SB with a mediocre QB isn't likely. 

I think he has had a couple down years with a couple really good years before that.  I know he has it in him to be really good, its just finding that consistency.  He will never be Mahomes, but you don't have to be to win.  He is 26 years old, has #1 pick talent still, and hasn't had an awful year, just some years that weren't as impressive as he had previously.  The year before last, Aaron Rodgers had a similar QBR.  Do I think its super likely that Goff is the future? Not really, but that wasn't the issue here.  You said if he has a really good year, you flip him because you think he has limited upside.  But if he plays like he did in 2018, he has top 5 QB in the league potential.  So if he can play closer to those levels, why flip him?  The bad Goff is good enough to win games and make the playoffs on a good team, a good version of Goff is a Super Bowl contender.  So if he is good, just build around him.  Starting over at QB for another unknown is crazy to me if he shows anything worth keeping.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I think he has had a couple down years with a couple really good years before that.  I know he has it in him to be really good, its just finding that consistency.  He will never be Mahomes, but you don't have to be to win.  He is 26 years old, has #1 pick talent still, and hasn't had an awful year, just some years that weren't as impressive as he had previously.  The year before last, Aaron Rodgers had a similar QBR.  Do I think its super likely that Goff is the future? Not really, but that wasn't the issue here.  You said if he has a really good year, you flip him because you think he has limited upside.  But if he plays like he did in 2018, he has top 5 QB in the league potential.  So if he can play closer to those levels, why flip him?  The bad Goff is good enough to win games and make the playoffs on a good team, a good version of Goff is a Super Bowl contender.  So if he is good, just build around him.  Starting over at QB for another unknown is crazy to me if he shows anything worth keeping.  

Ummm, I said if he was good. If he's great, keep him. I don't see Goff ever being a top 5 QB again. 

You say you don't have to be Mahomes to win, but those cases where a non great QB wins a SB are few and far between.

7 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I mean, the OP has Goff throwing for almost 4500 yards and 28 TDs. If he did that with these WRs, that's not a guy you trade lol.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, detroitroar said:

Ummm, I said if he was good. If he's great, keep him. I don't see Goff ever being a top 5 QB again. 

You say you don't have to be Mahomes to win, but those cases where a non great QB wins a SB are few and far between.

I mean, Tom Brady has won half of the championships over the last 14 years so you can't really judge the non-great QB thing fairly.  He will be retired in a year or two and the league will open up again.  We still have seen Nick Foles win a SB, A Peyton manning who could barely throw, Brady has been carried by his D a few times, Flacco etc.  Ben Roethlisberger isnt a great QB, was never a top 5 QB in the league yet won SBs. Eli was never a top 5 QB in the league.  The playoffs are about defense and clutch plays.  If he is in the 8-12 range of QBs you keep him. If he is 13-17, you have to look at the supporting cast and see how much is on him and how much is on the lack of WR talent.  If he makes dumb decisions and throws to defenders chests and overthrows open guys, you move on from him.  But if he is serviceable, we can be contenders if we build up the D and keep improving the WR position.