Matt Lafleur's Offense

1 hour ago, cannondale said:

The second and third outlandish sentences don't make the first sentence any less true. 

Well it is not true, it is yet to be determined if it was a good pick, bad pick or or somewhere in between. Most draft picks take time to be seasoned professionals and for anyone to declare a late 3rd round pick a terrible pick after he has played 6 games in his career is a moronic statement. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, R T said:

Well it is not true, it is yet to be determined if it was a good pick, bad pick or or somewhere in between. Most draft picks take time to be seasoned professionals and for anyone to declare a late 3rd round pick a terrible pick after he has played 6 games in his career is a moronic statement. 

I think it was a terrible value where he was selected more than anything.  Even so, I don't think the expectation was that he would be a project player that needed a lot of time to develop.  Early on he kind of found a role, but the injury bug struck and now he seems a bit lost out there.  I hope he does well, but he's off to a rocky start to his career.

30 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think it was a terrible value where he was selected more than anything.  Even so, I don't think the expectation was that he would be a project player that needed a lot of time to develop.  Early on he kind of found a role, but the injury bug struck and now he seems a bit lost out there.  I hope he does well, but he's off to a rocky start to his career.

Since you don't know how good he can be (too early to tell, especially since he was injured), how can you possibly call the pick terrible value.........................unless you are valuing him according to some media evaluations or relying on your own examination of the all   22 ?

If Deguara is looking bad in the final couple of games this year, then maybe you are getting towards where you can make an evaluation - though I'd still say wait until after preseason in 2022, before talking value with any confidence. His position is not one where you can learn it quickly.

Remember Nelson and Adams before their third year, when they both really broke out (I know they were WRs but that is another position that takes time to learn).

I am as guilty as anyone in liking or not liking draft picks when they are taken, but even with picks I don't like (which this year would be Newman, Van Lanen, McDuffie) they normally deserve a couple of years to show what they have and whether they can develop.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 2
Just now, incognito_man said:

exactly.

let's all remember this comparison when we try to call DeGuara a bust or a bad pick 5 games into his career.

It's what we do. I hated it the moment it happened. 

1 minute ago, cannondale said:

It's what we do. I hated it the moment it happened. 

Same here .. I was like what, who?  I can't find this guy in any of my draft guides.  Oh here he is .. 5th to 6th round grade .. yuck.  Total disappointment.  Let hope the Packers chose right .. time will tell. 

1 minute ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Same here .. I was like what, who?  I can't find this guy in any of my draft guides.  Oh here he is .. 5th to 6th round grade .. yuck.  Total disappointment.  Let hope the Packers chose right .. time will tell. 

Lots of guys I don't know about. For me, it was more of a team building thing. I still have a conspiracy theory that MLF had his hands in those Top 3 picks

Just now, cannondale said:

Lots of guys I don't know about. For me, it was more of a team building thing. I still have a conspiracy theory that MLF had his hands in those Top 3 picks

I think most everyone would agree that he has significant input in picks, including that one.

I feel kinda bad for starting this.  I haven't given up on him and don't think you can judge the draft pick yet.  He looked promising early last year, which was the reason I was keeping an eye on him in the first place.  But, man, he just doesn't even belong on the field at this point.  

3 minutes ago, mikebpackfan said:

I feel kinda bad for starting this.  I haven't given up on him and don't think you can judge the draft pick yet.  He looked promising early last year, which was the reason I was keeping an eye on him in the first place.  But, man, he just doesn't even belong on the field at this point.  

He is still right on 11 months post ACL surgery, too. But I too was hoping he'd be a guy that would show something. I agree with above post saying "let's see how he looks at the end of the season". If we don't see improvement, that could be concerning. But he still hasn't had a full NFL offseason of actual training, either.

The offense feels like 2019, but schematically it doesn't look like 2019. 28th on early down efficiency. Needing to convert long 3rd downs out of rhythm. MLF mentioned tweaks to the offense to stay ahead of the curve, but it's been a struggle so far. I think you even have guys in the same area that shouldn't be (Cobb tipping the pass meant for Adams). Going with 11 personnel 62% of the time vs 55% last year. 21 personnel is down.

Fans talk about missing MVS. The lid is already off the defense. You don't need MVS for that. From what little you can gather from tv footage guys are covered down field. So Rodgers reverts back to the MM days and force feeds the only guy that can win in Adams. I called Lazard and MVS 35 catch per year guys, and I don't see anything to change my mind. I would have never guessed it possible, but Cobb is legit the #2 weapon. I think the scheme is struggling right now. I keep calling for hitting the backs on the flare routes because that's what is open. And Jones and Dillon can usually make the first guy miss. I don't know where the crossers went in the playbook, but I'd like to see if those could help. Was the lone Tonyan catch a crosser ? I don't recall.

Obviously, early down efficiency has to be better. You can't live and die with Adams and third down wizardry. Some say getting guys back on the OL will solve the issues, but I'm not so sure. The only thing I can think of is MLF hammering the short pass game until the defense adjusts, but maybe defenses will be fine with that.

Edit:

Just watched Rodgers on McAfee. On the 3rd and 15 field goal attempt. "Maybe give me and Tae one more chance to move the ball a little closer." He didn't say this out of malice on the decision, but I found it very interesting that he didn't say "give the offense one more chance." I think that was a slip on his part revealing where he's at with the current state of the offense.

Edited by cannondale
3 hours ago, cannondale said:

The offense feels like 2019, but schematically it doesn't look like 2019. 28th on early down efficiency. Needing to convert long 3rd downs out of rhythm. MLF mentioned tweaks to the offense to stay ahead of the curve, but it's been a struggle so far. I think you even have guys in the same area that shouldn't be (Cobb tipping the pass meant for Adams). Going with 11 personnel 62% of the time vs 55% last year. 21 personnel is down.

Fans talk about missing MVS. The lid is already off the defense. You don't need MVS for that. From what little you can gather from tv footage guys are covered down field. So Rodgers reverts back to the MM days and force feeds the only guy that can win in Adams. I called Lazard and MVS 35 catch per year guys, and I don't see anything to change my mind. I would have never guessed it possible, but Cobb is legit the #2 weapon. I think the scheme is struggling right now. I keep calling for hitting the backs on the flare routes because that's what is open. And Jones and Dillon can usually make the first guy miss. I don't know where the crossers went in the playbook, but I'd like to see if those could help. Was the lone Tonyan catch a crosser ? I don't recall.

Obviously, early down efficiency has to be better. You can't live and die with Adams and third down wizardry. Some say getting guys back on the OL will solve the issues, but I'm not so sure. The only thing I can think of is MLF hammering the short pass game until the defense adjusts, but maybe defenses will be fine with that.

Edit:

Just watched Rodgers on McAfee. On the 3rd and 15 field goal attempt. "Maybe give me and Tae one more chance to move the ball a little closer." He didn't say this out of malice on the decision, but I found it very interesting that he didn't say give the offense one more chance. I think that was a slip on his part revealing where he's at with the current state of the offense.

The OL's health will help Rodgers settle a bit which should help the accuracy issues. I don't think the offense is too far from going, but it's tough when you're not able to keep a stable starting 5 out there. 

If they consistently get Cobb working the middle and get MVS back then Adams will be able to do even more damage...which is impressive considering his line this past week.

It was also good to see them getting Dillon going in the passing game. Makes it a bit less predictable now when he's on the field.